Training music?

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
We use to listen to upbeat music, Michael Jackson music or that type of music that is upbeat and has a good tempo to it.

I still do when I work out, it motivates me when I'm by myself.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My instructor has this portable CD player so durning training, we always listen to tradition indonesian music. Usually, you don't even hear it when you're concentrating on the lesson, but while stretching etc, it's quite relaxing. However, my teachers just likes the music and it prevents people from talking to each other (even though it's not really loud or something) so there's no deeper meaning behind it.

When I'm training at home, I like to listen to power metal (sonata arctica etc.) or christian worship (Hillsongs united) because that's very exciting and happy music.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I'm working out by myself (to include my physical therapy) I have a blend of songs from movies with famous training scenes...Other than that I occasionally use what I have come to call "Angry White Man" music.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mix tapes- techno and hip hop. It's on during warmups and then also during stretching. Then it gets turned down once the class gets going. Mainly so explanations etc can be heard by all the trainees. However, when sparring is going on- Kru puts on traditional Thai music like they play in the ring.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love music; have been playing guitar since '72, and have a full studio in my living room :D but I need silence in the dojang. Dream Theater in the car on the way, sure, but I like quiet and no distractions when I'm actually in my gi/dobok and serious about the task at hand. Maybe in years to come when I have gotten to a higher level I'll change my mind but right now I can't do the music thing.

Being a musician I tend to start listening to the chords and melody line, thinking about the songs in terms of scales choices and chord variations, so music is never in the background for me. There's no such things as background music to a musician! :lol:

Sambone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I'm alone I love to listen to music when I am practicing. When in class I would find it to disruptive to teach or train, especially with the childrens class I sometimes teach. But yeah other than that music helps me stay focused on what I am doing. It doesn't ever seem to matter what type either. I could do a form while listening to heavy rock then turn around and do the same form to country. I know I'm weird.

Sam

Clapping_tiger

White Belt
Reaction score
Usually some hard rock or metal. Lately I have been liking Dropkick Murpheys. Your Spirits Alive, The Warriors Code, and I'm Shipping up to Boston are awesome for hard workouts.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the car on the way to class or work outs its heavy metal. On the way home its usually classic rock 60,70,80's. Occationally I put on a (dare I say ) country station. Classical stations if the traffic is getting on my nerves. I have a wide range when it comes to music.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't use any. Find it annoying myself. The only music I need is the sound of my hands and feet slicing through the air.