Music in the dojo

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Coaches, do you allow music to play in your dojo while practicing? Do you feel it distracts your students? Students, do you feel your performance is enhanced or hindered if music is played in your dojo?

Obviously not when your sensei is demonstrating, I mean during sparring.

I ask because there's been some articles suggesting that music actually helps one's performance and I was curious if the martial arts community agrees. I need to get back to running, it's been a while, but when I did I certainly saw a few seconds shaved off my time when I listened to music.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've actually always learned with music, whether BJJ or Taiji. It helps set the mood. Something "pumping" works for a sparring type situation and some relaxing music works for taiji.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Coaches, do you allow music to play in your dojo while practicing? Do you feel it distracts your students? Students, do you feel your performance is enhanced or hindered if music is played in your dojo?

Obviously not when your sensei is demonstrating, I mean during sparring.

I ask because there's been some articles suggesting that music actually helps one's performance and I was curious if the martial arts community agrees. I need to get back to running, it's been a while, but when I did I certainly saw a few seconds shaved off my time when I listened to music.
we have live music (the lion dance team is always playing in the background) hahaha.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
If Guro Dan says it's okay it's okay ;).

That said we don't have live music lol, we just play it when it seems to make sense. More so during the Kali segments than the Wing Chun for some reason.

At home when training by myself I prefer stuff by these guys Kadangyan’s Biography — Free listening, videos, concerts, stats and photos at Last.fm unless I am doing something real slow (say Wing Chung forms in SLOW motion), then I tend to be somewhat stereotypical and listen to Kitaro or something. It helps heaps, especially in early stages of learning imo.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions