What Music Do You Practice With?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why do you use that type of music if you use music? Why do you not use music to practice?

B

Black Bear

Funny thing, there was an experiment in which it was shown that background drumbeats could actually cause people to hit heavy bags harder.

We play stuff that has a beat to it. My instructor likes hip hoppish stuff, world music and movie soundtracks.

N

Ninway J

My sifu plays slow instrumental music, chinese or non-chinese, in taijiquan class.

In other martial arts classes I've heard dance music played in Monkey Kung Fu class, Hip-Hop in boxing or kickboxing class, and traditional Capoeira music (of course) in Capoeira class.

I've noticed that Japanese or Korean martial arts usually have no music in their classes.

D

Danny

Rock music. We're supposed to put on dance music, but us instructors can only handle listening to that stuff for so many hours a night.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hard Rock (AC/DC, Metallica, Gun's n Roses). I find that it helps keep me "pumped up" when I'm doing bag work, sparring, or body-work. On the other end of the stick, I listen to a lot of classical because I can concentrate better that way.

Q

Quick Sand

Originally posted by Black Bear
Funny thing, there was an experiment in which it was shown that background drumbeats could actually cause people to hit heavy bags harder.

I've never heard of that study but it doesn't surprise at all. There have also been many studies showing that the tempo (speed) of music played in a grocery store can increase sales by simply being increased by a few beats per minute. It makes people feel a bit more rushed and they tend to impulse buy more. It also decreases the average time spent in the store. You can also notice it in many restaurants. At busy times like lunch they will play faster music to encourage people to get in and out quickly so they can serve more people, at slower times, like mid-afternoon or something, they will often play slower music to encourage people to sit and relax order another drink, get desert etc. There's actually a huge industry geared towards producing music specifically for these types of things. It's often called Muzak.

We don't listen to music in my TKD class but I wish we did.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oddly enough ...

my favorite music to spar to is :

The Mortal Combat soundtrack.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on what we're doing during class. For Sparring it's generally Techno, Rock or soothing wail :D.. I tend to love to beat of Swing but the younger crowd frowns on that..on Friday nights we train in FMA and ya never know what our Demented (Love ya Stickdummy ~!) Instructor will pull outta his bag.. anything from 'Kill Bill' Soundtrack to Austin Powers.. *insert scream here~! *

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We play stuff that has a beat to it. My instructor likes hip hoppish stuff, world music and movie soundtracks.

I listen to the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack when I practice sometimes. When I'm doing endurence drills, I'll listen to the part when Conan is strapped to the wheel of pain and repeat in my head, "that which does not kill us, only makes us stronger."

B

Black Bear

Muzak (TM) is the name of a particular company that engineers "music" with commercial ends in mind. Actually in department stores, they play music on the slow side to INCREASE the time spent in-store, which secondarily increases purchases. Muzak in offices has actually been shown to reduce tardiness and absenteeism.

Hello Danny. I train at The Training Centre in Edmonton.

Q

Quick Sand

I know that Muzak is a trademark name of a company but many people use it as a general term today. Like when people say they're going "rollerblading", technically that's a trademark too. I was just using it in a general way.

As to what tempo music a specific store uses, it depends on their market, the type of store, the time of day etc. Again, just a general example. Some use faster and others use slower. :shrug:

M

markulous

The Best of Rocky soundtrack. Eye of the Tiger and Gonna Fly Now just make you want to kick @$$. :D

T

Ty K. Doe

The Daredevil soundtrack has some great songs to work out to.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
here's our current mix we use...

Drowning Pool - Bodies
Black Eyed Peas feat. Papa Roach - Anxiety
Linkin Park - Hit The Floor
Soil - Breaking Me Down
Disturbed - Down With The Sickness
Lunatic Calm - Leave You Far Behind
New Order - Confusion
Blur - Song 2
Prodigy - Smack My ***** Up
The Vines - Get Free
Linkin Park - One Step Closer
Papa Roach - Last Resort
Nickelback - Learn The Hard Way
Theory Of A Deadman - Invisible Man
Distrubed - Prayer
Kid Rock - Bawitiba
Rob Zombie - Dragula[Remix]
Trapt - Headstrong
The Offspring - Staring At The Sun
Limp Bizkit - My Way
Sugarcult - Bouncing Off The Walls[Remix]

I listen to hard rock to metal for the sheer aggression of some of it, that tends to get the adrenaline going for me

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i prefer no music...to me personally, i prefer to have an empty mind when working out, which is 5 days a week 1 hour a night, not including time spent on private lesson in studio. i once tried working out to music @ my in home studio but quite often found myself more in-tune with the background music than the workout itself...also for me, listening to high rate, bumpin music tends to make my work-out/technique flow faster, often skimping on the accuracy and form of my techniques. i'd rather have an "empty cup" when working out.

i can see where energetic music might be of some use when working the bags but my bag work is usually done in the studio and we dont listen to music there either...

just my 2 cents

Your Friend in Zen,

Sapper6

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use music in the bag room, but normally slow chinese flute type music if any during kung fu training. Sometimes it will be clinad or something to that effect.

Do you have any sources for that experiment? That would be interesting to research.

7sm

C

chaosomega

I like to listen to the harder stuff (metal) when I train; Cryptopsy, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, System of a Down, etc... One time my friend put on some Sepultura while we hit the bags and sparred.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like to have some music that provides some rythm but doesn't distract the students from the workout. I play a lot of Hossam Ramzy, a traditional egyptian percussionist. His music is basically traditional muslim drumming and it's pretty good for subtly keeping the pace. I recommend his Sabla Tolo 1 & 2. I also like to play bhangra music or kulintang music.

B

Black Bear

7starmantis, sorry, can't help you on that. I don't remember if you're a student or not, but you could ask a student- or professor-friend to do a database search for you.