What Stand alone punching bag?

Samuraifan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am not quite to sure if this is the right section to post in but, at the moment I am looking to get purchase a stand alone punching bag with both the bag and the stand itself or a freestanding unit. The only martial arts supplier I am familiar with at the moment is Samurai but if you take a glance at the website everything seems rather pricey from my opinion. So can anyone recommend a good quality and cheap stand alone punching bag?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.centuryfitness.com/webap...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=13518&crumb=13501

There are two on that page, but they are $240 & $280.
In my area, I can get a similar one to the first one for about half that price at the local Sports Authority store, but the Sports Authority website does not list them.

On a side note, I built a heavy bag stand for around $35 out of two by fours, four by fours, and some simple hardware. Here are the blueprints:
http://i1.tinypic.com/200wiuh.jpg
I used long screws and carriage bolts to piece it together. You may want to change the measurements some, but it works very well for me. Needless to say, you will have to concrete it into the ground.

AoG

OP
Samuraifan

Samuraifan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It never actually occured to me to build it, but really i don't think my parents would be too happy with a punching bag sitting in their back yard, but all the same i will ask and see what happens. If not, I thinking of getting the Cornerman from the other website you mentioned.

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
cool

I have been looking for something like this. A couple of questions if you don't mind: Howfar deep did you bury it? What size bag do you have attached. did you add cement to the base? How does it stand up to the side to side strain generated by kicks and tricks? Do you have some photos what it looks like? I have also looked at the cornerman but tought it would look ugly if I placed it in the yard/garden.

thanks

g

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Samuraifan said:
It never actually occured to me to build it, but really i don't think my parents would be too happy with a punching bag sitting in their back yard.

Do you have a tree you can hang it from in your backyard? That is what I did when I was in my teens, living at my parents' house.

AoG

OP
Samuraifan

Samuraifan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately no, i have a couple in the front but in the back besides the clothes line its just the plain grass.

OP
Samuraifan

Samuraifan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, but I just have 1 more question. What one would you reccommend, a stand-alone punching bag, or one of those ones with the stand? if it is a stand-alone punching bag wouldn't it fall over sometimes after you hit it?

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
They had a standing type punching air bag with a set of arms at the last place i trained at, and it would fall over every time u put power into it. This is one of the reasons we mostly relied on the century bag hooked up to a cornerman.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod note:

Thread moved to General Martial Arts.

Mike Slosek
MT Supermod

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There is a commercial school in town that has over a dozen stand alone bags (century) fill with water and is ajustable (LIke Bob).

There is one problem with it...over time it leaks/breaks. I still have mines for years..but dozen get kick or use alot like commecial schools. (No problems yet).

You may want to use get to metal stands ones..it will be yours forever and if you move? You can take it with you! .....Aloha

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Century stand alone bags can be knocked over and they do leak over time. The other problem I have with them is that I hate chasing it around the room. I prefer double ended hanging bags.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Forgot to mention. My TKD instructor came over & used my Ultraman for about 3 minutes, and immediately ordered 2 of them for his school. :)

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a BOB, cool concept, but it was too easy to knock down. The bases are not wide enough to support the bag. You are better off with a plain old canvas heavy bag. You can get the bag and heavy duty stand for the price of some stand alone bags.

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in this...
I would love to have a cornerman with a heavy bag attached, but I have a height restriction...
My workout space is in my basement, and the ceiling height is roughly 5' 10" in height, so I am guessing that the afore-mentioned is out of the question...
I am really happy that the system that I am studying doesn't have many flying kicks, or aerial manuevers...
So, the Century would be the way to go, I guess...

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in this...
I would love to have a cornerman with a heavy bag attached, but I have a height restriction...
My workout space is in my basement, and the ceiling height is roughly 5' 10" in height, so I am guessing that the afore-mentioned is out of the question...
I am really happy that the system that I am studying doesn't have many flying kicks, or aerial manuevers...
So, the Century would be the way to go, I guess...

ultra1.jpg

Check out the ultraman, it takes up less space, height and base, than the century cornerman.

http://www.karateconnection.com/IKCA6.pdf

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a WaveMaster XXL. It is filled with sand and I have an egg crate (one of those things that goes on top of a matress) that it sit on top of. This keeps it from both moving too much and cracking. The downside is that the foam is starting to break down and Im feeling the plastic core inside it when I hit hard. This is probably to be expected though from years of abuse.