Musashi said...

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Musashi may have been emphasizing the need to cultivate one's ability to innovate, react, adapt.

Puts me to mind of an illustration my marketing 101 teacher told us once. A tool company was making 3/16" drill bits based on the assumption that what their customers wanted was 3/16"drill bits. They were product-based in their thinking. OTOH another company approached it from a different angle: what the customer wanted wasn't 3/16" drill bits but 3/16" holes. This company was solution-driven in their thinking. Ultimately, the solution-driven company prevailed in the marketplace.

I believe Musashi was a very solution-driven kind of guy.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read Complete Writing of Miyamoto Musashi and they describe almost every one of Musashi's duels and his travels throughout Japan and I don;t remember this at all. i do remember that HE was about 12 when he fought his first duel. Can you provide mroe detail on this?

I remember him writing about teaching a 12 year old how to beat (with 2 swords) the Samurai who had killed his father, but not Musashi killing a 12 year old.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Book of Five Rings is one I have read a lot over time. There are many different translations. The version by Victor Harris was the first one I owned. The writings are meant to be contemplated as you train. As you progress in your practice the writings and messages change in line with your own development. The Zen influence is key, and the more you delve into the subject, the deeper your understanding becomes. Attachment is a major component of Zen Buddhism. As for the weapon in his quote - well, your answer will depend on how wide, or narrow, your understanding of a weapon truly is :)

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve read so many translations and still find it rather obscure! So very little is know about him, often being coloured by myth and legend. Many noted swordsman over the years, have suggested he was either an enlightened erudite being or a murderous psychopath who’s martial success was merely due to his big stature and physique in a land where most men were only 152cm (five feet) tall! The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Musashi is said to have coined the term ‘Mikiri’ which means ‘seeing with cutting minuteness’ or ‘perspicaciousness’ and he used his keen insight to avoid fighting with swordsmen he knew he couldn’t defeat, so it wasn’t a case of taking on all comers. A skill in itself but it does suggest he knew he wasn’t the ultimate warrior and most think he was?

F6EDF511-8E4E-4E00-9F0F-228F10649A73.jpeg

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember him writing about teaching a 12 year old how to beat (with 2 swords) the Samurai who had killed his father, but not Musashi killing a 12 year old.
He did kill a very young boy (estimates range from 9-12 yrs old) who had become the family head of the Yoshioka clan after Musashi had killed or maimed his older brothers. The Yoshioka family is still extant in Kyoto and continue their traditional trade of cloth dyeing.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve read so many translations and still find it rather obscure! So very little is know about him, often being coloured by myth and legend. Many noted swordsman over the years, have suggested he was either an enlightened erudite being or a murderous psychopath who’s martial success was merely due to his big stature and physique in a land where most men were only 152cm (five feet) tall! The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Musashi is said to have coined the term ‘Mikiri’ which means ‘seeing with cutting minuteness’ or ‘perspicaciousness’ and he used his keen insight to avoid fighting with swordsmen he knew he couldn’t defeat, so it wasn’t a case of taking on all comers. A skill in itself but it does suggest he knew he wasn’t the ultimate warrior and most think he was?

View attachment 29868
The problem with writings like Gorin no Sho is that Musashi did not draw on Confucian analects or Buddhist laws in writing it. This makes is very ambiguous and open to interpretation. Especially for those that have never even practiced NIR but chose to try and interpret it.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with writings like Gorin no Sho is that Musashi did not draw on Confucian analects or Buddhist laws in writing it. This makes is very ambiguous and open to interpretation. Especially for those that have never even practiced NIR but chose to try and interpret it.
Yes, it’s an aide mémoire for those who practised NIR so had a good idea of what was going on. If you tried to understand the notes I make during a class, you’d find it very difficult indeed!

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Book of Five Rings is one I have read a lot over time. There are many different translations. The version by Victor Harris was the first one I owned. The writings are meant to be contemplated as you train. As you progress in your practice the writings and messages change in line with your own development. The Zen influence is key, and the more you delve into the subject, the deeper your understanding becomes. Attachment is a major component of Zen Buddhism. As for the weapon in his quote - well, your answer will depend on how wide, or narrow, your understanding of a weapon truly is :)
But on page 35 of Victor's translation is this: To write this book I did not use the law of Buddha or the teachings of Confucius, neither old war chronicles nor books on martial tactics. I take up my brush to explain the true spirit of this Ichi school as it is mirrored in the Way of heaven and Kwannon. The time is the night of the tenth day of the tenth month, at the hour of the tiger
8 (3-5 a.m.)

But of course other writings have deep buddhist meaning. I have looked at kanji in Imai Soke's book then spent hours on the phone with Iwami Soke trying to put things in proper context. Imai Soke had two hearing aids so we could not say too much on the phone. So we did reams of message cassettes. Just one quote from Dokkodo fills a whole page with Buddhist context.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Musashi was also an artist and a poet amongst other things. Life itself is very ambiguous and open to interpretation. This only becomes a problem if your mind is attached to certain ideas and outcomes. Musashi's words have inspired many throughout the world. Not everyone need practice the sword to gain value from reading his thoughts.

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Musashi was also an artist and a poet amongst other things.
I can’t remember if any of his poems are still extant.
Life itself is very ambiguous and open to interpretation. This only becomes a problem if your mind is attached to certain ideas and outcomes.
Which they always are. We all have a world view that colours our interpretations of things. We cannot escape that.
Musashi's words have inspired many througout the world. Not everyone need practice the sword to gain value from reading his thoughts.
I agree.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Musashi was also an artist and a poet amongst other things. Life itself is very ambiguous and open to interpretation. This only becomes a problem if your mind is attached to certain ideas and outcomes. Musashi's words have inspired many throughout the world. Not everyone need practice the sword to gain value from reading his thoughts.
Yes I would totally agree. Dokkodo is my bible but like any religion/philosophy we can only do our best to follow. For a sure a lot of NIR practitioners seem to have no thoughts whatsoever in following what he wrote. Agenda monkeys in abundance.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve not read Musashi, but do know who he was. In FMA we train to be the weapon. Rattan sticks, knives, pencils and knitting needles all have their own personalities. You need to understand those personalities to use them effectively. I believe Musashi trained to be the weapon and understood that what ever weapon he was using was an extension of himself with their own personalities. He was well trained and exceptional. One of my GM’s fought in the jungles, had numerous “encounters” with the enemy, lived to talk about it and trained others to do it. He too was well trained and exceptional. Unfortunately, I’m partially trained and not really exceptional to those standards.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve not read Musashi, but do know who he was. In FMA we train to be the weapon. Rattan sticks, knives, pencils and knitting needles all have their own personalities. You need to understand those personalities to use them effectively. I believe Musashi trained to be the weapon and understood that what ever weapon he was using was an extension of himself with their own personalities. He was well trained and exceptional. One of my GM’s fought in the jungles, had numerous “encounters” with the enemy, lived to talk about it and trained others to do it. He too was well trained and exceptional. Unfortunately, I’m partially trained and not really exceptional to those standards.
Using a weapon as an extension of oneself is an essential element of any Japanese sword art.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve not read Musashi, but do know who he was. In FMA we train to be the weapon. Rattan sticks, knives, pencils and knitting needles all have their own personalities. You need to understand those personalities to use them effectively. I believe Musashi trained to be the weapon and understood that what ever weapon he was using was an extension of himself. He was well trained and exceptional. One of my GM’s fought in the jungles, had numerous “encounters” with the enemy, lived to talk about it and trained others to do it. He too was well trained and exceptional. Unfortunately, I’m partially trained and not really exceptional to those standards.
Using a weapon as an extension of oneself is an essential element of any Japanese sword art.
I would imagine every culture has its swashbuckling heroes.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
My editions of Musashi and Sun Tzu are bruised, battered and beaten from continued study - these books are beneficial no matter what your preferred style or choice of weapon.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not a concept unique to swordsmanship. Tennis, golf, baseball, wielding an axe, driving a car or flying a plane etc have this idea that the tool should become an extension of one’s body. It’s called mechanosensory association. I have a friend who is a poor driver (he was late to driving and took 4 attempts to pass his test!) and when being in his passenger seat, you can see he doesn’t ‘anticipate’ gear changes/clutch depression with approaching increasing engine revs etc (I realise this may all be alien to our US cousins) or anticipate important points in driving. He hears the engine struggling a little and then jerkily changes up the gearbox. His car hasn’t permeated his mind/body axis (mechanosensory dissociation).

Mechanosensory association usually comes with active practise and I sometimes wonder if there’s a ‘critical period’ for it’s deep acquisition.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is not a concept unique to swordsmanship. Tennis, golf, baseball, wielding an axe, driving a car or flying a plane etc have this idea that the tool should become an extension of one’s body. It’s called mechanosensory association. I have a friend who is a poor driver (he was late to driving and took 4 attempts to pass his test!) and when being in his passenger seat, you can see he doesn’t ‘anticipate’ gear changes/clutch depression with approaching increasing engine revs etc (I realise this may all be alien to our US cousins) or anticipate important points in driving. He hears the engine struggling a little and then jerkily changes up the gearbox. His car hasn’t permeated his mind/body axis (mechanosensory dissociation).

Mechanosensory association usually comes with active practise and I sometimes wonder if there’s a ‘critical period’ for it’s deep acquisition.
I know people that still cant use a knife and fork :p

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For some, my gut says yes. It doesn't mean it can't be overcome, but I've found that kids who grow up with a tennis racket in their hand have a naturalness to their movement that others don't. Same with soccer-people doing rondos/juggling from a young age tend to be much more comfortable manipulating the ball then people who don't.

Of course, that could not have to do with a critical growing period, but instead a simple matter of time spent learning. Though there is research that neuroplasticity is at the front of the growing teenage mind (heh), and it wouldn't surprise me to find that this is even truer for younger children.

Latest Discussions