Review of Street Sword by Phil Elmore

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Althaur,

I failed to find a review by you at for Mr Elmore's book at Amazon.com. Maybe you might want to post it there as well.

I do have concerns about the qualifications, or rather lack of them, for Mr Elmore.

I understand that he has not sought out instruction in sword work, or really any art, to a level that would allow him to instruct and use the name of the school. He also makes a lot of fun of people who do get that type of instruction and pokes fun at their use of tradition and such.

But here is a quick, blunt question for Mr. Elmore and anyone else who wishes to come up with their own stuff....

As an adult, have you ever been so scared in a violent situation that you lost control of your bowels?

I fear that this will only get me some nasty comments, but it is a very valid question.

Under states of extreme fear your body does certain things. These things are not an issue as you train or put things together in a safe place. But when you are really sacred for you life you lose fine motor control, your vision goes tunnel, your sense of time changes, you can't access certain skills and your body tries to void your lower intestine out your anus.

So if you have not soiled your trousers, you have never experienced all the other things that could take what you do and make it very, very different. What seems to work in a dojo or in sparring just might fall apart as your body changes under the influence of adrenaline and your mind is controlled more by the amygdala than by the rational portions of the mind.

And in that state, you might find that many of the things you tossed away as being kept for mere sake of tradition actually had a use. They may not be obvious until you actually get in that state, but that does not mean that they are not there.

It may be that if you were to study something so deeply that you achieved master status along with a lot of inquiries into the nature of the body under stress you might someday be able to tell what is useful and what can be tossed away. Maybe. Maybe not. But as I understand it, Mr Elmore has claimed to be a student of physics as his qualification for coming up with his method of swordsmanship. That seems very far from even the minimum to tell if what he does will stand up even when someone is so scared they soil their trousers.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. E's post seemed very polite and respectful. It's certainly critical, but in a well reasoned and insightful way.

Are you perchance referring to someone else's post?

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Althaur,

I failed to find a review by you at for Mr Elmore's book at Amazon.com. Maybe you might want to post it there as well.

I do have concerns about the qualifications, or rather lack of them, for Mr Elmore.

I understand that he has not sought out instruction in sword work, or really any art, to a level that would allow him to instruct and use the name of the school. He also makes a lot of fun of people who do get that type of instruction and pokes fun at their use of tradition and such.

But here is a quick, blunt question for Mr. Elmore and anyone else who wishes to come up with their own stuff....

As an adult, have you ever been so scared in a violent situation that you lost control of your bowels?

I fear that this will only get me some nasty comments, but it is a very valid question.

Under states of extreme fear your body does certain things. These things are not an issue as you train or put things together in a safe place. But when you are really sacred for you life you lose fine motor control, your vision goes tunnel, your sense of time changes, you can't access certain skills and your body tries to void your lower intestine out your anus.

So if you have not soiled your trousers, you have never experienced all the other things that could take what you do and make it very, very different. What seems to work in a dojo or in sparring just might fall apart as your body changes under the influence of adrenaline and your mind is controlled more by the amygdala than by the rational portions of the mind.

And in that state, you might find that many of the things you tossed away as being kept for mere sake of tradition actually had a use. They may not be obvious until you actually get in that state, but that does not mean that they are not there.

It may be that if you were to study something so deeply that you achieved master status along with a lot of inquiries into the nature of the body under stress you might someday be able to tell what is useful and what can be tossed away. Maybe. Maybe not. But as I understand it, Mr Elmore has claimed to be a student of physics as his qualification for coming up with his method of swordsmanship. That seems very far from even the minimum to tell if what he does will stand up even when someone is so scared they soil their trousers.

Those who can't do, teach.

Perhaps a chapter on soiled underwear will be in Book II.

OK, joking aside, there's a lot of books out there written by complete frauds and after reading some, I've felt like I came away knowing even less than when I started. But at least they made me start asking questions and seek out those who really know. So maybe we should be a little bit more thankful that this book was written.

OK, nevermind that. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gents, if you want to discuss poo, I suggest frequenting the Dirty Job forums. Mike Rowe is an expert in that substance I hear.

In the mean time, lets stick to discussing the merits or lack thereof as it may be, of the book in question, and try to do so without letting any personal bias in regards to Mr. Elmore flavor your comments.

K?

Danke. :asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, we have a book, written by someone with minimal knowledge of such, being published and presented as an instructional guide?

One would hope that a reputable publisher would check credentials before publishing.

Oh well. I'm off to write "Advanced Tactical Combat Techniques for the Home - Defeating the Home Invader with a tv remote and a couch cushion."
Available soon $29.95/$35.96 CAN.

Master we have alot of book published by people with little or no experience in what they talk about. I do not believe this to be an issue, anybody with any knowledge will be able to see right though this book and be able to find a legitament writter with actual facts about there topic.

In today society any tom dick or harry has the right to confuse and mis guide any so called human being, it is on of our rights of being an American we the peole can BS anybody or something like that.

The book itself is very amature at best and before I get quated no I do not staudy swordsart but my sifu friend has been for thirty year and he found the book to be what I have said.

In closing I would hope everybody that reads books about some sort of SD od Martial Arts can take the time to find out if the writer has any real clue to what they are saying.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gents, if you want to discuss poo, I suggest frequenting the Dirty Job forums.

Sorry. I apologize for bringing it up.

But it just seems to work as a great way to seperate the guys with experience from those jsut telling tall tales. The guy who really had a close call with death might not volunteer the information and look a little sheepish while admiting it, but he will own up to it.

But the guy looking to impress others with his lies doesn't think it makes him look good to admit losing control of his bodily functions.

I waffled on mentioning it, but felt it was the best way to make my point about just how different the body reacts in a real situation from the dry physics lesson of the dojo.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well Mr. E,
I've been in a number of life threatening situations. There are a couple that I'm not really sure to this day how I survived. I've never lost control of my bowels.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
So we have devolved from discussing fantasy swordplay to the possible requirement of wearing depends beneath our chain maile. My past interactions with the author of this book as well as participating regularly on his fan club forum give me only one logical conclusion. His work is fiction, with enough fact to fool the ill and un informed, but is no substitute for training under a qualified and competent instructor. Mr. E's comments on the bodies reaction to stress is a fair one, however, not everyone reacts the same. I've been in situations, never had an involuntary expulsion of fecal matter, however I have had racing pulse, dry mouth, time distortion and a Gordian Knot in the pit of me stomach. As with any situation, there are the theory and the practical. We can drill theory all we like, we won't know our own reaction to the practical until it arrives, and how many of us look forward to that, eh?

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
&#20013;&#22269;&#26690;&#26519; (Guilin, China)
Well Mr. E,
I've been in a number of life threatening situations. There are a couple that I'm not really sure to this day how I survived. I've never lost control of my bowels.

Amen. Just because you have an erupting anus doesn't mean everyone ***** themselves every time they see a big scary man. I have pissed myself, but that's another story... =P

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, return to the original topic.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Senior Moderator-

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If we can get back on track I do have a question for the original reviewer.

I did not see anything in the review about the particulars of using a sword in an enclosed space. Was that an oversight of the review, or is there really nothing in the book?

Most books on doing kenjutsu or fencing do not deal with the idea of fighting in tight quarters. Many battles occured outside.

So is the assumption that these skills are to actually used on the street?

In a recent thread about a home invasion had someone say that there was a sword hanging near them that they would use if anyone tried to invade their home. I also have a few pointy objects around my place. Actually, I have more blades than a combine. What can I say, I have issues.

And I know ways of using a sword in the confines of a room. It is not a common skill and belongs to the realm of advanced training. But it does exist.

Am I correct in assuming that there is nothing in Mr Elmore's book on the particulars of using a sword when a ceiling or door frame might be involved?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To elaborate a little on the 'confined space' issue, most of the more 'advanced' forms in MJER are to do with using the sword in a restricted environment. For the book not to cover the ground covered by the koryu arts speaks volumes (yeah, book-pun attack :D!).

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
To elaborate a little on the 'confined space' issue, most of the more 'advanced' forms in MJER are to do with using the sword in a restricted environment. For the book not to cover the ground covered by the koryu arts speaks volumes (yeah, book-pun attack :D!).

Sounds like you and I are on the same page here.

Latest Discussions