The Martial Arts Theory of Everything

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"The principle of strategy is having one thing, to know ten thousand things..."-Miyamoto Musashi

The topic a friend and I have been discussing around the coffee cup lately is the “ultimate purpose” of studying martial arts. What is the real purpose we spend our time and money in the dojo? Granted different people come to MA schools for different reasons; self-defense, self-improvement, fitness, art, etc. then there are some who desire to live a “martial lifestyle”, which I want to discuss here. In my definition, a “martial lifestyle” goes beyond mere physical technique.

Differences in size, strength, fitness, experience etc. make it virtually impossible for any style of martial art to guarantee success in a confrontation to any degree of certainty. Internal aspects of mindset, situational awareness and “fighting spirit” have as large a role in combat as technique. We all have probably met black belts who, while technically proficient, would probably get their @$$ kicked in a fight. I’ve seen some people, very good MA’ists, loose their “fighting spirit” the moment they caught a good shot to the face. Martial Arts is ultimately (IMHO) a way of thinking as much as it’s a physical exercise. Musashi states in the book of five rings (loosely) “The way is not found in pursuits such as tea, flower arranging or dancing. But when the way is understood it can be found in everything”. I interpret this to mean that once you have realized the “martial lifestyle” you begin to see MA’s in other pursuits and realize that other skills can enhance your martial arts practice. Not too long ago, Paul M. posted that his hockey playing crossed over into this. He began to see MA principles enhancing his play and the physical training/athletic mindset enhancing his MA.

The Samurai, one of the most proficient individual fighters in history studied many different weapons, skills and arts; sword, bow, spear, horseback riding, swimming, unarmed fighting, firearms, fortifications etc. Our modern elite warriors (SEAL/DELTA etc.) have to be trained in many skills other than fighting; communications, navigation, driving, climbing, rappelling, combat medicine, call for fire (arty/air support), demolitions, as well as weapon skills and CQB, to name a few. The question I have is why do many martial artists believe themselves to be “warriors” (I’ve seen what I believe to be misuse of that term often) just because they are trained in unarmed/contact weapon fighting? One of the things I like about the recent trend towards “combatives” is that it approaches fighting as the unarmed component of self-defense. An issue in this approach is where does the burden lie in training? Is it on the student to determine his/her course and find the training on his or her own? Should instructors be bringing in seminar instructors on various topics or network with various sources to make other skills available? (i.e. bringing in Red Cross first aid instructors, NRA firearms teachers to train firearm safety)

Well, I could keep on going on this topic, about what I believe training should include and so on, but I think Ill stop here…. anybody of similar mentality?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"The principle of strategy is having one thing, to know ten thousand things..."-Miyamoto Musashi

I love that quote. I will respond briefly.

I think that if Martial Arts don't cross over into your daily life, then you are not really a "warrior." Just because I spar on Tuesdays and/or tapi-tapi on thursdays, this does not make me a warrior.

Those who fit the Bill more readily to be warriors would be active Military and LEO. Why? Because their jobs depend on their combative abilities from one degree to another, so thier combative training immediately crosses over into their jobs, and their daily lives. They should be walking the walk.

However, what about people who aren't in the protection field? THey have to strive a bit harder to walk like a warrior. They have to carry over their martial arts into their everyday lives.

Now, I can't speak for others, but one way that Martial Arts carries over into my daily life is through the idea of "perfection." I train for perfection; I train to achieve a 'perfect' fighting ability. Yet, the more I train, the more I realize how far away from perfect I really am. Yet the more I realize how perfect I am not, the better I become. So its a constant paradox between struggle and conflict, to harmony and improvement that allows me to get better in the martial arts every day. This will continue until I die.

I try to carry over this paradox of perfection into my daily life. I try to do better, and strive for perfection in all that I do. And the more I fail, as in martial arts, the more I can overcome, and the better I can become.

With that, I think its time that I get back to work, and strive for perfection here in my career! ;)

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seing the lack of response, I was going to let this thread die out. But something that Paul said about being a warrior made me think...perhaps there should be a distinction between being a "warrior" and having a "warrior mindset".

Perhaps on an occupational level, military/LEO's are our societies equivalent of warriors, but within those occupations (having some experience in bolth) there are some (many?) that dont have a "warrior mindset". Many just see it as a job. "Warriorship" isnt a byproduct of occupation, it is a way of thinking that I think everybody is capable of.

D

Dijos

Hear, Hear!
There still is a Warrior class-Leo/military and others. People who fought for a living, or as part of living are largely passed except for a select few. Many of us are probably thankful that they do not have to defend the village every day..sometimes I think there's too much art, and not enough Martial. We train for weapons that are carried and used by people of today-Just because there weren't guns in the 15th century doesn't mean I won't run into them-likewise, Who wears a gi in real life? If I grab someone's t-shirt to throw, it's likel that it will tear, and my oponent will land on me. I feel the growth of combatives is an attempt to regain warrior spirit-remember, the weak would have been killed quickly on the battlefield.--Joe :asian:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read a bio by a Vietnam era SEAL "Bear" Enoch, who talked about the training he was encouraged to get. Some of the unexpected skills based on stereotypic views were things like horseback riding, mule packing CDL licensing, Herbology, thatching and stuff that sounds like summercamp activities more than Elite combat skills.

The impression that I got from this was that, civilian or military/leo, part of the warrior spirit and mentallity is to take in any experience, knowledge and skill and constantly be learning, because you never know how or when some bizaar piece of knowledge can come in handy. It reminds me of the old McGyver series where he used rough science to solve crisis problems. My only problem was his refusal to use guns and the like, but it was only tv.

Paul Martin

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dijos
Hear, Hear!
There still is a Warrior class-Leo/military and others.

IMO Warrior class implies that there are knights and family lines that raise and produce warriors. It isn't exactly that way now, though there are families that do keep the tradition alive by choice. The big difference is that we don't have veterans/military/leo that have more voting power or civil rights based on their 'warrior' status.

The warrior tradition is still alive and well, but in the form of soldiers/serviceman and women in our time. Anyone, at least in America, who meets the minimal health, citizenry, and intelligence standards can enlist in the service of their country and be afforded the opportunity to go from the lowest to the highest rank available. In the days of warrior classes and castes, knights were knights and very rarely would a peasant even be able to enter the class.

Paul M

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly! Thats why I believe that being a "warrior" is not an issue of occupation. Its a way of thinking/looking at life.

S

sercuerdasfigther

military and leo=soldiers paid to fight the battles they are told to fight.

warrior= one adapt at combat who fights the battles the see just.

just my opinion.

rob

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are warriors that are the real thing like the Special Ops and then there are wanna bees. No matter how much I train, what my mind set is I am still a wanna bee.

I have spent the last 3 years with the 1st group SF here at Fort Lewis, WA as an assistant instructor to Kelly Worden instructing 3 mornings a week at O'Dark:30. I have met and touched hands with many true American Warriors .......I know the difference. They are the real thing!

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you there, Pappy, Tom and Rob.

Warriorship is more than being part of a military organization.

It's more than training in martial arts and attaining technical skill.

It's more than fighting the good fight.

It's a mindset, and a philosophy that many expound, but a humble few actually live.

While the closest thing we have to a warrior class is out military and LEO communities, I wouldn't classify a number of our military members as "warriors": particularly the REMFs (Rear Echelon MF's). I'm sure you guys with military experience know what I'm saying.

Tim Kashino

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im with ya...Same page of the same book Tim. :)

P.S. Did you get that "force wheel" e-mail I sent ya? (finally)

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
The odyssey of a true warrior:

Working with the Special Forces teaching combative arts the past 3 years I have met many fine examples of America's finest warriors. This is a brief story of a team leader Sergeant who became a very close brother to the NSI family and I am honored to call him a friend.

To protect his name and for security reasons I will simple call this man Sergeant X

When we first started this program at the Special Forces compound at Fort Lewis, WA a relationship developed with Sergeant X. He came with a common background in Arnis having trained with several Masters in the Philippines and had over 20 years martial arts training. Sergeant X expanded his martial arts training by spending a lot of time in addition to the SF training with Datu Worden and the club.

He retired from the army with over 20 years of dedication and most of his career was with Special Forces. We as civilians cannot conceive nor are we aware of the constant deployment missions Specials Ops are subject to both standard and covert. Yes, covert missions are alive and well in our Special Ops military. Between the constant training and actual missions think of the years of stress and adrenaline rushes.

The first year after retirement Sergeant X spent working and instructing in airport security. All this did was make is life miserable and Sergeant X ended up quitting and spending a couple of months in the Philippines going through a mid-life crisis. Now stop and think about the circle of acquaintances a Special Ops person has. They have a special bond amongst themselves and gravitate to each other, maybe subconsciously but it happens.

While in the Philippines he gravitated to a group of operatives and was offered a position under a US umbrella in Afghanistan to develop a security force for the protection of the new King. This was right after the Taliban was ousted and the country was in a turmoil and the King had just had an assassination attempt. The objective was to turn, believe this or not, goat herders into a viable security force for the king and to bodyguard the king until his own force was trained. The training schedule was a rugged 16 hours a day mostly seven days a week. The tour had its hazardous encounters with the training camp being mortared and attacked by insurgents. He was paid very well for the commitment especially when compared to military pay that he had been used to.

I invited Sergeant X last fall when he had returned home to be a guest instructor at my school and he showed us a slide show from his lap top with unbelievable pictures from Afghanistan and shared stories of the deployment. His instructor training team were Who's Who of Special Ops, guys from the SF, Seals, CIA and so on. I am sure glad they are on our side!

Now he is imbedded in Iraq leading a Special Ops team so covert we haven't received any usual emails for a couple of months.

Sergeant X to me is the epitome of a contemporary 21st century warrior.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good story about sergaent X. I have 3 friends (one who was supposed to stand up in my wedding this year) who are spec. ops., and who will be in Iraq real soon. I have another 3 friends who are in the regular military as well (2 army, 1 airforce). My future sister and brother in law are also both airforce.

Most of my close friends are probably younger then Sergaent X, but I have met some of their older sergaents through training sessions, and different other opportunities.

My friends, as well as yours over in Washington State have been given the responsability of the warrior class. I respect them for the job they have taken on. I also pray for their safety, and encourage them to walk the walk of the warrior.

I think its great that you and Datu Worden have been able to do your part to help our troops through your guidence and instruction.I know how that is. It's nice to be able to put years of training to good use!

PAUL

:cool:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The first year after retirement Sergeant X spent working and instructing in airport security. All this did was make is life miserable and Sergeant X ended up quitting and spending a couple of months in the Philippines going through a mid-life crisis."

Not that I was an operator at the level of your Sgt X by any means, but I know that I, and probably anyone who leaves the service - and views life with a warrior spirit - goes through a serious adjustment problems when they first get out.

I left Active duty USMC and joined a reserve unit right away. My, then girlfriend, use to say that I would just start to get human over the course of a month and then I would get a dose of JarHead on the drill weekend/two weeks and it would start all over again.

The same process happend after I joined my buddy TGAce's MP unit and got deployed to Bosnia (Thanks again Tom:)). Huge adjustment issues.

There is a distinct difference in mentallity when you have served and then don't anymore.

Paul M.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please don't confuse my posting to mean that I don't think that warriors exist right now. I think that there are warriors among all members/jobs in and out of the service - I would definitely consider SF/Operatives as modern day warriors.

My distinction is the term Warrior Class. Samurai and other warriors came from a social strata in the society, and were groomed from childhood on to take on the role of warrior. It was usually a closed class that did not let in knew members if you weren't born into it.

In our time, anyone can become a soldier/sailor/Marine/Airman... and rise through the ranks. In the US, there are no special status rights and priviledges for the Warrior- Class. Actually the abolishment of the Japanese recognition of the special status of Samurai is the historical root for the movie THE LAST SAMURAI.

The warrior spirit, ingenuity, will and craftiness is alive in well, but there is not a separate, specially treated class in America and most modern countries. There is recognition and benefits, but that comes after you have served already - big difference.

Paul Martin

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow man...your getting pretty technical.

I said "given the responsability of the warrior class" to mean "given the responsability of protecting our country, freedoms, and our way of life."

PAUL

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul J,

Comment wasn't directed at your post, just rereading some of the past stuff and clarifying my point in general

"Marsha, Marsha, Marsha, it's always about Marsha!"

Paul M.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train, spend time, and lots of money, all because I enjoy it.

Simple, Simple, Simple, I enjoy it.

Does it make me a warrior? I will let others decide that.

As for protecting the Villiage, I just wish I could protect it from the Local Idiot. :eek: :rolleyes: I mean, if I could protect the villiage from ... ;) I would

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best any of us can do is to try and live life like a warrior, I could care less what anybody else thinks of or calls me....and that covers a lot more than training in any martial art....

Latest Discussions