KARATE the art of empty self

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I picked up this book from the library... read it... liked it. Thus call it: suggested reading. :D The title: Karate: The Art Of Empty Self Author: Terrence Webster-Doyle Published 1989 by Martial Arts for Peace Association Middlebury, Vermont Distributed by North Atlantic Books Berkeley, California

This reads like a collection of personal insights and thoughts on various aspects of Karate/Martial Arts. At 6th Dan I think he's qualified to write out what his own personal insights and ideas/views of MA.
The author; Dr. Terrence Webster Doyle is Founder and Chief Instructor of Shuhari Aikikarate Do and Director of the Martial Arts for Peace Association (MAPA). He has post graduate degrees in Psychology and Education and is a credentialed secondary and community college instructor. He earned his Black Belt in the Japanese Style of Gensei Ryu Karate from Sensei Numano in 1967. He is also an inductee of both International and World Martial Arts Halls of Fame.
Snippets from the introduction (which I thought was awesome):
Introduction: The Paradox

Whenever you cross swords with an enemy you must not think of cutting him strongly or weakly, just think of cutting and killing him. Be intent solely upon killing the enemy.
~Miyamoto Musashi, a 15th-Century Samurai A Book of Five Rings

To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
Gichin Funakoshi, father of modern Karate Karate-do -- My Way Of Life

There is a fundamental and dangerously different perspective contained in the above quotes; they are two contrasting ways of dealing with conflict; they are also the basis of two radicaly different approaches to the Martial Arts. One approach lays the foundation of violence and increased aggression under the guise of self-improvement, while the other nurtures self-understanding and intelligence.

The Martial Arts have been portrayed as deadly systems of self-defense techniques. We read of Musashi, the "Sword Saint," who at the early age of 13 killed a person, and went on killing over 60 people before his 30th birthday just to prove that he was invincible. We read other bizarre tales of incredible feats of prowess and strength by Martial Arts "Masters," such as the story of a well-known Karate teacher who killed bulls with his bare hands to prove how strong his method was. many people want that power, that energy that seems to emanate from one who knows these fighting arts.

The wordBudo is a key word in the Martial Arts. It means literally, "the way to stop the sword." It also means "the way to stop conflict." The word Karate has come to mean "empty hands," to defend oneself without the use of weapons. It's deeper and more significant meaning from a Taoist and Zen Buddhist perspective means "empty self," with the emphasis on Kara or "empty." Budo and the Art of Karate as a way to empty self are very similar. The similarity lies in the words conflict and self. In Karate, as in most Martial Arts practiced worldwide, the self, the ego, the "me" has been glorified, and becomes powerful, dominating, undefeatable, invincible. Traditional Karate uses fighting skills to develop this invincibility, thus creating a steely veneer, a callous spirit of invulnerability. Lip service is occasionally paid to "spirituality," but actually most practices are really ways to fill one's self up, to inflate and toughen the ego under the guise of self-transcendence. Self-improvement is thus seen as a self-enhancement, that is, self-centeredness, focusing inwardly on an image of self that is the root of conflict.
The introduction goes on to give his views on the intent of Karate (or as I read it: Martial Arts) as being an opportunity to discover who one is, the discovery of the self and subsquently their relation to the "outside world" the world outside oneself in which one lives.
The style is written that one cohesive thought is expressed. Most of them are short-one paragraphs of thoughts and ideas. Thus making it an easy read and non-confusing. In the forward he asks that one meditates or thinks about what one particular page or another has expressed and then come up with your own insights on it.

A good read IMO... check it out.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, He has also made some videos on self-defense for children. Worth taking a look at for kids. ..................Aloha

M

MisterMike

It's a very good book. A good look at karate through Zen.

Latest Discussions