Review of Street Sword by Phil Elmore

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also thank Josh for bringing up the topic. Though he doesn't like me and has ulterior motives for cross-pasting his review all over the Web, he is doing me a service by bringing the book to your attention (in a way that I cannot myself without appearing to be advertising the book).
You mean aside from this thread that you posted here a little over a week ago? :rolleyes:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't believe that the Street Sword book isn't intended as a joke. It's the only way it makes sense. Mr. Elmore seems to have accepted the role of self-parodist.

Paladin is a mixed bag. There's some good stuff there; there's some bad stuff that's still the only stuff on that subject and hence has some value; and there's a lot of garbage and, frankly, fraud (e.g. the collected works of Dr. Haha Lung).

I second the recommendation of Darrell Craig's books.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Elmore's views, in his book and in his response to the review, suggest that he doesn't seem to be quite rooted in reality...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the review posted here, Phil's reply and some of the stuff on his site about the stupidity and venality of his critics I'm going to pat myself on the back. So far my analysis on the thread the Kreth referenced seems to be in the ten ring. Which is better than my pistol shooting.

OP
A

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Elmore's views, in his book and in his response to the review, suggest that he doesn't seem to be quite rooted in reality...

I wonder if he carries dice in his pocket in case of a goblin attack. :)

Ahem, Phil seems to have a real issue with anyone that disagrees with him publicly. That would be how I ended up getting kicked off of his little website that seems more like a support group for him.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A more objective review by Gareth Damian Thomas:

Actually, until the last little paragraph containing the 'beefs' it looks more like an abstract or synopsis than a review.

Good luck with that.

-------------------------------------
"I give Street Sword two thumbs up. It is the must read martial arts book of the year!" -David Manning

Kenzan

White Belt
Reaction score
I remember reading on Phil's forum somewhere when questioned by a JSA practitioner about authority, Phil claimed he spoke with authority on the laws of physics.
So I guess Phil's a physicist now as well?

:flame:

OP
A

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey! Where did the "objective" book report, errr, review go?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Attention All Users:

Post was tossed as it violated MT policy.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Moderator

crebralfix

White Belt
Reaction score
Since you didn't like this book, which book of similar topic would you recommend?

OP
A

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Since you didn't like this book, which book of similar topic would you recommend?

I can't think of any other books that cover similar topics (use of a sword on today's streets). The closest thing, would be comic books to cover sword and pistol. :shooter:

Like someone else said, you can't learn something like this from a book. For reference, there are a number of good books that cover sword use. But they should be used in conjunction with an actual instructor.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While the premise of this book is humourous, my personal opinion on martial arts is this:

Martial Art can be broken up into two terms. Martial; of or pertaining to [military] combat and Art (In this context); perfection of the technique thereof.

So what in the bloody Hell does that mean? It means that we should strive to perfect the techniques (Art) of combat (Martial), making them as efficient as possible (I.E. Not flashy, but effective). How do we do this? By engaging in combat on a daily basis and surviving to teach our disciples how we managed that feat.

By my definition, can you see why Martial Arts are stagnating out of existance? (By the way, I see my definition as the only definition: ;) )

I have no problem with abstract combat theories, as long as they are tried and tested in battle. So, if Phil Elmore were a veteran of "street sword" combat and was writing this book to aid future generations of "street sword" combatants, then I would praise him. But this does not seem to be the case. I have a lot of theories of my own, but until they are battle-proven I cannot sell them when there is a chance that would-be young "street sword" combatants (And Anime fans) could perish because of my "bad advice".

The practicality of being able to defend yourself with a sword (Or any other weapon)? Priceless... as long as you carry that weapon with you - always. Despite it being illegal to carry most weapons, that does not seem to deter criminals. Since no one can see a concealed weapon until you "draw" it, it ends up being a matter of morality and control. With the population growth, land reduction (Attributed to a rising sea level), urbanisation, and funding for law enforcement decreasing, whilst corruption therein increasing, the crime rate is bound to go up.

Where I live, in China, firearm trade is virtually non-existant, the result being that Mafia and other criminals carry all variaties of knives (Including half a metre long elongated butcher knives that are, for all intensive purposes, swords). I, myself, carry a 62cm (fully extended) telescoping steel baton (From a "market" for only 60元). In China, this is a legal weapon to carry (Though I would anyways if it weren't). One must make a habit of carrying. The mobile phone and wallet go in my left pocket and the baton and keys go in the right. Why this choice? To explain that I would have to relate to you my combat theory (Which I am not selling).

Telescopic steel baton + Badaoshu (Battoujutsu) = effective?

While the answer to that "question" remains unanswered, I will continue to carry it and perhaps one day I will find out. In the meantime: TRY IT AND SEE FER YERSELVES!!! I can recall several occasions where my wife and I were walking through parks (in the evening) and I let my hand slide into my pocket (the "ready stance") whilst a group of non-innocent-looking men passed us in narrow alleyways/bridges. Though having martial ability is a plus, you can never under-value martial spirit (Or common sense, but I like to have my evening walks, damnit). I have only had to use what I was taught one time when some Arabians tried to steal my camera in the early evening, but there were countless times during my travels when something almost happened. A cool head and a good "poker face" will fend off most would-be attackers.

In closing... Don't get to caught up in Martial politics and get back to the training hall. Instead of learning from the world wide web and books, why not try the whole wide world? It's far more interesting and after game over there are no re-tries. Enjoy.

Latest Discussions