Multiple attackers in a parking lot...

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of all the arts I've studied over the years, kenpo is the only one that actually has a curriculum for dealing with multiple attackers.

Some things I've learned from that are:
(1) Strike the closest attacker first and make it count. For instance a hard sword hand to the throat or a devastating kick to the knee...something that is likely to take them out of the mix quickly.

(2) Use your envirnonmnet. Position yourself so that there are obstacles between you and at least some of the attackers. Could be something material, or could actually be one of the attackers. Could be something as simple as putting your back to the sun.

(3) Make note of your environment. Look for things you can easily get to and use as a weapon; pipe, brick, rock, broom, bottle, fork, a handful of dirt...whatever...use your imagination.

(4) Move. Don't remain static; be mobile. Use your footwork

(5) Remain calm and focused.

(6) Take the first opportunity to escape to safety.

This about says it all for me also. Evade, strike and escape, it's a simple strategy, but effective. You can always CCP and carry.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
If fleeing isn't an option, then you had BETTER be EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE! Whether your intent is to kill every one of your attackers, their families, their neighbors and burn their houses down, they probably should BELIEVE that's your intent! (A little nod to 'Unforgiven' there. ;)) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqdEhytKOk&feature=related

I once saw one lone biker cower an entire crowd with violence and belligerent bravado. He sold the idea to them that he was not only crazy, but probably homicidal, and would certainly slaughter any man present that raised a hand against him, be it today, or sometime in the near future.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was 5 a.m. so I doubt if there many onlookers, if any. Which makes the story sound kind of fishy actually. Why weren't these 3 geniuses still in bed at that time of the morning? They just happened to be up, hanging out together at 5 a.m. and noticed somebody throw something in the yard? Makes me wonder if they weren't laying for the guy.

They probably didn't realize that the paper delivery guy carries no CASH!

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
They probably didn't realize that the paper delivery guy carries no CASH!

Maybe.... I really think a lot of this is violence for violence sake. People are hurting, lonely, angry and messed up on drugs and alcohol and they just want to break or hurt something. If your standing there, your it.

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe.... I really think a lot of this is violence for violence sake. People are hurting, lonely, angry and messed up on drugs and alcohol and they just want to break or hurt something. If your standing there, your it.

That's part of it. A lot of it is just poor or no home training. My Dad always taught me to respect my elders and he warned me that if I ever raised a hand against a grown man I should prepare to receive a major league butt whuppin'. I was pretty rowdy as a teenager but me and my friends never would have considered ganging up on a grown man for any reason. The thought just never occurred to us. In fact, we'd fight each other at the drop of a hat but we thought it was cowardly and dishonorable to gang up on anybody.

A lot of this stuff is just people giving in to the animal instinct. Dogs are that way. You can have a dog that's just as gentle and obedient as the day is long but let him get loose and hook up with a couple of other dogs and next thing you know they're looking for something to kill.

Of course, we're not dogs. Are we?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actually, if I'M standing there, THEY are it.:btg:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I take no great pleasure in hurting people.......but if they buy it, I have no particular remorse over it either.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear ya SGT. I try to stay neutral...derriving no remorse or pleasure, just moving through the target(s) and moving on with my life.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear ya SGT. I try to stay neutral...derriving no remorse or pleasure, just moving through the target(s) and moving on with my life.

That's pretty much it.

When I have had to react violently, I feel badly afterward that it had to happen, that the world is such that a person may have to harm or take the like of another in defense of the innocent. But I don't feel any personal remorse for having chosen to defend myself or someone else.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The one rule that works? ...run away at first chance...MOST of us will not last in fight..because of the adrenline and will tire out...

Gangs have more time to look for weapons around them....UNLESS you are in condition like Bruce lee ...and can move faster than the rest of them? .....RUN AWAY!!! alway be looking for escaping...

Techniques works....but getting hitting on the blind side or back side? ...how do you prevent this? ....with a couple of guys facing you?

Sure some people do survive and win in some gang attacks...MORE people die from them....or get real seriouly injuries...

Multiple attachers...always have the advantages....BE SMART....RUN!

Aloha,

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Good ol' Nike-jutsu. Always a good idea. Unless, of course, the other guys can run faster than you. Then you're screwed for sure.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to add a another rule here...most likely the most important one for everyone?

Running faster is always good....

IT is "CONDITION" ...the main key to survival

Aloha,

PS: What condition are you in?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Good ol' Nike-jutsu. Always a good idea. Unless, of course, the other guys can run faster than you. Then you're screwed for sure.

I can't run fast.....never could. Even in peek condition I can run far.....but not FAST......so if push comes to shove I HAVE to fight!

But I carry a gun with plenty of ammunition, so it evens out.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One way to find out...how you can last in a Multiple attacks...is HAVE several students attack you? ...and there choice when to attack...there choice of surrounding you...

In the real world....we would surround you...and use weapons we can find/ if we do not have them on us ..too (students options here).

You will find the answers you are looking for....

Remember you are in a friendly enviroment, most liking NO adrenline, NO pumping of the blood...lighted area,in safe place, and rules (not to hit for reals)....Plus you will have time limits and can rest with NO worries..

Ready?

Aloha, ...many believe..they can...only fools...go to heaven..or the hospital...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One way to find out...how you can last in a Multiple attacks...is HAVE several students attack you? ...and there choice when to attack...there choice of surrounding you...

In the real world....we would surround you...and use weapons we can find/ if we do not have them on us ..too (students options here).

Remember you are in a friendly enviroment, most liking NO adrenline, NO pumping of the blood...lighted area,in safe place, and rules (not to hit for reals)....Plus you will have time limits and can rest with NO worries..

Ready?

Aloha, ...many believe..they can...only fools...go to heaven..or the hospital...

Can't run one mile? ...someone is going to catch you?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, OH one more thing...sometimes you can win..and survive....this is good.

Aloha,

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ready?

It always deteriorates in to me grabbing one of the attackers and using him as a human shield for some reason.

Mike Hamer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well I have not really been in any real life group attacks so I dont have much to contribute, but I would like to thank everyone for their advice!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I have not really been in any real life group attacks so I dont have much to contribute, but I would like to thank everyone for their advice!

I've never been in a group (i.e. more than two) attack.......but I did get in a fight with two punks at once many years ago in a trailer park in Houston, Texas of all places (it's a LONG story!).

Fortunately for me (as I pointed out I take hostages) I was able to knock the tougher of the two down, and when he got up had him in a rear naked choke. In the tussle I caught some punches in the back of the head from the other guy (he seemed to have far less experience in fighting than his buddy) that were pretty ineffective (if he'd had a weapon, though, i'd have been screwed).

I'm pretty sure I broke one of the guys jaw, and if the other guys nose wasn't broke, it was pretty swollen and bloody.......I got the hell out of there as some of their friends were showing up.

I got out of the fight with nothing but a couple of very superficial bumps on the back of my melon........Bottom line.......I got DAMN lucky!

I don't recommend it! It actually turns in to more of an upright tumbling jumble of limbs than the 'One at a time' group fights seen on TV (or at least it does in a little dinky trailer bedroom the size of a broom closet!)

If one does find themselves in the situation like that, and they can't escape........I recommend doing what I did....feign momentary submission and THEN.....hit the Leader/Mouth of the group FIRST as HARD AS YOU CAN, for MAXIMUM DAMAGE, and fight like hell!

Latest Discussions