Morning Routines

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a morning routine that you find helps you not only with your TKD but health (mental and physical) in general? I am looking for something that I can implement into my mornings after I wake up that will benefit me.

Anyone?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does groaning and grumbling count :lol:. Sorry, I'll be more serious later; work connection about to drop ...

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm all about the morning routine. :) This works for me, YMMV.

I get up at 6:00 AM, wake up #1 son as he has to be showered, fed and out the door to the bus stop by 6:40. I get dressed for the gym and wake up my wife and daughter at 6:30 as I head out the door.

I go to my local YMCA and do Crossfit's workout of the day (www.crossfit.com). Before crossfit, I'd alternate days with weight training and working forsm/kicks or whatever for about 20 minutes.

I'm usually done working out in about 30 minutes. I grab a shwoer in the locker room, then I head off to work. On the ay in to work I stop and grab breakfast at the local Wawa (usually some fruit, yogurt and maybe a breakfast sandwich). Then I go in to work and start my work day.

The hard excercise gets me energized and focused and I've been more productive the past few years since I started working out in the mornings.

Peace,
Erik

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does groaning and grumbling count :lol:. Sorry, I'll be more serious later; work connection about to drop ...

LMAO!! Unfortunately not. I have noticed that since I turned 30 I have become a pro at groaning. For some reason, I can't stand up from a sitting position or laying down without a "UUUMPPH" sneaking its way out. :) I am afraid when I turn older the pressure caused by bending over will cause "other" things to sneak their way out.

But, nope they don't count. If they did, I would be a PRO!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bluekey makes a very good point about how excercise early on can make you more 'effective' all day.

In the distant past, my morning routine was to get up at about 6:30 and go for a two mile run before breakfast. Then I'd cycle the twelve miles or so to university.

Gradually the excercising dropped off as I stopped doing such things as potholing and climbing. Then it stopped totally when an Audi tried to remove me from this earth.

I never got back into a morning routine again that didn't involve cigarettes and lots of coffee :(. But I did used to walk the two miles to work and back each day. Now, being settled down with the missus, we drive.

So the only lengthy period of excercise I get each week is my three hours of iai :O.

Writing ths out has made me realise I really need to do something about this state of affairs before it gets too late - I've stopped smoking but that handicap has been replaced by a home-cooking-and-contentment belly.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it took me a few years to get to this particular state of affairs. Lots of false starts as I'd try some scheme to work excercsie into a jam packed day. Never stuck with it.

HOWEVER, when I blew my knee out and the doctor said it was part in parcel to out of shape loweer body trying to enagge in TKD kicking...that got me thinking. Then, as i worked hard at rehab, I could ONLY fit it in in the morning...when they cut me loose I started going to the gym. I played arund with ltos of different things...but mostly just stuck with it. All I can say is that is has made a HUGE difference in how I feel most days and how I perform in the dojang as well.

Also, the intesnity and nature of my workouts lets me eat mroe...wich is a good thing :)

Peace,
Erik

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Early morning training is good. For several years I used to go to a TKD class at 7am, which set you up for the day either with boundless energy or an interesting injury (it was rather hardcore).

I now find half an hour of Yoga to be an excellent start to the day. OK, you have to get up earlier, but it wakes the body up nicely, makes you (me, I mean) less likely to take aggressive exception to thoughtless behaviour for the rest of the day, and gets you doing that marvellous thing called cold stretching.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Morning is very early for me.

0415 Alarm. Black Coffee, restoke the fire in the woodstove, check E-mail, internet news, etc..., get kids cereal bowls ready, do dishes, start a load of laundry.

0530 YMCA. Lift weights 45 minutes and then swim @1500 yds.

0800 Work.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not much, but I do have a short routine that I find helps my lower back from tightening up:

20 arm swings, side to side
10 forward arm swings, 10 backward arm swings
20 calf raises (on a step, so my heels can drop lower than ball of foot)
20 squats
20 pushups

a short stretching routine that I do in the shower (won't get into specifics ... don't want any imaginations to run wild :))

end shower with 120 count under water as cold as I can get it to come out of the showerhead.

I used to do 40 pushups on days without a workout. I probably need to get back to that; can't recall why I stopped...

and 100 crunches. Stopped that because of time issues in the morning. Spose I should get up 5 mins earlier and add that back in, too....

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
squats
lunges
knee-ups
front & side stretch kicks
ab curls
push-ups

then at 6:15 I wake up my daughter to get her to school

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Make it something hard, that way I can go back to bed and have a great excuse.

Latest Discussions