Newbie Thread: Fitness and TKD

SamanthaC

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am looking for fitness advice for how to train outside of the Dojang to get my body in physical shape for TKD, what is important and what sort of routines should I focus on.

Many thanks

Sam

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Sam, welcome to MT! Especially to another Brit! I'm not much good at the fitness bit ( thats why I clicked on to this thread, need advice too lol) but you've certainly come to the right place! Theres planty of people here who'll give you good advice.
If you have time ( snowed in lol?) pop across to the introductions thread and say hi. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Join a gym, not a spa as they have contacts and are usually costly..High reps and low weight will build up lean muscle mass, unless you want to bulk up..Don't forget to do at least 30 mins of cardio at each session and ALWAYS STRETCH between sets..That my 2 cents or whatever the UK equivalent is..

Last edited:

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am looking for fitness advice for how to train outside of the Dojang to get my body in physical shape for TKD, what is important and what sort of routines should I focus on.

Many thanks

Sam
Hi Sam! There will be many opinions and training routines offered with this question, but a lot depends on what you're capable of, what are you trying to achieve and how motivated you are.
To answer your question simply, it would be to focus on aerobic and anearobic exercises, strength training, flexibility and nutrition. If you can find a good routine that focuses on those factors then you are headed in the right direction. If you are new at strength training, I would recommend you see a personal trainer, but if you are at all familiar with weight lifting then there are a ton of good websites to find a good program that works for you.

For cardio, I work out on a spinner bike and I have 3 different routines I do. Two of them are interval sprints, which isanearobic because most of TKD is anearobic exercise, it's explosiveness when you need it. And I also work on the spinner bike doing a cardio cycle. And when it gets a little warmer outside I will also go for a jog.

Flexibility is also very important. I train six days a week so I stay loose, but I always get a good stretch in, especially before training for my TKD classes. If you do
not know any good flexibility exercises, I would again recommend a personal trainer or you can do your own research, just try to avoid straining yourself.

The same goes for weigth lifting, proper stretching and form are really important.

But the key to a successful training regiment is your diet. You have to eat healthy and you have to fill your body with the required nutrients, it's just as important
(if not more so) than the training itself, but it's also the hardest part to do. Again a personal trainer would help you out with this, or again there is a ton of info on the net.
I could get into some specifics for you, but I will need some more specific questions, but I will be here if you need any advice

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Samantha and for me it is two fold Cardio and plenty of it and flexibilty. If you do plenty of this outside the training will be so much easier on the inside of your school.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, high intensity interval cardio training (since cardio is my weakness), strength training, and nutrition. Jumping rope is a great cardio exercise for tkd. try to build up "rounds" start with three 1 minute roundw (30 seconds of rest) build up to 5 rounds. Then start gradually increasing the length of the rounds until you can do five 3 minute rounds.

Weighty training shoyuld focus on compound body movements. Mix up your routine so you are doing low rep high weight, middle rep middle wieght and high rep low weight excercises. Lots of good rouitnes out there...try several different ones.

Peace,
Erik

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
For interval cardio training I would recommend doing shorter sprints with longer rests to begin with. For example 15 sec sprints and 30 sec rest, instead of 30 sec sprints and 15 sec rests

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you can't work out in a gym then lots of walking (at a good fast pace) or swimming are good ways to get you working your heart.

If you're training in TKD then I'd recommend trying to do a little bit of stretching every day as well. Make sure your muscles are warmed up before hand and don't "bounce" when stretching.

If you're unsure of the things you need to specifically work on, then perhaps you could ask your instructor. He/She should be able to help you with stretching and the type of training you need to best supplement your training in the dojang.

phobia08

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi and welcome

Im am also new to TKD and this forum

I agree with whats been said so far and if i had the funds to join a gym i would but as i dont here is what i have been doing weather permitting

Fast walking about 30 mins with my 2 dogs

Stretching (replicated from what we do for our warm up in TKD class) 15 mins

cycling around 30 mins constant pace if pos with sprint bursts for around 10 seconds every 3 mins or so

no weights as yet as its only my 3rd week of TKD and i have a tummy to get rid of before trying to tone up to much

This is just what i do as im not in a position to pay for trainers or a gym membership so its not going to be the best workout but it feels good.

I do it every other day but pull in some extra if i miss a day for any reason (snow)

Again Welcome and hi again to all on Martial Talk

Ian

phobia08

White Belt
Reaction score
Oh and we also have a Wii Fit that i use to do step aerobics on when its raining (I know it sounds a little sad but it does work) its good fun at the same time so me and the kids get at least some type of fitness

Anyways like mentioned in 1 of the other posts your instructor could advise well in this subject

Good luck and have fun

Ian

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi All!

Many thanks

Sam
Welcome aboard, Sam!!

Being over forty, I do a lot of stretching and kicking outside of class. I practice my forms and I do basic exercise (pushups, crunches, and squats with no weights). I don't have weights nor do I have room for them. I jump rope and during the warmer weather, I cycle alot.

One of the things that I do is a lot of focus work on specific things that I am not strong in, particularly left leg kicks. That way, I get excercise and work on weak points in the process.

Best wishes!!

Daniel

Latest Discussions