How do we know?

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out which organization my dojang is a part of. I know that many say it isn't important, but I would still like to know.

Their website and literature says that it is Alliance, U.S.N.T.F., and Kukkiwon certified.

I would just like to get some information from everyone here.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
If they're Kuklkiown certified, they are at least at some level assocaited with the WTF. What forms set(s) do you practice?

Peace,
Erik

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
www.blacksmartialarts.com

we practice :
Taegeuk 1 (Il Chang) -- (Heaven)
Taegeuk 2 (Yi Chang) -- (Joy)
Taegeuk 3 (Sam Chang) -- (Fire)
Taegeuk 4 (Sa Chang) -- (Thunder)
Taegeuk 5 (Oh Chang) -- (Wind)
Taegeuk 6 (Yook Chang) -- (Water)
Taegeuk 7 (Chil Chang) -- (Mountain)
Taegeuk 8 (Pal Chang) -- (Earth)

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out which organization my dojang is a part of. I know that many say it isn't important, but I would still like to know.

Their website and literature says that it is Alliance, U.S.N.T.F., and Kukkiwon certified.

The USNTF is an organization headed by GM Kwon, Duk-gun who was at one time an Illinois State Rep. for the USTU. He started this organization a while back. It is an organization which works along with the Kukkiwon so that is where you are being certified through for your dan certification.

So there you have it.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The only thing that looks hinckey is the 9th Dan.

Whose 9th dan are you questioning? The school instructor's or GM Kwon. Kwon is definetly a 9th dan via KKW certification. He has been in the game for a while. :) As for the school instructor, don't know him so can't verify either way.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
more than liekly a Kukkiwon. at least all the clubs in singapore that is affiliated to the WTF do the taegeuks during the colourd belt ranks. Do you guys do WTF sparring? the one heavy with paddings. If it is then more than more than likely it's a Kukkiwon/WTF.

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't started sparring yet, but I did watch the kids spar the other night and they were wearing head gear, chest gear, shin pads, forearm pads. I apologize for not knowing the correct terminology for everything. They just call the two types of sparring they do, Point sparring and olympic sparring.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You're a Kukkiwon school and probably also World Taekwondo Federation. Kukkiwon is the organization that certifies yudanja, establishes curriculum, and is the body through whom USAT gets their belts for USAT members who apply for dan promotion through them.

The World Taekwondo Federation is an athletic regulatory body that regulates the sport of Taekwondo, which in most ways, is distinct from the art, thus the two separate bodies with overlapping responsibility.

www.blacksmartialarts.com

we practice :
Taegeuk 1 (Il Chang) -- (Heaven)
Taegeuk 2 (Yi Chang) -- (Joy)
Taegeuk 3 (Sam Chang) -- (Fire)
Taegeuk 4 (Sa Chang) -- (Thunder)
Taegeuk 5 (Oh Chang) -- (Wind)
Taegeuk 6 (Yook Chang) -- (Water)
Taegeuk 7 (Chil Chang) -- (Mountain)
Taegeuk 8 (Pal Chang) -- (Earth)
Definitely Kukkiwon forms. I know them all.:D

I haven't started sparring yet, but I did watch the kids spar the other night and they were wearing head gear, chest gear, shin pads, forearm pads. I apologize for not knowing the correct terminology for everything. They just call the two types of sparring they do, Point sparring and olympic sparring.
Olympic sparring is World Taekwondo Federation, which the Kukkiwon is joined at the hip to.

So, just to echo everyone else here, you're school is a Kukkiwon/WTF school.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a WTF school and GM Black is a pretty well known instructor, I just do not remember him being a 9th. I was under the impression he was a 6th Kukkiwon.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

The next step I would suggest is to research what Kwan you dojang can be traced to.

Not necessarily important, but it can be interesting.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
any1 can trace mine?

Acme Taekwondo headed by Tan Cheng Hui, 6th Dan, under Singapore Taekwondo Federation, president Milan Kwee, i duno the rank, and grandmaster Lim Teong Chin, 8th dan. I suck at tracing lineages. Forgot the previous president of the STF.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
The next step I would suggest is to research what Kwan you dojang can be traced to.

Not necessarily important, but it can be interesting.

If GM Black is a student of GM Kwon, then they are Chang Moo Kwan. I say "if" because the website mentions USNTF but there was no link page to see if it is the organization headed by GM Kwon, Duk Gun.

Latest Discussions