modifying a cirriculum

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First of all, I've been gone for like a year. Been really busy with training, getting my degree, and working but I've got some free time where I'm stuck in a library so I thought I'd make a spectacular comeback. I've missed talking with folks like Jenna, MJS, Tez3, and Chris Parker. I hope these guys are still at least somewhat active.

Anyway, here is something i've been thinking about. I really, really believe in keeping the integrity in martial arts and in our art of aiki ninjutsu when have very specific guidelines for moving up in rank and learning the next set of skills, but what if a person is actually incapable of performing certain tasks due to a disability of some kind?

I whole heartedly agree that MA training cn benefit nearly anyone including those physically challenged or developmentally delayed. The problem arises with what happens as they progress and their lmitations prevent them from progressing. An example of this might be teaching an older man who is enthusiastic but physically unable to move properly due to say arthritis or degenerative bone disease.

I will be meeting with my instructor to ask him how things wish to be done in our organization, but I also want the opinions of the rest of you.

Should a MA cirriculum be drastically altered to match the needs of the student, or if the student is unable to perform the necessary requirements (through no fault of his own) is it simply something he must accept?

I'm stugglingwith the idea of quality control without excluding those who could benefit from training.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done exactly that for disabled students with whom I have worked in the past. I think it's our responsibility to give every student the best of what they can get, and if that means making alterations for somebody with a legitimate issue - not some cop out - then I say go for it.

I've never regretted doing it with my students. I doubt you'll regret doing it with yours.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Is the next set of skills based on learning the earlier skills? Can the student do the next set of skills if they haven't mastered the previous? So what would happen if you didn't award the rank? Would they quit? If the rank gradations are fairly arbitrary, meaning they aren't based on a skill foundation requirement, then yes go around them.

The flipside that as you get up into instructor ranks sometimes "desire is not enough" as one of my instructors has said.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, I've been gone for like a year. Been really busy with training, getting my degree, and working but I've got some free time where I'm stuck in a library so I thought I'd make a spectacular comeback. I've missed talking with folks like Jenna, MJS, Tez3, and Chris Parker. I hope these guys are still at least somewhat active.

Welcome back. Yes, I'm still here. :) Tez3 and Chris are here as well. I haven't seen Jenna in a while though.

Anyway, here is something i've been thinking about. I really, really believe in keeping the integrity in martial arts and in our art of aiki ninjutsu when have very specific guidelines for moving up in rank and learning the next set of skills, but what if a person is actually incapable of performing certain tasks due to a disability of some kind?

I whole heartedly agree that MA training cn benefit nearly anyone including those physically challenged or developmentally delayed. The problem arises with what happens as they progress and their lmitations prevent them from progressing. An example of this might be teaching an older man who is enthusiastic but physically unable to move properly due to say arthritis or degenerative bone disease.

I will be meeting with my instructor to ask him how things wish to be done in our organization, but I also want the opinions of the rest of you.

Should a MA cirriculum be drastically altered to match the needs of the student, or if the student is unable to perform the necessary requirements (through no fault of his own) is it simply something he must accept?

I'm stugglingwith the idea of quality control without excluding those who could benefit from training.

IMHO, I dont see any issues with making adjustments for people who are not capable, for whatever the reason may be, with keeping up with other students. Theres a difference between totally changing a technique and making an adjustment. I think that totally changing the tech., may remove certain things that that specific tech is teaching. Of course, if a tech requires someone to kick their attacker in the chest but the student isnt capable of lifting their leg that high, I see no reason why the groin or shin couldn't be used instead. The same if the student is 5'2 and the attacker is 6'5. Physically impossible for the student to reach the head with ease, so the options are...a) bring the attacker to your level, ie: kick them so their head comes down or b) change the target from the head to say the chest.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
It can be done if the underlying concepts can be retained.
Someone with only one arm could learn ninjutsu because the underlying principles do not have to be altered. Only the technical implementation needs to be changed. On a similar note, I've known a kendoka who could use only 1 arm.

But then you are working to circumvent specific disabilities for a specific student. The rest of the group still has the same old requirements.

OP
Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I discussed this with my instructor last night and he says that as long as a person can articulate how to do a particular technique but can't physically do it, then he or she may pass but only if there is a legitimate medical reason for why a person physically can't do something.

to Blindside: Yes our ranks are awarded based on the ability to perform certain skills under stressful conditions as well as the standard memorization of some kata and aplication of concepts and principles. Each level does build off the last so it would be very difficult to skip the main focus of what each belt is supposed to specifically work on.

Luckily, nearly all our secrets and principles have multiple applications and we have had no significant problems with someone being able to demonstrate these skills. It takes more time with some people than it does with others, but when a person can't do something one way we do have them change it as long as the concept remains the same.

Thanks for all the replies!

Latest Discussions