Learning New Techniques

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's new that keeps you wanting to go back and learn more about the MAs? As we all advance in our MA training, we all go through different stages of our learning and training experiences in the martial arts, from the simple basics to the more and more advanced techniques.

Where are you now? I've learned pretty much most of the physical techniques required in my art's training. Now we're into weapons training, staff and the like. Now my training has moved on to using nunchucks, which has made my training something that again I really look forward to. It brings some spark to my usual mundane training experience.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As part of our BB grading we need to show the ability to teach.
Showing lower ranks new moves and picking up mistakes have made me understand my MA so much better that every time I get the opportunity to get in front of the class I get a buzz.
At the moment that is what is driving me.

TLHisComing

White Belt
Reaction score
taking in a few classes from another style talking one on one with the instructors and comparing techniques and seeing things from a different perspective. Teaching, everytime i teach i end up learning something new even if its something as simple as altering a movement to fit a student better.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Today I like to focus more on two things...Verbal techniques..learning to descalated situtions,defusing and ending confrontations verbally. To be more relax and positive in this area. (My part-time job as a Security Officer requires a ton of this, to people who do not want to follow the rules of parking areas, the business restricted areas and rules of use of property. There are lots of people who have no respect for rules and use of someone else property. Many of them want to argue and even get into a physcial confrontations. (never argue back) and sometimes try to be agreeable.) Every sitution will be different.

The second thing I am trying to learn is ending a fight quickly, strikes,throws and locks, that will require very little time and be very effective!

We have many techniques in our Kempo system and many of them are useful. BUT: Many times it should be easy and quick..one, two, and be ended!!!!!

We always try to add something new in class or when we can!!!..to keep it interesting.........Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
What's new that keeps you wanting to go back and learn more about the MAs? As we all advance in our MA training, we all go through different stages of our learning and training experiences in the martial arts, from the simple basics to the more and more advanced techniques.

Where are you now? I've learned pretty much most of the physical techniques required in my art's training. Now we're into weapons training, staff and the like. Now my training has moved on to using nunchucks, which has made my training something that again I really look forward to. It brings some spark to my usual mundane training experience.

There certainly is nothing wrong with learning something new. If I can 'borrow' an idea or concept from another art and apply it to something Im already doing, I'm all for it. I do feel though, that it is important to not always get so caught up in the 'I want to learn as much as possible' mentality, and take some time to go back and re-examine the things that we already know. If we don't have a good understanding of what we already know, how can we expect to learn more and understand that?

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You may find reading about other martial arts with some useful information as well as training videos. If you can gain at least one useful information (even just one), you will have learn something new.

Today I own over 100 martial books and over 100 martial art videos. Every one has offer at least one very good useful information and techniques. (not cover in our Kempo class).

Books recommended to read: The Gift of Fear, Verbal Judo, any of Marc the Animal"MacYoung, Attack Proof, as well as Black Belt magazine. I am sure others will share some of their flavorite books and videos.

I like speed man videos too! How to hit someone 18 times in one second! He offer great advice.........Aloha

Latest Discussions