What type of Martial Artist are you?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it correct to really generalise people but I've noticed that there seem to be some specific aims that people aim for when they do martial arts and what they progress into. So correct me if I'm wrong :) , but I've come up with these so far. I also appreciate that some of these will overlap so feel free to comment on anything and add your own ideas

Reality based self defence MA: Those who train for that moment/s in time where their livelihoods depends on the skills that they train in. I'm one of these. Training is generally based on ingraining skills specifically into muscle memory and mental and physical prepareness such as adrenline rush and noticing opponent bodily hints to their actions.

Traditional/art MA: Those who train in an art to learn its system and particular style to its fulness. Those who can literally and do literally emmerse themselves in their particular art/s and see the real beauty it has to offer to the body and soul!

Sport MA: Those who train for specific competitions, generally Tae Kwon Do Kickboxing, Judo, type of arts, I may be wrong. This type of training requires in-depth training and high degree of physical fitness to compete and be successful.

Fitness MA: The great thing about this, is that most arts (bar a few) require some level of fitness generally of that above the usual indiviual standard to develop yourself. Martial Arts are when you are using your body as your weapon and your tool. Your not training a specific part you are generally (generally that is) training your entire body and therefore becoming a fitter person mentally and physically.

Ok there we go, as I said before you guys fill any gaps in :)

Regards
Nick

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for me it is Traditional, that is what is lacking in the Art nowaday, for my son's it is the sport of TKD not really old enough to fully understand Tradition, not that we don't teach just they really do not grasp the tradition yet. For the most part of the students it the thought of fighting.

R

relytjj

I'd have to say reality/sport MA. I picked up MA after I graduated college because I missed the competition sports offered. I initially thought it would be tons of fun to compete in fighting competitions. However, I really don't think that highly of sport taekwondo (wtf) after I've had a small taste of it. I find it fun but enjoy hapkido, which is far more reality based, much more than taekwondo.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hmm im kinda between fitness and sport, im not so into it that it is totaly indepth but i get a fair work out, more so then for just above avrage fitness but not so much that i would be in anything but small tourniments

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fun!

Not included in the choices but this is really why I do my martial arts, relaxation stress relief and most importantly Fun. I do American Kenpo which doesn't quite fall in the realm of Traditional. But I enjoy its new traditions and history. It is self defence based but not in the sense that most current so called reality based programs think of themselves. I occasionally participate in sport based competition but don't really train for them. Fitness is an added benefit but not the reason I train. I also train at least parttime with my kids so it has become a family activity. Kenpo and Systema have at some level become part of our family identity.

Jeff

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't pick. I do traditional form which I do perform in tournaments. Also compete breaking and sparring in tournaments. I lead a kickboxing class mostly for additional cardio exercise. Probably least is self defense but time is used to work on that as well. TW

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to have to rank these as well.

1. Fitness MA - This is the primary reason for my involvement, although I have to point out that mental fitness is just as important to me as the physical aspect.

2. Reality based self defence MA - This is a fact of my training, and one that sits well with me.

3. Traditional/art MA - As I learn more about the rich history of my art, I expect this to rise in priority.

4. Sport MA - I'm a very competitive person, especially with myself. I don't know if I'll ever enter any formal competitions, but the possibility is one I don't want to deny.

R

rainbows

I'm mostly traditional/sport. I love doing patterns, but I also love sparring competition.

W

WhiteRose

I'm a Traditional-Art/Reality type. I would like to learn a martial art to use it as an expressive medium and paint what it wants me to. ^^ That's fun to me, so long as I enjoy it. But if necessary, I would also use it to protect myself.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Discipline. Not in general but sort of a source of a new form of it. Also, learning. The need/desire to learn and experience new things. I guess that could still fall under fitness...as in mental fitness. Just a thought.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd classify myself as a mix between Traditional/art and Fitness, since my reason for practicing it deals with perfecting myself through total understanding of a TMA.

G

Gary Crawford

I've done both,these days it's reality based.TW,I think what you're doing is great!Is that with the same dojang?

T

Trainwreck

Can't say I fall easily into any of the categories. I want to be able to defend myself when necessary, hence why I now train comparatively harder than my peers, but more important still is using the art to understand my body. I'm a physicist by training, so I see martial arts as a combination of biological systems and applied physics.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm more reality based MA-ist. But I also try to learn as much of the philosophy behind it all as I can. Concepts and whys of this particular technique, form, kata, etc. When to fight, how much force to use.
Then applying MA to as many aspects of my life as possible.

Latest Discussions