Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/ci_11736053?source=most_viewed

Minnesota ultimate fighter sought after three men hurt in River Falls bar brawl

Mixed martial arts fighter charged in fight that hurt 3
Leader-Telegram of Eau Claire

Posted: 02/19/2009 12:01:00 AM CST

A 33-year-old Minnesota man, a recognized ultimate fighter, is accused of punching three men, including a decorated heavyweight high school wrestler, knocking out two of them.

Jamison C. Klair, whose last known address was either Hastings or Red Wing, Minn., recently was charged in Pierce County Court with two felony counts of substantial battery and a misdemeanor count of battery. A warrant was issued for his arrest.

The charges have a combined maximum penalty of three years in prison.
According to court records:

Police responded to a report of a fight about 1:40 a.m. Jan. 24 at Johnnies Bar in River Falls. Witnesses said Klair, who is 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs about 225 pounds, punched three men, two of whom were large with athletic builds.

One of the men, Joe Cudd, 29, was a two-time high school state champion wrestler and all-state football player. He is 6 feet 4 inches and weighs about 260 pounds. Another man struck was Bennie Berg, 28, also a former wrestler, who is 6 feet 2 inches and 250 pounds. The third man was Jesse W. Smith, 24. All are from River Falls.

Klair, a mixed martial arts promoter and former fighter, hit Cudd in the jaw after Cudd put a wet finger in the ear of Klair's friend, who was asleep at the bar. After that, records state, Cudd put a wet straw in the man's ear.
Klair reportedly told Cudd to leave his friend alone. Cudd said he gestured an apology with his hands and stepped back.

Cudd, who was turning away from Klair at the time of the punch, briefly was knocked out. He suffered a cut lip and a head wound requiring several stitches.

According to the court records, Klair punched Berg and Smith outside the bar. Berg was knocked unconscious for about four minutes and required six stitches on his lip. Smith also was hit in the face.

Before leaving the area, Klair took off his shirt and challenged anyone who wanted to confront him, telling witnesses he was an ultimate fighter. He has not been found.

Police said Klair has an extensive criminal history for battery and related crimes, according to the River Falls Journal.

According to various Web sites, Klair has promoted about 50 mixed martial arts events and was undefeated as a participant. Mixed martial arts is a full-contact combat sport that allows a variety of fighting techniques.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To an Englishman, that thread title is a rich vein of double entendres ... I shall walk away quickly ... please ignore my schoolboy giggling :lol:.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course these two burly guys just didn't do a dang thing wrong and being locals as I presume they are had all the other locals support that this one man did all that damage himself without provocation.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To an Englishman, that thread title is a rich vein of double entendres ... I shall walk away quickly ... please ignore my schoolboy giggling :lol:.

Must admit I did a double take when I read the title....lol! The story itself was a tad disappointing after that. :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

hee hee. You probably thought you'd have to RTM this right? ;)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*chortles as she walks away*

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeesh, fighter types seem to go off on just about anything don't they?
Sounds like the get needs to spend some more time in jail to cool off and then go to some anger management classes. The guys that bothered him seem like idiots too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the get needs to spend some more time in jail to cool off and then go to some anger management classes. The guys that bothered him seem like idiots too.

Excuse me? Are you judging us all by one guy?

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score

I'm sorry, but I will have to pull you up on that statement:). That is a very broad generalization. What is the statement based on? I am merely curious as to why you feel all fighters go off on one. I for one do not fit into that criteria, and I can name many many more who are humble guys who wouldn't hurt a fly when not competing.
This isn't a defensive rant, just curious is all;)

Regards
John

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I will have to pull you up on that statement:). That is a very broad generalization. What is the statement based on? I am merely curious as to why you feel all fighters go off on one. I for one do not fit into that criteria, and I can name many many more who are humble guys who wouldn't hurt a fly when not competing.
This isn't a defensive rant, just curious is all;)

Regards
John

Quoted for truth!

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah, apologies. My brother's a fighter too. What I meant to say was fighter types with big egos seem to fly off the handle at every little thing. If a fighter (or anyone for that matter) can keep his ego in check then things go just fine.

didn't mean to come off sounding the way I did, sorry.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, apologies. My brother's a fighter too. What I meant to say was fighter types with big egos seem to fly off the handle at every little thing. If a fighter (or anyone for that matter) can keep his ego in check then things go just fine.

didn't mean to come off sounding the way I did, sorry.

Tbh the apology didn't quite come off as it still sounds as if you are down on fighters. The bit in brackets is better, as Sandstorm said many many fighters don't have big egos. The problem in any case may not be ego, we weren't there so we don't know the situation, the press also has a habit of hyping things up to make copy.
Something that does happen to 'fighter types' ( and you'll have to explain exactly what that means you know) is that people with big egos like to bait them. I do realise you didn't mean to cause offence.

Being serious about the 'wet willy' thing ( which is difficult as Sukerkin says) in these days of Aids, hepititis etc having someones saliva shoved in your ear may well be cause for fighting! It's certainly an arrestable offence here since it constitutes assult.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Dagnamit, you beat me to it!

As for the story, he kicked someone in because of a prank? A pretty harmless one at that? Or did I misunderestimate the story?

Either way, I'm sure there's likely more to it than the story perhaps suggests... Nearly always is.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well after reading the article it sounds liek some local Bullies got their asses handed to them when they didnt get the usual back down response. The other thing you have to think about is the fact that if you are in a place where noone knows you and you jsut dropped 2 townies, you are going to want to intimidate the others from all jumping on you and basically getting mobbed.

Sounds like this guy did what he had to do. Just goes to show Karma comes back around and I am sure this is probably not the first time that those Local townies got into trouble or bullied someone in that bar. yeah MMA-ist's get a bad rap , but it seems to be a case of defense IMO. Granted none of us were there so we can only speculate but of course the MMA guy is going to get a bad rap for picking on 3 poor little 250+ pound Former wrestlers and football players HAHA.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I mean by "fighter types with big egos" are the type of scum that are always trying to be the alpha dog. Most fighters (my definition being a person who fights in a competition) that I have met are real jerks. They think they know everything and that they're the baddest guys on the planet. I mostly refering to amature MMA fighters, Out of seven that I know only two of them are what I'd consider to be decent human beings. Not all people who compete are jerks, clearly there are exceptions. But most of the guys I have met are macho wannabes that like to beat people up.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I and many of my students are amateur MMA so thanks for that...again.

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
What I mean by "fighter types with big egos" are the type of scum that are always trying to be the alpha dog. Most fighters (my definition being a person who fights in a competition) that I have met are real jerks. They think they know everything and that they're the baddest guys on the planet. I mostly refering to amature MMA fighters, Out of seven that I know only two of them are what I'd consider to be decent human beings. Not all people who compete are jerks, clearly there are exceptions. But most of the guys I have met are macho wannabes that like to beat people up.

Ok, this is definately a case of 'have shovel, will dig':wink1:

Back when I fought amateur and the sport was very new at the time, I can only think of one person out of the hundreds that competed that came across as an obnoxious 'tough guy' type. He got tooled pretty quickly in competition and his attitude changed until he went pro and then it started again, until, once again, he got tooled and disappeared from the sport altogether. Aside from him, there is one who plays the role of a Bad Boy in the ring, but not (as far as I'm aware) outside of it.
Everyone I have been involved with in this sport has been so humble and not full of themselves in any way. There are those who know they are good, of course, but they are not egomaniacal about it. There are those that aren't so good and don't pretend to be, they just compete for the love of the sport.
I guess where you are is a little different to the UK perhaps. All I can say is, as the sport has grown with more attention, there has been a surge of people who say they do MMA or 'UFC fighting' as some have called it (lol), but they really are nothing. The 'fighters' you refer to are nothing like those guys. I would happily introduce you to Leigh Remedios, Ian Freeman, James Zikic, Gaz Roriston, Jeremy Bailey, Adrian Wild, Jonny Burrows, John Kavanagh, Lee Murray, Dexter Casey..... etc etc. All of them and many more, pro fighters with no ego issues.

I hope this clarifies things a little for you and that those guys you are talking about are really nothing in this sport at all.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between us Sandstorm and I can reel off a threadful of names in MMA who are brilliant guys (and girls!)and everyone will disprove this "big ego scum" label. Big egos tend to get squashed very quickly in MMA if they get as far as competing, often they don't last beyond stepping into the gym lol let alone training.

Latest Discussions