fixed hold wrestling

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
fixed hold refers to a branch of wrestling arts where the wrestlers begin with a pre established grip which cannot be altered. this is different from "free-hold" wrestling where wrestlers fight for a dominant grip. sometimes i'll have my students play around with fixed hold wrestling, especially the ones who over think or hesitate when grip fighting. it really helps you focus on leg wrestling & paying attention to your balance. anyway here are some examples of fixed hold wrestling from around the world:

scottish back hold wrestling:

the very similar cumberland wrestling:

glima from iceland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haS_FaTekE&feature=related

ssireum from korea:

here is belt wrestling: if i understand correctly, this is an organization where multiple styles of fixed hold wrestlers can compete under unified rules:

anyway, there are many more styles & many that have been lost. i hope you enjoy the clips & please feel free to add any.

jf

Last edited by a moderator:

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting to watch, thanks!

I admit, as a stand-up striking martial artist my knowledge of wrestling/grappling can be written on the back of a postage stamp, so it's always good to see new ways of training.

I remember when I was on holiday as a teenager in the Lake District (in the UK) there was a display of Cumberland wrestling on at a village fair we were visiting. I remember being fascinated with it and watched almost as much of that as I did of the equestrian events (a minor miracle in itself, as I was a totally horse-obsessed teenager).

I'd like to get more into grappling in the future, but sadly, opportunities are very limited where I live.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Any form of martial arts or styles of wrestling will teach you some new things...

Both my son and daughter did high school wrestling (daughter is a junior) and this weekend is the Hawaii High School State Wreslting championships. She took 2nd place in her weight division on the Big Island and going to the State's Championships

They teach you to always give your "backs" so it is harder to pin you...so different from Jujistus and mix martial arts...and so many other rules too...design for sports only...

Fix hold wrestling must be just as hard within there rules....looks fun too!

Aloha,

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
did anyone else noticed that glima is not practiced on mats? they're just on a basketball court (or whatever they play on a court in iceland). i think i'll stick to softer landing surfaces.

jf

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

just thought i'd post this here before starting something new....hope it's ok

i figured you'd appreciate the clip, if you haven't seen it already.

j

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, it falls outside of fixed-hold wrestling, but it is an interesting clip!

jf