MMA Fighter Doesn't Like Wet Willy

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know there are plenty of professionals who act like jerks too. Most MMA guys I've met act like they're Tito Ortiz or one of the dumber contenstants from the reality TV show about the next ultimate fighter. Tez and sandstorm, if you know fighters who can be humble and don't feel the need to try and show off all the time then great! I wish I knew more people like that, but the main reason I left the tournament circuit was because most guys i competed against were loudmouths with bad atitudes. I don't know the people you know, from what you tell me they are stand up guys, but were I live they are not.

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know there are plenty of professionals who act like jerks too. Most MMA guys I've met act like they're Tito Ortiz or one of the dumber contenstants from the reality TV show about the next ultimate fighter. Tez and sandstorm, if you know fighters who can be humble and don't feel the need to try and show off all the time then great! I wish I knew more people like that, but the main reason I left the tournament circuit was because most guys i competed against were loudmouths with bad atitudes. I don't know the people you know, from what you tell me they are stand up guys, but were I live they are not.

That's a real shame. I left the sport for different reasons, but I do understand how this could have driven you to leave. I guess we are generally lucky here in the UK. I mean, I do know many fighters from the US too like Shannon Ritch, Sean McCully, Zane Frazier Mark Smith etc etc and other foreign fighters like Remco Pardoel and Sammy Schiavo etc, and none of these guys were anything but nice. I think perhaps in the States, with the rise in popularity of the sport and the fact that shows like 'The Ultimate Fighter', people get pumped and egotistical and believe they can perform just as well as any of those athletes. Thing is, in the early days, the events were there and the opportunities were there for those who were serious about fighting. Today, there are even more events and even more oportunities, if people are so good, why don't they get in the pro circuit and show us with skills instead of bad mouthing and BS?
Like I said, the UK doesn't seem to have this problem, but I see such people as being short lived in the sport. People like Ortiz are showmen and they have been known to get tooled outside the ring/cage.

Dress shoes are no excuse:wink1: ( some may know what I'm talking about here:ultracool)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ok so you have some bad apples where you live but MMA is widespread in the rest of the States, UK, Europe, Russia, Australia and the Far East including Japan and you are labeling all the fighters in MMA as the same as the few you know.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think perhaps in the States, with the rise in popularity of the sport and the fact that shows like 'The Ultimate Fighter', people get pumped and egotistical and believe they can perform just as well as any of those athletes. Thing is, in the early days, the events were there and the opportunities were there for those who were serious about fighting. Today, there are even more events and even more oportunities, if people are so good, why don't they get in the pro circuit and show us with skills instead of bad mouthing and BS?
Like I said, the UK doesn't seem to have this problem, but I see such people as being short lived in the sport. People like Ortiz are showmen and they have been known to get tooled outside the ring/cage.

Dress shoes are no excuse:wink1: ( some may know what I'm talking about here:ultracool)

Yes I think this pretty much wraps up how I feel about the whole situation. Perhaps I've been venting my frustrations out on fighters in general instead of directing at those who specifically act badly. It's just that my experience in competitive MA has left a bad taste in my mouth and because of that I associate the word "fighter" almost with the word "bully". I've run into so many guys who scream at judges about the way they call then fight, or who flip off their opponents after they win, or even full on attack a competitor after the match is over. But I guess for each of those goons who disgraced the martial arts there were just as many if not more guys who showed good sportsmanship and respect to others.
You guys are right, I shouldn't generalize things this way; I'll try to be less condemning of people who don't necessarily deserve it.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here we have multiple people larger than teh person under arrest who were fighting. It sounds like a case of 3 on 1 when the one is the smallest person there. How the heck did he get arrested?

This reminds me of another thread a few months back where a "mma fighter" was killed while camping.... by being dragged to death behind a truck. The others claimed he was acting crazy and swinging a hatchet, so they tied a rope around his neck and another guy drove off....

Has being a fighter suddenly become an automatic ticket to jail or a get out of jail free card for others?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we have multiple people larger than teh person under arrest who were fighting. It sounds like a case of 3 on 1 when the one is the smallest person there. How the heck did he get arrested?

This reminds me of another thread a few months back where a "mma fighter" was killed while camping.... by being dragged to death behind a truck. The others claimed he was acting crazy and swinging a hatchet, so they tied a rope around his neck and another guy drove off....

Has being a fighter suddenly become an automatic ticket to jail or a get out of jail free card for others?

It's like a nasty game of Chinese whispers, people who know little or nothing about MMA have decided only pyschos and morons are involved so they make a big fuss about it, even more people who Know nothing about it believe them and so the witch hunt carries on. yes, you will get some bullies and idiots involved, put your hand on your heart and tell me you haven't got them also in your style BUT they really are the minority and tbh they tend to be the wannabes not the actual fans or participants.

Himura, you say you were involved in competitive MA, was this actually MMA?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No I was a sport karate competitor, my brother was in MMA. I consider a fighter to be any kind of person who fights in a competition whether it is karate, mma, judo, kendo, or what not.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I was a sport karate competitor, my brother was in MMA. I consider a fighter to be any kind of person who fights in a competition whether it is karate, mma, judo, kendo, or what not.

That is a large amount of people to be condemning then.
You said you were talking mostly about amateur MMA fighters first and then you said you were fed up of the way fighters behaved, shouting at judges etc, you gave the impression whether intentionally or not you were talking specifically about MMA fighters.
If you were a sports karate competitior I'm afraid I don't consider you a fighter, sorry but points sparring isn't fighting, if you'd said you'd been in full contact competitions yes but not 'sports' karate. I believe Judoka who compete call themselves players. Skilled though they are I don't consider Olympic TKD competitors fighters either. Proper full contact TKDers yes.
I'm not sure Kendo people consider themselves fighters, perhaps a practitioner could let us know?

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh well besides all the other stuff here, I still say these two fools probably asked for more then the article is letting on (not saying this dude is an angel or anything).

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tez, you're right in that I was wrongly condemning people I shouldn't be, but I have a different definition of a fighter than you do. Although I could see why you use the definition you do and I'm starting to think that maybe that's a better route to go. If you don't consider me a fighter that's fine, I don't consider myself one either. I don't want to be a fighter; it doesn't interest me.
Needless to say I don't compete in point sparring any more not only because of the kinds of people I ran into, but because I found it to be pointless and unrealistic. I now train in a more realistic way for self-protection and the protection of others. I did a couple of full contact fights but found I didn't like it much because I was afraid of injuring people so I quit doing it. I'm just not into competitions, full contact or otherwise.

I have been harsh and criticizing of groups that I shouldn't have been so quick to generalize, so I've learned something, neh?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, you're right in that I was wrongly condemning people I shouldn't be, but I have a different definition of a fighter than you do. Although I could see why you use the definition you do and I'm starting to think that maybe that's a better route to go. If you don't consider me a fighter that's fine, I don't consider myself one either. I don't want to be a fighter; it doesn't interest me.
Needless to say I don't compete in point sparring any more not only because of the kinds of people I ran into, but because I found it to be pointless and unrealistic. I now train in a more realistic way for self-protection and the protection of others. I did a couple of full contact fights but found I didn't like it much because I was afraid of injuring people so I quit doing it. I'm just not into competitions, full contact or otherwise.

I have been harsh and criticizing of groups that I shouldn't have been so quick to generalize, so I've learned something, neh?

I imagine you are a fighter in the best sense, that's probably why points didn't suit you! When you need to I have no doubt you will 'turn it on' as they say!
MMA fighters, believe it or not don't go in to hurt their opponent as such, they go in to win...against their opponent and themselves. If you can watch the recent UFC 95 from London that was on in London last Saturday, some of the American fighters were complaining the refs stopped the fights too early but Marc Goddard is a superb ref and knows exactly when a fighter has had enough usually before they do.
I wonder if we should start a new thread...what is a fighter lol, I'd better do a search first though to see if there's been one recently first.

I wish too you could meet some of our guys so you could see what we mean! though the way they are doing in the UFC perhaps you will get to see them soon. Take care!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmm... licking one's finger and sticking it into a stranger's orafice.... not real bright. And in a bar no less. Clock cleaning deserved. I hope that the charges against the fighter are dropped.

And the man's name is Cudd? No offense to anyone here with that last name, but isn't that something that certain animals chew?

Daniel