MMA and cauliflower ear

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with ear guards being an option, but part of MMA is the lack of protective equipment. The gloves are more to protect the fighters hands then to protect the person getting hit.

I personally won't/don't wear them and I don't like the idea of the league mandating it.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with ear guards being an option, but part of MMA is the lack of protective equipment. The gloves are more to protect the fighters hands then to protect the person getting hit.

I personally won't/don't wear them and I don't like the idea of the league mandating it.

Is that really part of MMA? Why couldn't one practice MMA with protective equipment? I know from experience that gear cuts down on injuries...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that really part of MMA? Why couldn't one practice MMA with protective equipment? I know from experience that gear cuts down on injuries...

Practice is very different from compete.

If you start throwing more equipment into competition it will change the game.

In training everyone uses more equipment. Youtube has all sorts of videos of fighters training, when they spar they are wearing boxing gloves, shin pads and often headgear, none of which will ever end up in competition.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Should the MMA leagues mandate the use of ear garuds like high school wrestling does?

Cauliflower ear looks ugly and is not really repairable. So why not use the ear guards? Plus cauliflower ear also cause some hearing loss.

What are your thoughts?
We should also require ballerinas to wear some foot protection because it's well known that ballet causes all sorts of foot issues that are hideous. I mean, I'm all for protecting kids, but if I don't care about it why should you? It's vanity and just becuase you thinks it's ugly doesn't mean everyone does.

Everything we do leaves some kind of mark.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's vanity and just becuase you thinks it's ugly doesn't mean everyone does.
No, cauliflower ear is "Ugly"!

Looks like a wad of hubba bubba stuck to his head.
cauliflower4.jpg

On the other hand, there is this, but not sure how true it is.
chicks_love_cauliflower_ear_tshirt-p235704360745953466uye8_400.jpg

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

cauliflower4.jpg

On the other hand, there is this, but not sure how true it is.
chicks_love_cauliflower_ear_tshirt-p235704360745953466uye8_400.jpg

Do you want to date the chicks that will nibble on those ears? LOL!!!

To each their own I guess...

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you want to date the chicks that will nibble on those ears? LOL!!!

To each their own I guess...
I do find it funny that she hides her face. Neck down shot. She's a closet CE lover...ha ha ha.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think that if someone is so shallow that that can't look past cauliflower ear... there is something wrong (I'm not pointing fingers, just saying in general).

Should the MMA leagues mandate the use of ear gaurds like high school wrestling does? No. First, thank the heavens we are not in HS. I support ear protection for children, but adults? Whatever. Then again, how many kids do you know are MMA fighters?

Secondly, I hate any regulation that takes a fighter's choice away citing their own safety over things that are not really that important. MMA is full contact fighting, let it be what it is. I feel it has been regulated on the safety side as far as it should be. Otherwise we end up with olympic boxing:

U3134P461T74D8165F1661DT20080824174014.jpg

No thanks.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I think that if someone is so shallow that that can't look past cauliflower ear... there is something wrong (I'm not pointing fingers, just saying in general).
Good statement. I just know that for myself (on me) I would not like it. But as anything if unavoidable then I would have to deal with it. Just like no one wants a broken nose or a knocked out tooth, I don't think anyone wants CE. But once you have it then you have to deal with it.

Hazzard of the trade I guess.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good statement. I just know that for myself (on me) I would not like it. But as anything if unavoidable then I would have to deal with it. Just like no one wants a broken nose or a knocked out tooth, I don't think anyone wants CE. But once you have it then you have to deal with it.

Hazzard of the trade I guess.

I have a knocked out tooth! it goes back fine with superglue! I'll get it fixed when I've finished with martial arts.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used ear protection at different times. The reason was that my ears were so sore and I wanted to continue training at a competitive pace so the ear guards made it viable to do so. (probably saved my ears from being mashed to) I think they are good training options and usable for anyone who needs them. I do not however think that they should be mandated in competition.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three of my favourite fighters none of whom have cauli ears, first Ian Butlin, his twin Dave doesn't either, next Leigh Remedious who fought Genki Sudo in UFC and of course Ian 'The Machine' Freeman, UFC vet even you lot should have seen lol! all three have bums you can bounce pennies off btw,

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I think that it looks more like a potsticker, but I just don't think it's any big deal. As I said, you think it's ugly, but to many within MMA or grappling, it's just the indelible mark that the sport leaves, like enlarged knuckles on a karateka or disfigured feet on a ballerina. I just can't bring myself to get worked up about it. Having, at 39, 16% body fat, a strong core and more fun than I've had since I was a kid in exchange for gnarly ears... I consider that an easy decision. Really, no decision at all.

Personally, I don't think it's a badge of honor or any sign of dedication to the art. Some guys are naturally prone to cauliflower... 3 months after training, they look like they've got giant pieces of garlic in their ear. some guys train to black belt before they have any issues. It's just a silly little thing. As I said, vanity.

Now, this isn't to say that there's any stigma against headgear. While there are certainly guys who dig the cauliflower, lots of guys wear headgaear and it's no big deal. They aren't considered wimps or anything. It's up to them. I won't wear headgear because I tried it and hated it.

On a tangent, I've often argued that women are way more superficial than men when it comes to dating, attraction and relationships. Men are more overt, but when it comes down to it, women on the whole are far more style over substance and this is just another example of that.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So a discussion about gear devolves in to what's sexy on a guy, the number of girls one can score and an overall implication that only men grapple. And women are superficial to boot. Ooookay.

Someone let me know when y'all are ready to put the gender issues aside and actually talk about training, mmkay?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So a discussion about gear devolves in to what's sexy on a guy, the number of girls one can score and an overall implication that only men grapple. And women are superficial to boot. Ooookay.

Someone let me know when y'all are ready to put the gender issues aside and actually talk about training, mmkay?

Haha. Carol, I may have been baiting a little. But, this isn't really a thread about gear. It's about, at least from the OP, what ATC thinks is ugly and that MMA should change the rules because of it. It's exactly the shallow nature of the entire train of though I was pointing out.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haha. Carol, I may have been baiting a little. But, this isn't really a thread about gear. It's about, at least from the OP, what ATC thinks is ugly and that MMA should change the rules because of it. It's exactly the shallow nature of the entire train of though I was pointing out.
Well I started the thread really just to see what people thought about ear guards in MMA to help prevent CE. I have my opinions on why I would wear one mandated or not. But like all threads with more than a couple replies, they tend to go off topic a bit and people continue to coversate regardless where the topic strays to. Plus I stated from the begining that I thought CE looked ugly. Look at the starting post.

Latest Discussions