MMA and cauliflower ear

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Should the MMA leagues mandate the use of ear garuds like high school wrestling does?

Cauliflower ear looks ugly and is not really repairable. So why not use the ear guards? Plus cauliflower ear also cause some hearing loss.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sould the MMA leagues mandate the use of ear garuds like high school wrestling does?

Cauliflower ear looks ugly and is not really repairable. So why not use the ear guards? Plus cauliflower ear also cause some hearing loss.

What are your thoughts?

Cauliflower ear is very treatable if one gets attention right away. It only causes hearing loss in rare circumstances.

Some guys see it as a badge of honor.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cauliflower ear is very treatable if one gets attention right away. It only causes hearing loss in rare circumstances.

Some guys see it as a badge of honor.
Yes it is treatable but not everyone can get it attended to right away. Also even though treated it still may look very ugly and not as it normaly did.

Badge of honor for some but still looks ugly. I think once you got it and you know it is there for life you call it a badge of honor. I don't think anyone would want to have it if they had a choice.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is treatable but not everyone can get it attended to right away. Also even though treated it still may look very ugly and not as it normaly did.

Badge of honor for some but still looks ugly. I think once you got it and you know it is there for life you call it a badge of honor. I don't think anyone would want to have it if they had a choice.

One of our fighters is very proud of his, I know rugby players don't mind either. It's a man thing, making them wear stupid hat things just because theres a chance (not a very big one) they may get a cauliflower ear is just too wimpish for words lol! For crying out loud they are fighters, adults and it's their choice!! don't start castrating our sport!

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of our fighters is very proud of his, I know rugby players don't mind either. It's a man thing, making them wear stupid hat things just because theres a chance (not a very big one) they may get a cauliflower ear is just too wimpish for words lol! For crying out loud they are fighters, adults and it's their choice!! don't start castrating our sport!
Just getting opinions, is all. I like to fight, but I like to look good to.
icon10.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Should the MMA leagues mandate the use of ear garuds like high school wrestling does?

What are your thoughts?

Thing is, most of the MMA guys already have it, so IMO, what the sense of the guards? I admit is does look nasty, and I remember that MMA show on TV, what was it...Elite FC, where Kimbo was fighting a guy who had it. He landed a punch to his ear and it burst.

Personally, if its effecting someone that bad, they should get the surgery.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just getting opinions, is all. I like to fight, but I like to look good to.
icon10.gif

If you like to fight and want to protect your ears, then there is nothing wrong with you wearing them. :)

I just have an issue with the idea that leagues should mandate their use.

prokarateshop

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just dont think fighters should be allowed to permanently damage themselves.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They'll never fly for competition, in training people can do as they please.

As far as damaging themself, people in every sport do things that damage themself, some things are part of the game (knees in Basketball), others could be avoided (swollen knuckles in many traditional martial arts schools)

As long as they know the risk and accept the consequences its really up to them.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wear the ear protection and brag about how much more girls you score because your ears aren't all ****ed up. Flash a few flavors of the week around and suddenly the Cauliflower Ear Fad will begin to lose steam. Thats you get things done in the man world. LOL!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like to fight and want to protect your ears, then there is nothing wrong with you wearing them. :)

I just have an issue with the idea that leagues should mandate their use.

Exactly, next it would be wearing shin and foot pads, then well perhaps we better not let them hit so hard so it will be point scoring and we'd better take the sub moves out because my, they might damage something etc etc.
I know more people without cauli ears than I do with, some can grapple for years and never get them others can grapple once and bang there it goes.

As for looking good a mate of mine an actor who also does pro MMA, ad some tough fights, his hardest is going on at the moment, he's knocking off someone called Jordan ( and yes I do use the word 'knocking' advisedly as I won't dignify this with anything else) she was in America for a while, married to the singer Peter Andre so you may know of her but shes z class celebrity list lol. Anyway Alex has never had a cauli ear and frequently goes on talk shows etc to say how MMA isn't as brutal as people think, he keeps his good looks easily.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Alex has never had a cauli ear and frequently goes on talk shows etc to say how MMA isn't as brutal as people think, he keeps his good looks easily.
I am sure there are always exceptions, but I have seen alot of ugly looking ears.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am sure there are always exceptions, but I have seen alot of ugly looking ears.

Yes, but no one ever goes "Holy crap! What a normal looking ear that guy has!" It's only the ugly ones that get noticed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATC why are you looking at mens ears? I'm a woman and I don't do that!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I do. I like a man with a nice, neat ear. Though you wouldn't think it, since my husband has bizarrely huge earlobes, and I still find him attractive (well, most of the time, anyway). Cauliflower ears give me the creeps.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do. I like a man with a nice, neat ear. Though you wouldn't think it, since my husband has bizarrely huge earlobes, and I still find him attractive (well, most of the time, anyway). Cauliflower ears give me the creeps.

Nah I like a cute bum ( bottom/backside/**** to you lot lol), have to say most fighters I know don't have cauli ears, a lot of rugby players do though.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you see anything ugly you tend notice it. The reason I asked the question is because I was messing around (wrestling) and my ears were really hot afterwards and I immediately thought about the cauliflower ears. Use to wrestle in high school and alway wore the head (ear) guards, so I just thought I ask the question. I just know I would not want my ears looking like some I have seen.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You could always say to the guys, "Hey, Joe Rogan wears headgear when he grapples!" :mst:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with wearing protection if you think you're going to be vulnerable to a specific injury. I tend to be an injury prone klutz...I usually keep a small cooler handy that has some water bottles and an cold pack. If a part of the body is particularly after training, icing it down right away can help keep inflammation in check without resorting to Vitamin I (ibuprofen) :lol:

Latest Discussions