Mitose Forms

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
wHY TRIM THEM THEY ARE ALL LEGITAMATE FROM MASTERS OF THE ART AT LEAST SOME OF THEM SUCH AS DOC. iT GETS DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE ISSUE AND THAT CAN NOT BE DONE IN TWO SENTENCES.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dave Simmons
The first four forms were created for mainland Kenpo by Grandmaster Jimmy Wing Woo (collaberation request by Parker). Subsequently many of Ed Parker's early black belts followed Woo later. This happened in 60's! The rest is history as well.

Dave Simmons

http://www.mnkenpo.com
:)
We can agree on that. I guess in many ways I was lucky growing up in Southern California and was priviledged to bump into "masters" from different arts all the time. The list of people I had a chance to meet (and took for granted at the time) is awesome. I mean, Jimmy Woo's Chinese Martial Arts Association was right there on Hollywood Blvd.

The notable "defection" was James Ibrao who traveled to Northern California with Parker for some of those lessons from various Chinese Masters, and ultimately just stayed when Parker came back south.

Ark Wong's Kwoon was right there off Broadway on Ord Street (where "Tiny" Lefiti trained also), which was around the corner from College street where Bruce Lee settled his school, which was around the corner from the Chinese restaurant "Won Kok" where Parker used to go eat with some of lucky guys.

On Hollywood Blvd you also had Oshima's dojo, on Olympic was Nishiyama, and Nakayama taught one summer at Los Angeles High School. Sea Oh Choi of Hap Ki Do opened the first such school in the U.S. on Crenshaw and Jefferson in 64' followed by Brian Sung down the street on Jefferson. Then my good friend Bong Soo Han (sponsored by Choi) came over and opend a school across from Manual Arts High where I was teaching my after school club of Kenpo. He shared pictures with me of some movie he worked on called "Billy Jack" and we laughed about a Korean playing a Native American Indian in a movie. Obsurd. On sunset you had Tak Kubota and his group over by Hollywood High, where guys like my college friend George Byrd slugged it out so often, he had no front teeth.

Also over on Jefferson was the Sinan Dojo famous for Goju, down the street from an Aikido school, down the street from a judo School. Over on Pico was San Soo.

And of course you had Parker in Pasadena and he also had a school on 76th and Crenshaw, that moved later to Inglewood on Hawthorne off Century ran by Chuck Sullivan. If you wanted to fight you had to go through there (Thursday was the night).

The greatest thing that could happen to a youngster in Southern Cal was to get a car. Once you had wheels, all of these places (and many more) were within 20 minutes of each other.

You see for many of you these things are history. For an old geezer like me, their just really great memories. I'll stop rambling now.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
I have have heard many things but never had I heard of Chow being "nervous" or intimadated by anyone, especially Mitose.

I've never heard anyone speak of Mitose's skills

Lisa Chun related this story back in the early 90's at the Tracy school in Lexington. She is pictured in Mitose's book, and was taught by Mitose so that his sister could have a workout partner. She was Chow's girlfiriend for a while, and would accompany Chow when he was teaching. Chow was a "kickass" kind of guy, but Ms. Chun states that when Mitose would show up to a class that Chow was teaching, it was obvious who the master and who the student was.

Dave

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by cassidy
wHY TRIM THEM THEY ARE ALL LEGITAMATE FROM MASTERS OF THE ART AT LEAST SOME OF THEM SUCH AS DOC. iT GETS DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE ISSUE AND THAT CAN NOT BE DONE IN TWO SENTENCES.

You should quote as much as you feel you need to quote. In some cases that will be the whole article. In other cases that will make the post less readable.

At some point however older posts will need to be taken offline for storage reasons. This happens on all fora--often only posts from the previous year or two are available online. MartialTalk has more storage available than many sites but even still a limit will some day be hit. Overquoting adds storage requirements but does not contribute new information ot already found somewhere in the thread.

Please, quote as you feel you need to--it's far from an urgent problem. However, if you keep this matter in mind, it'll help us keep more of these posts easily available in the future.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Please, quote as you feel you need to--it's far from an urgent problem. However, if you keep this matter in mind, it'll help us keep more of these posts easily available in the future.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin- [/B][/QUOTE]

Sir! Yes sir!

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Doc that is to funny,taking me back to basic training days in the military:)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo_cory
OK, I have a question regarding the forms in American Kenpo. If Mr. Parker was Professor Chow's student and Professor Chow didn't teach any forms, with the exception of maybe one that I've heard of so far, then why did Mr. Parker and his students take such time creating the forms of American Kenpo. Obviously with the skill Mr. Parker showed it is not necessary to teach the forms in order to teach all of the principles and concepts.

The principles and concepts didn't exist before Parker. Once he began learning from the Chinese Parker understood the value of forms as "indexs of information." It's called "evolution."

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
You see for many of you these things are history. For an old geezer like me, their just really great memories. I'll stop rambling now.

Great stuff Mr Chapel, I love your history lessons. Thank you. :asian:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dave Simmons
The first four forms were created for mainland Kenpo by Grandmaster Jimmy Wing Woo (collaberation request by Parker). Subsequently many of Ed Parker's early black belts followed Woo later. This happened in 60's! The rest is history as well.

Dave Simmons

http://www.mnkenpo.com
:)

Wow, I never knew that. Thank you.

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Doc

I've enjoyed every bit of your rambling :D Thanks for sharing

:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Your experience and sharing here with us is appreciated.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
SIR! "Full Metal Jacket" still gives me the shakes. SIR!

I just watched that for the first time last week. I was never in the military but I was a civilian DoD employee for 5 years in very military environments and it does bring back memories!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

Yes, this is very much what we want the space used for! It's the members who make MartialTalk such a useful place by the content they contribute. We're fortunate to have such knowledgeable and well-known people here.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Hey P.T.
You know in all the things we've discussed over time this seems to be the only area we disagree. That's a pretty good track record considering I had more disagreements than that with Ed Parker. In the big picture I guess it doesn't really matter and I'll still go teach on Tuesday and Mitose won't come up. I wish you could have seem him though. really bad. See you soon Buddy, and thank you for the very kind words.:asian:

:asian: :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

That goes for us non-Kenpoka too--I've certainly learned a lot about kenpo by lurking in threads like these!

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by arnisador
That goes for us non-Kenpoka too--I've certainly learned a lot about kenpo by lurking in threads like these!

All very good, interesting information, and on top of that, no readers here lost any teeth, or blood!:)

M

Mike

Originally posted by arnisador
Yes, this is very much what we want the space used for!

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

I learned much from this single thread. At it's best this is a great forum.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are some reasons for defending the Mitose Lineage that should not be aired on any forums.

Even tho I enjoy Chape'ls thoughts, ideas, teachings and point of views...... at times we do disagree...... However, as far as this string goes..... I agree with him 100%.

:asian:

Latest Discussions