Five Elements

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I seen the five elements listed in another thread somewhere here on the board. I was curious to know how many instructors out there teach the five elements and how? How do you incorporate it into kenpo training? What do you teach of it and why?

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
i was taught the 5 elements, and i continue to use it in my teaching. i use it to help give a picture of the basic fighting styles. it does help me, when i go up against an oponent for the first time, i analyze which of the elements is dominant in them. then, i am able to use that in my defense, and couter-striking. i use them as follows:

fire - this is a straight in-and-out style. when the opponent attacks, you meet his attack.

water - this is the opposite of fire. it still moves basically in-and-out, but instead of meeting the attack, it moves back. when the opponent moves back, water attacks.

wind (air) - this uses angles and counter-striking much more. it circles around the opponent until it finds an opening, and attacks swiftly.

mountain (earth) - this style tends to be a larger fighter. he stands in one place, allowing his opponent to move around him. when the opponent attacks, he is firmly rooted, and counters effectively.

void - this is a combination of all 4 of the previous. this is the goal we all strive to attain.

that's a *very* brief description of how i use the elements. i don't dwell on them too much, but they have helped me, and a few of my students.

hope this helps,
jb

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by thesensei
i was taught the 5 elements, and i continue to use it in my teaching. i use it to help give a picture of the basic fighting styles. it does help me, when i go up against an oponent for the first time, i analyze which of the elements is dominant in them. then, i am able to use that in my defense, and couter-striking. i use them as follows:

fire - this is a straight in-and-out style. when the opponent attacks, you meet his attack.

water - this is the opposite of fire. it still moves basically in-and-out, but instead of meeting the attack, it moves back. when the opponent moves back, water attacks.

wind (air) - this uses angles and counter-striking much more. it circles around the opponent until it finds an opening, and attacks swiftly.

mountain (earth) - this style tends to be a larger fighter. he stands in one place, allowing his opponent to move around him. when the opponent attacks, he is firmly rooted, and counters effectively.

void - this is a combination of all 4 of the previous. this is the goal we all strive to attain.

that's a *very* brief description of how i use the elements. i don't dwell on them too much, but they have helped me, and a few of my students.

hope this helps,
jb

That is a rather unique interpretation of the Five Element Theory and along way from TCM..

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, i am aware it is a unique interpretation. When I first started Kenpo, I didn't know anything about it, and that is what I was taught. A few years later, I began to do research into other arts, and discovered that that is certainly not the traditional interpretation. But, it is useful to me, so I continue using it that way! hehe, my instructor wasn't exactly 'traditional' anyway!! :D

jb

Latest Discussions