May be a off question but...

Lil Tenzan

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are maybe courses you guys think a dedicated martial artist should study in college. Reason being I want to go to college but i have absolutely no major in mind.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are maybe courses you guys think a dedicated martial artist should study in college. Reason being I want to go to college but i have absolutely no major in mind.

I've always been a firm believer in doing something that you enjoy. If you don't, chances are you may not put 100% into it. So, the first question would be...what are you interested in?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always been a firm believer in doing something that you enjoy. If you don't, chances are you may not put 100% into it. So, the first question would be...what are you interested in?

I agree with MJS here

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My advice is similar.

Unless you have to declare a major as a freshman, explore. Take solid general ed classes, and a couple of "intro to" classes in majors that interest you. Study something that's interesting and exciting to you, instead of worrying about whether you'll land a job with that degree or what it'll mean for a career. That way, you'll do well in your studies, which will likely have a bigger impact on your first couple of jobs than what your degree is in. (After all, if all the history and econ majors I know were working in those fields, we'd have a more historians and economists than janitors!)

You could do studies in parks & rec or sports marketing or sports physiology or phys ed if you want something kind of martial arts related. If you're thinking about opening a martial arts school -- take business classes. You've got the martial arts already -- you need the business if you want to succeed.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you think you're going to continue in Martial Arts for a long time, you might consider some kind of anatomy, nutrition or physical therapy class just to augment your martial arts understanding. Perhaps a history class?

Nevertheless, focus on educating yourself well for your career endeavor.

Enjoy!

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you enjoy the subject, I think it's worthwhile. That being said..

I got a BA in Psychology and I can say that understanding the human mind surely helps me understand the martial arts in a new perspective.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Anatomy and physiology, kinesiology & psychology. The body is an amazing machine it's real interesting to take a look under the hood.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Anatomy and physiology, kinesiology & psychology.

Good suggestions add to that physical fitness, health. And of course Chinese, Japanese, Korean languages (depending on country of origin of MAs of interest). You can also apply Physics to MA training as well and many an MA teacher today has said they wish they took Business.

Do you really need a major to start? Didn't in my day

Go to college, take a few courses, figure out what you like best and go from there.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Go to college, take a few courses, figure out what you like best and go from there.

What they (and pretty much everyone else) said - try some general classes for your core requirements and see what you like.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with most of the other posters, physiology, nutrition, phys. ed., anatomy, biomechanics, all can be helpful in supplmenting you martial arts understanding.

Languages, can be intersting as well.

A couple things that haven't been answered are philosophy, anthropology, and history. If you have a particular art that you are interested in, gaining insight into the culture and philosophy of the the society of its origins can be very useful. For example, delving into the Eastern philosophy of duality (ying/yang) can help uncover intersting insights into martial applications.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you enjoy the subject, I think it's worthwhile. That being said..

I got a BA in Psychology and I can say that understanding the human mind surely helps me understand the martial arts in a new perspective.

Sweet deal! I chose Philosophy, and while it is certainly difficult to find an orthodox job with a philosophy degree, the intangible benefits are priceless!

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can learn psych and hist and stuff later, as a martial artist taking teaching classes will help not only in communication skills but also in understanding how students learn, what helps them learn easier/faster and retain knwoledge. You can also learn better study habbits/methods, in these courses they also teach some psychology. A teaching degree can help much, in all avenues of life.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I strongly agree with MJS, I would add this advice I learned myself. In college, I loved MA & trained daily, but I planned to go into ministry. So, my choice for college was a degree in Biblical Studies. I also planned to go to seminary. While there was some time in between college & seminary, I had a degree that told most folks outside the church "this guy doesn't know how to do our business." That has been the perception of folks about my education.

I tell you that to say this: Get a degree in something you can make money doing & that you enjoy. Your passion may take you a while to attain & you need to support yourself in the meantime.

20 years after college, I do what I went to school for AND teach MA too.

All the best in your search to do what you love.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
While I strongly agree with MJS, I would add this advice I learned myself. In college, I loved MA & trained daily, but I planned to go into ministry. So, my choice for college was a degree in Biblical Studies. I also planned to go to seminary. While there was some time in between college & seminary, I had a degree that told most folks outside the church "this guy doesn't know how to do our business." That has been the perception of folks about my education.

I tell you that to say this: Get a degree in something you can make money doing & that you enjoy. Your passion may take you a while to attain & you need to support yourself in the meantime.

20 years after college, I do what I went to school for AND teach MA too.

All the best in your search to do what you love.

Absolutely, I agree. I was coming at the question from the point of view of a Minor or elective class, not a Major.

Latest Discussions