College...

OP
MartialArtHeart

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
Go to college and find another MA school if can and if you can't and you are saying that you are worried about missing out on hard training. Does this mean you cannot train on your own and train hard?
I shall train with my whole heart wherever I go... but I want to learn new things. Of course, I will train on my own all the time, as I do now. In fact, that is why I cannot go to college in NY, CA, or any other of a number of states; there I cannot train on my own with my nunchaku(my favorite weapon).

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. But I think the reason I really need a good martial arts program is so that I can better myself as a martial artist. What I mean is that, while I'm gone, the people at Alexander's will keep training... I don't want to come back as a has-been. I worry that if I don't keep my involvement in MA up, I'll lose my passion, and I won't even bother to go back. Or if I do go back, the people that stayed there will have gotten better, and I'll still be the same, or a step down.

And there are a few other reasons, too. One is that I assist classes right now, and when I leave all of the kids that I help are going to grow... they're going to expect me to have grown in my time, too... some of them may be full black belts when I get back! (I'm actually considering going local just so I can keep teaching these kids; I love 'em to death)

I know you are going to say I'm being too competitive, or that that's not what the MAs are about... but I can't come back if I'm not stronger than before... stronger than I would have been if I had not have left. I know it's ridiculous... but the MAs are my life. Like I said, I've got a good chance of becoming an instructor... I already assist an average of 7 classes a week, and I've taught my own class in the absence of the instructor before...
this is definitely going to be my life, if I have anything to say about it.

What I don't know is the form it shall take. I don't know if I wish to own my own business, or perhaps be an instructor on the side while I pursue another career, or write my own books on the MAs, or any of a number of different things. Hence the need for college... plus I would be crucified for not going. ;)

It's always nice to have it all - a good education and martial arts training. You should strive for it whenever you can. But you have to accept that there will be times when you have to choose. You cannot always serve two masters at the same time. For me, martial arts and the desire to be strong is great but your future should take precedence.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Just a thought but one way of having the best of both worlds, martial arts and college, could be to do college part time. A normal semester for most places is 15 credit hours, or 5 3-credit classes. Trust me, thats a lot for anyone; if I could do it over again, I would've only taken 3-4 classes a semester.

-So, if you want to stick with your current martial arts school, and there is a college locally that has classes that interests you, take a few classes and continue your training. Like someone above mentioned, a community college is a great way to save money, plus, like I mentioned earlier, you can take the general ed. classes until you're sure of what you want to major in.

-Just a suggestion;-)

A--->

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
-Just a thought but one way of having the best of both worlds, martial arts and college, could be to do college part time. A normal semester for most places is 15 credit hours, or 5 3-credit classes. Trust me, thats a lot for anyone; if I could do it over again, I would've only taken 3-4 classes a semester.

-So, if you want to stick with your current martial arts school, and there is a college locally that has classes that interests you, take a few classes and continue your training. Like someone above mentioned, a community college is a great way to save money, plus, like I mentioned earlier, you can take the general ed. classes until you're sure of what you want to major in.

This is a very expensive idea. (Think of the full-time salary given up in years 5+, for example.) I would counsel focusing on college for 4 years, then getting on with things!

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Oh I don't think it has to be expensive. A lot will depend on what M.A.Heart wants to do. A person could work full time, take a couple of classes a semester, 1 or 2 during the winter/summer breaks, and still continue training. I think the question is would a person want to spend that much time to get a degree? And again, I think it depends on desires and goals and picking the appropriate path to meet them. Taking 5 classes a semester is a lot of work, at least it was for me. Then again, if work or money are not of great importance, and you could handle the school "work" load, then by all means, get it done in 4 years.

A--->

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
-Oh I don't think it has to be expensive. A lot will depend on what M.A.Heart wants to do. A person could work full time, take a couple of classes a semester, 1 or 2 during the winter/summer breaks, and still continue training. I think the question is would a person want to spend that much time to get a degree? And again, I think it depends on desires and goals and picking the appropriate path to meet them. Taking 5 classes a semester is a lot of work, at least it was for me. Then again, if work or money are not of great importance, and you could handle the school "work" load, then by all means, get it done in 4 years.

A--->
If at all possible -- do college in one shot. Stretching over extra years gets costly, both at the school and in terms of lost career time. Consider that some fields (like teaching) almost require five years as it stands; add an extra year or two of working part-time, and the financial impact adds up quickly. And going to school while working full time is very difficult. Especially if the field is demanding...

If you're not ready to go to school -- don't. It'll just be a waste of time and money. But define the time off, work full-time at a "real" job, whether that's teaching martial arts or digging ditches, and get out on your own. Or enlist... Even take the year off and travel -- but have a purpose. Don't squander that year, and have a time when it's up, and you make the decision about going back to school.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You might look very strongly at your local Community College if you have one. I advocate doing your freshman year there. It's a heckuva lot cheaper, and you can get most of your academics out of the way: English, History, Math, etc. Make good grades, then apply to the colleges of your choice as a transfer. You will have an advantage in that you have a proven record and GPA already, and the colleges really will look at you before they look at the hordes of incoming high school grads.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Choose a college for the academics, not for the martial arts program. Any decent college will offer a martial arts club, or the possibility for you to start your own martial arts club. Or, there will be a dojo in the vicinity. Or you can volunteer as a martial arts instructor at a local school or recreation program.