Home Gym

Mr G

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What do you recommend for training at home. I'm not trying to recreate the Dojong in my basement, but I do want to out work a bit.

So far I've cleared out a 10 by 12 space and carpeted it. Then I hung a 100# heavy bag. I'm considering putting up a big mirror so I can watch my forms.

Thank you for your experienced insight
Forgive me if this is a repeat.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you recommend for training at home. I'm not trying to recreate the Dojong in my basement, but I do want to out work a bit.

So far I've cleared out a 10 by 12 space and carpeted it. Then I hung a 100# heavy bag. I'm considering putting up a big mirror so I can watch my forms.

Thank you for your experienced insight
Forgive me if this is a repeat.

You could get a weight bench and some dumbells and have enough to give yourself a pretty good workout. You could purchase a small universal gym set or something along the lines of a bowflex, although that piece of equipment can get pricey.

There are alot of options out there. It all comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I did - I cleared a space in my basement (due to my basement's shape, it's 11' x 30'), floored it with puzzle mats, put up mirrors (okay, old mirrored closet doors - but they were free!), and, in the winter, ride my bike on a trainer.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Talk to this guy.

Ross Enamait is a fight trainer with some excellent training tips at his two websites (www.rossboxing.com and www.rosstraining.com). Check out the articles and the videos clips, all free online. If you have the money to invest, get or borrow his book, "Never Gymless" for ideas on great workouts with little/no equipment.

tahuti

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many of the weight training routines can be isometeric. That is you push or puill against resistance. You can even use your martial arts belt to do this!

An example is a backfist. Using a pillow, put it against a doorway and press your backfist against the pillow as hard as you can till your muscles fatuge. Do a strait punch the same way. Or a inside chop.

Get your martial arts belt, fold it and grab the ends. Pull as hard as you can till your muscles get tired. Then raise your arms behind your head (belt still in had) and again pull on both ends. Get the belt, fold it once and grab the ends in one hand. Put the loop to the floor and step in it. Now try to pull the ends upward against tension. Again, till your muscles are tired.

There are many ways to do a workout in the garage to build not only muscles but to increase stamina, speed, and coordination. All without any fancy expensive gear.

Deaf

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend you do some reading about different types of strength and different types of resistance training. For instance, Isometrics have their place, but they cannot replace full-range-of-motion exercises, and if you do not couple them with unloaded full motions, your speed might suffer.

A basic weight bench and a set of weights would be a great thing to have, if you do not have acces to a gym. Otherwise, you can collect home-made equipment to do many of the same things. See, for instance, this very helpful thread on another forum, including the additional comments by 'Blessed Samurai'.

Don't forget bodyweight exercises for strength, plyometrics for reactive speed, and Tabata (HIIT) interval training for endurance. (Google bolded terms for more info).

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Uhh, what they all said. The basement training area is definitely a good idea, just make sure that it is not too cluttered. I learned that lesson the hard way and I am still wearing the band aid to show for it. Don't forget about the yard or the garage, either.

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post outside the introductions section-

I currently live in an apartment with a storage space. In my storage space, I have a Wavemaster that I work with on Saturday mornings before class and Sunday mornings after church (weather permitting, obviously). For home, I have-

a treadmill (for cardio and endurance building)

a rebounder (a good one, not one of those cheap mini trampolines that you see at Dick's or SA)

a multi position weight bench with a preacher bench attachment

ez bar, tricep bar, dumbell bars, 6' foot bar, wrist roller (have a total of 15 different exercises divided over 4 different splits)

505# of standard free weight plates

adjustable slant board

double ended speed bag

...all of this stuff take up an amazingly small amount of space

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I did build a workout area (20' x 30') for me...consisting of a Total Gym, Bowflex heavy bag, couple of exercise bikes, treamill & a TV to use with P90X...P90X...great tool...everybody should own it...
The whole place started as a place for me to workout in as I knew I would be leaving my Dojo that I had worked out in for years...Nothing wrong with the instruction but after 30 years it was just time....
Slowly it morphed into a couple of guys from the Dojo coming over to workout a couple of times a week...then my son teaching Kenpo a couple of times a week & now it's home to P90X...which is shared between my son & I and a friend that got me into it...now my wife & one of her friends want to start using the barn for their P90X workout.....
All this said...depending on what you want out of your workouts...for the average MA...here's my recommendation: heavy bag (hanging type I think is better..have both and like the ceiling mount better), padded floor, 50# dumbell set & P90X...I do like the mirror idea also...specially the free one idea....

Latest Discussions