Master's real or fake

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is it that makes a Master a true Master? One that trains five days a week for thirty to forty years or someone that has the stripes on one belt? I mean by some standerds we have Masters that have been this ways since the age of twenty one and our GM by the time they are Thirty five. Are we as a pioneer of TKD letting orgs and strangers make up rules as they go? How can someone be a Master in the Art at a early age?

Now here is the delimma that was presented to me we have Masters in College that are only 26-28 years of age in there respectful fields, so why is Martial Art different from a major University? It is an intriging delimma for some and a easy one for others, looking for answers from those in between.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is a good topic to bring up. Even though my instructor is called "Master", he considers himself a student. I will consider myself a student until the day I am placed in the ground.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess you should go look and see if they're really "worthy" of being called "Master" and/or question yourself as to why it would bother you; but it's based off of your own opinion.

Your comparison between MA schools and University strikes a chord with me. Yes, there are a ton of people out there with Master's degrees and many of them are considered working towards being experts in their field. The same goes with the MAs. On both ends, these folks are considered "Masters" or earned the right to have/be called a "Master" through a set path and curriculum. It doesn't matter if they were the best, but the simple fact that they passed and achieved Master status.

Now is this right with me? Not really, but having such accreditation does have its perks in both the MAs and real world. In many cases, a person fresh out of grad school might have better luck getting a job over a person with 20+ years of experience in the same field with just a Bachelors. It happens all the time, regardless of the eventual effectiveness of the person with Masters status.

Maybe it boils down to the organization and the obvious affection for such credentials in an individual. Wouldn't you want your organization to have more Masters in its stable than the competing org, if you want to survive in a cutthroat business environment?

Yep.

It's like being at a party, and the loudest guy in the room is doing his thing, talking over everyone, swapping stories, etc. It's really up to you if you want to listen to everything he's saying, or just take what you need and move on.

My .02.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really does not brother me, just was brought up and so I passed it on here to see what other thought. To me I am a student working toward death and once there I will be forgotten by all those that once was.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol... for some reason, this post reminds me of those birds that have tons of plumage to attract mates and may or may not be tasty, contrasting with chickens, which are yummy and good on a consistent basis.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
simple test.

Think of who you would go to with a question.

thats an instructor

the person your instructor goes to with a question?

thats a master

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
masters are old, impatient, and cant understand what the hell is wrong with you.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great topic Terry!!!! I am not sure why there is a difference, but the same could be said about the term Dr. I think that if you expect to be called Master, you are possibly not deserving of the title or at least you are to arrogant to warrant being called by it. JMO.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a good topic to bring up. Even though my instructor is called "Master", he considers himself a student. I will consider myself a student until the day I am placed in the ground.

Then maybe, this is the beginnings, of what a true master is.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
simple test.

Think of who you would go to with a question.

thats an instructor

the person your instructor goes to with a question?

thats a master

I think I failed this test.

So if your a white belt and your instructor is a brown belt and his instructor is a 2nd Black...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Master, it could be said, embodies all of the qualities and virtues, generally reserved for that given person, who, by their very nature, has reached a point in their life, where wisdom, and a full understanding, of themselves and their given art, or lot in life, has evolved. Someone who has paid their dues, put forth the effort, has sacrificed, has dedicated themselves to understanding others, in an impartial way. Has risen above all of the pettiness, and shortcomings of life. To this person, I would consider, has mastered life in a very unique way, and in turn, mastered themselves. It takes time to create a master, not everyone can become one, but everyone should strive to work toward that end, and in turn make this world a much better place, for all. :asian::asian:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was an old thread here about thsi topic..Some had no problem calling some who spent 4 years in medical school as Doctor, but had a problem with someone that spent 30-40 years in the MA as Master..

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was an old thread here about thsi topic..Some had no problem calling some who spent 4 years in medical school as Doctor, but had a problem with someone that spent 30-40 years in the MA as Master..
I spent two years in graduate school for a master's degree. Can I call myself 'Master' now? ;) No?

Ok, how about this. In rereading my earlier post (often a humiliating exercise, but try to do it anyway :D) I'm reminded of the number 4-0. Since I'm a 4th degree, I see a correlation! Using the ratio 40 years::4 degrees, it's apparent that I can expect a promotion once every decade. Aha! Now given that I'm currently 57 years old, I calculate I'll be 10th degree by...let's see...lemme just take my shoes off here...117! Woohoo!!! :lol:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sigh..............

Relax...I'm just messin with you.
icon7.gif

Latest Discussions