Testing time

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I have agreed to be tested in the summer for my 5th, I need alot of cardio and poomsae work. they said I would not need to spar but I would like to anyway. I also need to do some kind of breaking which I am fresh out of ideals so will be looking for help there. I have started a three per day workout regime. Which includes proper stance work and cardio as well as lifting and and bag work. Can anybody add anything that I am missing.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, trying to come up with breaks is something I have been thinking about too....

know what i am doing? I am doing the warm up in my classes each day. That ought to be enough to get me back in decent shape, cardio wise, but really, at our age? just do kata

over and over and over

you will get your wind back.

funny we are both having to get ready for tests....

but at least you got some warning....LOL

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The only thing that I can think of is to make sure that you are getting plenty of rest, good food and plenty of hydration. This will allow muscle recovery help keep colds and sickness away. This may sound odd but use off days for mental training. Visulizing a the test and going over things in your head is good training as well.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah, trying to come up with breaks is something I have been thinking about too....

know what i am doing? I am doing the warm up in my classes each day. That ought to be enough to get me back in decent shape, cardio wise, but really, at our age? just do kata

over and over and over

you will get your wind back.

funny we are both having to get ready for tests....

but at least you got some warning....LOL

Yea I have 4 months and it will be at Nationals in July so I have time but still my knees and body needs all the help they can get.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, for cardio, I'd suggest intervals... carefully set up. First week, 15 minutes daily of walk moderate pace (55 seconds)/fast walk (5 seconds). Second week, 15 minutes daily of walk moderate pace (50 seconds)/fast walk (10 seconds). Third week, 15 minutes, 30/30. At that point, switch to a treadmill, and do 55 seconds fairly brisk walk/5 seconds, jog, maybe twice a week (just walk the other days). And so on. If you do it very, very gently, your body will accomodate the increased intensity without objecting too much—it's like with a pulley: the distance you lift over increases a lot, but so does the weight you can lift. With a graduated approach to intensity, it's the same kind of tradeoff: you take longer to hit your stride, but you're able to go a lot harder when you get there.

At the end, if you can do a medium cardo work out maybe twice a week, 50 seconds jog/10 seconds faster-than-jog, and do serious walking workouts at least three other days of the week, you'll be unstoppable come test time.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Weeks 1 and 2

Monday - Wednesday - Friday

Conditioning Attribute ExerciseReps Sets Warm upsEnduranceRun3 miles1Stair sprints3 flights10AgilitySingle leg squats1 minute3Spin and walk110Jump and spin101Backward run25 yards4Shuttle run25 yards3EnduranceHeavy bag1 minute3FlexibilityStretching{Top}
Weeks 1 and 2

Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday

Conditioning Attribute Exercise Reps Sets WarmupsEnduranceJump rope2 minutes3Knee hops25 yards4FlexibilityStretchingSkills Attribute Exercise Reps Sets Slow kicksRH,FK,SK,AX,BK151Focus padsRH,FK,SK,AX,BK151Footwork drillsFront step, Back step1 minute1Front slide, Back slide1 minute1Footwork with kicksFront step: RH; AX151Front slide, RH151Back step, RH151Attack combinationsP,P, RH51RH,AX51

How does this look?

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the intervals. I have two interval workout, a light one and a heavy one. The light one is 3 days a week on a spinning bike (or stationary bike) or a treadmill and it goes like this: Warm up with 5 minute of easy biking or jogging. For each workout, gauge your intensity by estimating your effort on a scale of 1 (sitting on the couch) to 10 (the hardest you can go). Then follow the directions.
Monday and Fiday: Sprint for 15 sec at an intensity of 9; recover for 30 sec at an intensity of 3 to 4. That's one interval
Week 1: Monday=5 intervals/Friday=5 intervals
Week 2: Monday=6 intervals/Friday=5 intervals
Week 3: Monday=6/Friday=6
Week 4: Monday=7/Friday=6
Week 5: Monday=7/Friday=7
Week 6: Monday=8/Friday=7
Week 7: Monday=8/Friday=8
and on Wednesdays cycle or jog continuously for 10 min at an intensity of 6 and then progress from there.
That was the light training, now for the heavier training I just make the intervals longer. 1 min hard/2 min recover, 1:30sec hard/3 min recover, then repeat.
This kind of training will turn nutrients into fuel for your muscles

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Workout looks good, I would focus on increasing the intensity at 2 week intervals vs. increasing duration.

Also, give yourself some time to rest in there. You will need plenty as you work harder.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Workout looks good, I would focus on increasing the intensity at 2 week intervals vs. increasing duration.

Also, give yourself some time to rest in there. You will need plenty as you work harder.

Most true. Ramping up intensity seems to do you much more good than increasingly endurance, in both strenth and cardio capacity, but especially in the latter. Your metabolism goes into overdrive from intervals in a way that it just doesn't from steady plodding at half-speed for increasing lengths of time. When I used to follow such things, I kept seeing articles by different people about experiments which showed that you often get an extra 24 hours or more boost to your metabolism from intervals.

The theory is, the short quick-hit boosts to your speed in the fast interval get your heart rate well up into the fat-burning range, and push out your cardio capacity. When you slow back down, though, your cardio rate still stays high; it falls back to a jogging rate only quite slowly (and this is especially the case for people who are just starting an interval routine). So in effect, your heart thinks you're working it harder than you actually are; it's still running in the fat-burning range even though you've slowed to a jog. Bit by bit it cools off... but then you hit it again with a five-second sprint, and back it goes. And so on. It's kind of like that hoop game that kids used to play back in Tom Sawyer days: once the hoop is rolling, just a light brush with a stick will keep it rolling.

It's not the most pleasant form of exercise, I gotta say. But if you just make up your mind to do it, and stick to it, it gives you fast results. You earn them, no question, but they're real. A good hard interval routine gives you the cardio capacity you need for just about anything.

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My favorite break to watch at testing is a jumping spin back kick so I thought I'd toss that out there. :)

I tend to do a lot of jump rope for cardio intersperced with stair climbers (alternating legs with your palms flat on the ground). Not sure if that helps or not but good luck with the test! Would love to see some pics/video after the fact. :)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats and good luck on the test!

You've already gotten some good ideas.

Are you doing any weightlifting?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All my best, Terry. With the advice given, you don't need my help, but you have my support.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go get 'em. I wish I could be back in Texas to see you guys do your thing. :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go get 'em. I wish I could be back in Texas to see you guys do your thing. :)

I wish you was here to do it for me>>>
icon10.gif

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i wouldnt waste time lifting weights

thats for a normal work out

for a belt test, it wont help

stick to short burst cardio, and flexibility.

thats all you need for a Dan test dude.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i wouldnt waste time lifting weights

thats for a normal work out

for a belt test, it wont help

stick to short burst cardio, and flexibility.

thats all you need for a Dan test dude.

I included the wieghts back a monthor so ago when I was getting into shape, so the wieghts are more for me than the test.