Master

T

theneuhauser

I was just wondering how you all use the term "master" and what you think of it's use.
Personally, i think its innappropriate.

The term master should be reserved for only a very select few individuals out there. I wouldn't and don't use it loosely whatsoever. It'll be interesting to see what others think.

I agree jfarnsworth I think that there are very few people deserving of the title Master. For it is a personal belief that you can always improve.

I would use it to describe certain individuals. For example, I would say that Larry Tatum is a master of Kenpo. However, I would not address anyone as "master." I will say "yes, sir" and I address my instructors by "Mr. (lastname)"

You can be a master of an art, but you cannot be a master of another person, so I will never say "yes, master" to a martial arts instructor.

I also agree with the fact that "master" should be reserved for only a select few. And I would have to see it to believe it too.

Originally posted by nightingale8472
I would use it to describe certain individuals. For example, I would say that Larry Tatum is a master of Kenpo. However, I would not address anyone as "master." I will say "yes, sir" and I address my instructors by "Mr. (lastname)"

You can be a master of an art, but you cannot be a master of another person, so I will never say "yes, master" to a martial arts instructor.

I agree. In judo we don't address anyone as Master. We use Mr. or Mrs. or Sensei or Sir or depending on the teacher, and the age of the student, Jan , Frank or Dave.

Peace
Dennis

A first-degree black belt in TKD signifies that the holder of such rank is accomplished enough in the basics to begin serious training. Even second- and third-degree black belts signify only levels of skill in advanced training, not mastery.
In Korea, you must possess a fourth-degree black belt to be considered an instructor, and you must have a fifth-degree black belt to be considered a master instructor in most American schools its 4th degree to be considered Master .... all it means is the instructor has "mastered" the style. Declared master status represents no elevation to demigod status. It does not mean learning stops. Masters are qualified to represent the style,..... to teach it without limit, speak for it, and guide their own personal training in directions they wish to go. The use of the title "Master" is merely a formality..."Sir" Ma,am" or "Sah Bum Nihm" is used for ordinary interaction. (that is in TKD .... most styles classify ranks differently)
There is alot of confusion with the use of titles within the martial arts community. Each martial art and organization uses titles in a different manner, and usually a committee/union has establishes a policy for the use of titles within their organization to provide for their consistent use. The policy is consistent with the use within the traditional international martial arts community, but many of these unions and organizations/federations take it upon themselves to modify and include other titles where appropriate

I don't believe anyone should call themselves 'master', as in "How do you do, I'm Master So-and-so". It's an honorific bestowed onto you by others, not by yourself.

Cthulhu

When I was in TSD, my instructor was/is a 4th Dan, which is "master" level. But he wouldn't let anyone call him Master. B. He would always introduce himself has Mr. B. I called him "master" one day, and he gave me a "look" and said "Mr is fine." I agreed.

As a student of TKD myself, my instructor is Master Taylor. People seem to have this notion about the title. It's not his status as his person, it's his rank, and a sign of honor. He doesn't force it on anyone, if you chose not to, then you don't have to, Mister Taylor is fine. A master who FORCES students to call him "Master" definantly is not deserving of the rank. Again, it's rank and in this case earned. I have no problem calling him "Master Taylor'. At fifth dan he is a "Master Instructor" hence the title. We dont' call our first and second dans "Master." Who knows, maybe it's a Korean thing. I know in Judo we have no "Master" Ranks, simply Sensei, or teacher. That's fine with me too. I am a student and will conduct my self as such. (Interesting side not, I'm just a Kyu in Judo. I'm not officialy a student until I reach my first dan rank. Then I'm serious enough to become a student. So I'm training right now to BE a student. I think that's pretty cool, keeps us Kyu's in our place. They say "Know one knows more then a green belt", but I still have much to learn)
Just my $0.02
"Kenpo Gear-Show Some Respect"

A select few are masters

But nobody has mastered anything, including the art

So does that mean I have to change my name? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Master of Blades
So does that mean I have to change my name? :rolleyes:

Yeah to just blades!:rofl: Have you been reading the other thread on master arts??

I was in a class once where the instructor had/has the title of Master. I called him Mr "Smith". The rest of the students were concerned I was showing disrespect to the instructor. The Instructor had no problem with sir or Mr. "Smith".

I also had an instructor in college, that was working on his PHD. He inssited that all the students call him Dr. "Smith". I knew he was not a PHD and called him Mr. "Smith". I did have some problems with him and the subjective protions of the class for grading. I just asked him if he would mind if I asked the Chairman of the department to review my papers and tests and see what grade(s) I would receive then.

So there are A$$-holes in anyting you do out there.

Train Well

I recently went to a friends dojo to watch him practice before going to his house to hang out. He and the rest of the class called their instructor Master. I didn't find this odd, it was just what they chose to call him. But then later on my friend said "Mr. Smith could you help me with this kick" and he was yelled at. I found this to be out of line, especially since he is only a white belt. What do you all think?

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Yeah to just blades!:rofl: Have you been reading the other thread on master arts??

Yeah I have.......But I think everyone is just repeating themselves so Im not bothered to get involved :shrug:

On another note, Blades aint bad for a nickname.....But Master of Blades is just too damn cool. And M.O.B is a heck of a nickname :rolleyes:

The more I think about it I do not think that anyone is deserving of the title Master. You can always improve.

for myslef I address the head of my system as Master to show respect for the mastery of the system he has and has been willing to share.
My student and I have an agreement they will not address me as master, sensie, or any title other than Leopard. If they do they do 100,200,400,800 pushups or situp depending on my mood and if someone has screwed up befor durring the day.
The day I use the term for myslf I will be long gone from this earth and then there will be someone/thing much more powerful and knowledgeable than me that deserves the title.

the idea for this post had been an ongoing issue for me for years. it was due to the use of the term "sifu" in chinese disciplines. i was told that sifu means "master" in english, and in kung fu movies, the dubbing or the subtitles would use the english term master as well, so i refused to call anyone sifu. why would i call anybody my master? especially someone who i pay training fees to? more recently however, i began studying the chinese language, and was surprised to find out that sifu is a term that one uses to acknowledge somebody's high level of skill, such as a master technician here in the states. now i feel silly for being bullheaded about the issue, it was really just my own ignorance.

Originally posted by SRyuFighter
The more I think about it I do not think that anyone is deserving of the title Master. You can always improve.

The more of this thread I read the more Im annoyed about my name :shrug:

Latest Discussions

Back