martial arts taught in public schools

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The nerd inside you is showing. The best way to be proficient in any physical activity is conditioning. And all the above activities, including being chewed out by a caring coach should still be included in a good martial art program

Why "nerd"? I know plenty of "nerds" who are in great shape, and plenty of "athletes" who only have the ability to perform within a limited range of activities - that is, those specific to their sport. Is conditioning important? Certainly. But while I have been encouraged and guided by caring coaches, I have never been chewed out by one - only by coaches who cared more about the performance of the team in the upcoming competition than they did about the health and well-being of the athletes.

In addition, this thread is about the possibility of martial arts being taught in school - and as a school teacher and martial arts instructor, I can say that I get much better results, in both environments, as a supportive coach with high expectations than I do "chewing people out".

Latest Discussions