Martial arts in High School?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
47MartialMan said:
Hey, i am not knocking those that charge or pay for it...but I had always believed that it should be available to anyone, not a pocket book
Oh no, I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking those that charge, If I came across that way, I'm sorry. It's just that in our materialistic society, it's good to see when someone would be willing to put it aside and do the greater good, and try to make a difference. I look at this state of a martial artist as being the zen stage, after one has progressed through the physical, and mental. This stage seems to be reserved for one's children, or for those that have become close, touching them deeply.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
I was thinking recently how cool it would be if US high schools would make a martial art an option in the curriculum, like in place of Gym class. Perhaps something like Tai Chi. This doesn't seem like a realistic idea but it does raise some interesting questions. How do you think it could be made to work? And, what specific martial art do you think would be best suited for a high school curriculum? Do you think it would cause frequent deadly fights among students, or would it make relaxed, mentally strong and disciplined students?
Maybe it would need some star power to make a go of it, like Chuck Norris has done. If we could get a group of them to agressively go out, to their affiliates, and school systems, just maybe................................!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know, the martial arts have been around long enough that they have become familiar enough to those that have the power to make the decisions. Chances are members of their family, or, they, themselves have sudied or at least dabbled in the arts. I would think that some of the older stars have established themselves enough that money shouldn't be an issue. I would think they would be willing to work together for the good of the kids. They became as succesful as they are partly because of their ability to sell the product, so to speak. So, I think that would clear up the misconceptions, and red tape problems. Politicians are always willing to be linked to something that is good, and something to save the kids would have a good light to it, plus it gets them off the streets, and out of trouble (or out of their hair). I think, with the right people, and the right packaging, and an honest effort, it could work, if, even in a small manner. A little is better than nothing at all.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They became as succesful as they are partly because of their ability to sell the product, so to speak. So, I think that would clear up the misconceptions, and red tape problems.
Not really, money isnt going to do it. When people (outside) look at the specticle for example, of UFC, then there will be continuous false misconceptions. Think of it, although UFC is appealing to other martial artists and people whom love contact combat (like boxing), a school system is not going to be ready to embrace it.

Politicians are always willing to be linked to something that is good, and something to save the kids would have a good light to it, plus it gets them off the streets, and out of trouble (or out of their hair).
You can do this with public recreational programs. Less having to worry about a kid getting a black eye from being punched or kicked.

I think, with the right people, and the right packaging, and an honest effort, it could work, if, even in a small manner. A little is better than nothing at all.
I agree, it will take a school system somewhere (US) to do it first hand.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I said, the stars that I was referring to don't need the money, as they are already well established--like Chuck Norris for instance, who has a this in school systems already. As far as the UFC stuff, I love it also, but, that definitely wouldn't fly, as far as being the system of choice to be used--Too Violent! I was thinking more along the lines of Traditional systems, those would be the safe bet- not violent, and explosive enough to keep the interest of the students. Besides, there is a precednt already that could be used in dealing with the politicians, although, it would be sketchy. Boxing was part of gym class curriculum in the past, karate is less violent than that, and it's qualities one can gain from training, respect, confidence, etc.. is better than black eyes. I don't think public recreational programs is the same thing they are used after school, we're talking about in school, and Basketball or whatever, doesn't equal martial art benefits. I really do think it could fly, it's definitely worth a shot! If we could only get martial artists themselves, to stop arguing, and come together for their own kids benefit, as well as other kids, than we would have a strong foundation to stand on. I think it is something that we all could do, some of us do it already, alone. Together, we would get a hell of a lot more done. Let's go for it!!!!!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
As I said, the stars that I was referring to don't need the money, as they are already well established--like Chuck Norris for instance, who has a this in school systems already. As far as the UFC stuff, I love it also, but, that definitely wouldn't fly, as far as being the system of choice to be used--Too Violent! I was thinking more along the lines of Traditional systems, those would be the safe bet- not violent, and explosive enough to keep the interest of the students. Besides, there is a precednt already that could be used in dealing with the politicians, although, it would be sketchy. Boxing was part of gym class curriculum in the past, karate is less violent than that, and it's qualities one can gain from training, respect, confidence, etc.. is better than black eyes. I don't think public recreational programs is the same thing they are used after school, we're talking about in school, and Basketball or whatever, doesn't equal martial art benefits. I really do think it could fly, it's definitely worth a shot! If we could only get martial artists themselves, to stop arguing, and come together for their own kids benefit, as well as other kids, than we would have a strong foundation to stand on. I think it is something that we all could do, some of us do it already, alone. Together, we would get a hell of a lot more done. Let's go for it!!!!!

I agree!! While it may be different to some extent, I have seen many city/town rec. depts. offer a MA class, and have never heard of any problems or serious injuries. It would be another alternative for kids who may not be interested in the other sports that the school offers, so the MA would give them another option.

Mike

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
I agree!! While it may be different to some extent, I have seen many city/town rec. depts. offer a MA class, and have never heard of any problems or serious injuries. It would be another alternative for kids who may not be interested in the other sports that the school offers, so the MA would give them another option.

Mike
That's right!

I work a lot around the school age kids, and beleive me the martial arts does get their attention. They aways remark how they would like to kick ***, etc..That at least is a starting point, once they're in you can mold them correctly. Eveyone that I was around in the arts wanted to be like Bruce Lee (I guess that shows my age--lol), or those kung fu theater movies. The kids today love Jet Li, as they refer to him as a "nasty cat". I think even the hard core kids' attention would peak.

S

Silo-Fu Kung-Fu

For the past 4 years I have been teaching Kung-fu and Tai-chi in Jr high and Sr high schools with a great deal of success.

One of my Jr high students (thats now graduating Grade 12) is a 2 time world Champ (under 18 female black sash, hand & weapon forms).
We have found that a Martial arts program taught as a seperate course in the Phys ed program or as an option class, Generated a great deal of positive results.
Over all marks have improved with the martial arts students by an average of 10 percent, the number of violent incedents have dropped drasically, over all respect not just for the school and staff but more importantly for the students themselfs has increased drastically.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Silo-Fu Kung-Fu said:
For the past 4 years I have been teaching Kung-fu and Tai-chi in Jr high and Sr high schools with a great deal of success.

One of my Jr high students (thats now graduating Grade 12) is a 2 time world Champ (under 18 female black sash, hand & weapon forms).
We have found that a Martial arts program taught as a seperate course in the Phys ed program or as an option class, Generated a great deal of positive results.
Over all marks have improved with the martial arts students by an average of 10 percent, the number of violent incedents have dropped drasically, over all respect not just for the school and staff but more importantly for the students themselfs has increased drastically.
I started this post thinking that it was a genuine idea. I am both humbled and thrilled to find it's already in place in a few select schools. I admire you and people like you, and your contribution to society.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I wasnt applying that UFC type be used in schools. I was applying that to those non-martial artists, i.e. school board officials, if any had a glimpse of UFC, will cause them to false misconceptions. Boxing was accepted back then, but is now mostly casted out. It was accepted back then because pther P.E. activities were not in existant or too costly to start.

Although many Universitys allow many martial arts because students are adults.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I wasnt applying that UFC type be used in schools. I was applying that to those non-martial artists, i.e. school board officials, if any had a glimpse of UFC, will cause them to false misconceptions. Boxing was accepted back then, but is now mostly casted out. It was accepted back then because pther P.E. activities were not in existant or too costly to start.

Although many Universitys allow many martial arts because students are adults.
I get what you are saying, and you're right, stuff like the UFC, would cause a negative image to those that link that as the face of the martial arts. But, the comparison of that with, say, the traditional systems, is really night and day. I do think, and would bet on, that some of their grand kids, or children do one of those systems already, and that is what would be the image received. Hey, it's worth a shot, if it doesn't work we're no worse off than what exists now! If an attempt is succesful, think of the results!

I

Infrazael

School would never teach my style, let alone most other styles.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Schools tend to be leery of outsiders coming in to teach. Any new sport or activity introduced to the curriculum has a better chance of being accepted from within-introduced and taught by a respected faculty member.
Having said that, there are some things that probably would not fly:
1. UFC or anything like that. Not a chance. Too violent, perception of being the domain of thugs.
2. Anything with "Combat" in the title. See above.

Your best bet is probably a traditional martial art. Remember, parents are not sending their kids to school to train to be warriors or fighters. They are going to want, if they want at all, a martial art that will help them become better students and people.
Remember, many people, especially parents who make up PTA boards, are going to have negative perceptions about martial arts because of what they see on TV and the movies. You may go in there with the best of intentions, but you still have to overcome that.
Also, with many school systems strapped for cash, the necessary gear for martial arts is going to be seen by many as a luxury they can live without.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess it would stabd a better chance if the School Board Superintendent, a few Principals, and Teachers, plus the PTA had some practices or experience in martial arts, it can fly.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I still feel that it would work, but some research definately needs to be done. Like MTKD said, a TMA is probably the best choice, as I doubt a parent would want their child training for the next MMA event. As for the gear...used gear from MA schools can be donated, as well as having fundraisers to help with the cost. They do it all the time for school trips, so this would be no different.

Mike

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is about false misconceptions/interpretations/sterotyping. These are strong and will not change, until the school system finally "rotates" these old "die hards"

Latest Discussions