Edith Garrud: a public vote for the suffragette who taught martial arts

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought this was neat:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/25/edith-garrud-suffragette-martial-arts

Edith Garrud: a public vote for the suffragette who taught martial arts
The woman who introduced jujutsu to the suffragette cause is honoured with a plaque on her London house
The horrors of forcible feeding endured by imprisoned suffragettes on hunger strike are relatively well known; the image of rubber tubes being rammed down women's throats as they were held or tied down is a hard one to shake. Less widely documented have been the efforts made to protect the movement's leaders from arrest in the first place: of the 30-strong elite "bodyguard" trained to resist the police using the martial art jujutsu, and of the woman who taught them – Edith Garrud. But this Saturday, Islington council will unveil a People's Plaque, voted for by residents, at the house where this little-known suffragette lived in Thornhill Square, London.

One of the western world's first female martial arts instructors, Garrud, who died in 1971 aged 99, is thought to have learned jujutsu in the late 19th century. She began working with suffragettes between 1908 and 1911, eventually at her own women-only training hall, a room at the Palladium Academy dance school in Argyll Street.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder if she knew Mrs. Banks? :hmm:

Devon

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, that I did not know, awesome news about the sculpture and the graphic novel could be interesting.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
well if she did not know Mrs. Banks, perhaps she knew Mary Poppins? :hmm: Either way its cool !

And Jujitsu and Bartjitsu were both very popular at that time