Martial arts in High School?

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking recently how cool it would be if US high schools would make a martial art an option in the curriculum, like in place of Gym class. Perhaps something like Tai Chi. This doesn't seem like a realistic idea but it does raise some interesting questions. How do you think it could be made to work? And, what specific martial art do you think would be best suited for a high school curriculum? Do you think it would cause frequent deadly fights among students, or would it make relaxed, mentally strong and disciplined students?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I think it would be great if it was put in, but, as part of gym, rather than in place of it. I also think That it would get a bunch of kids attention or willing to try it, I do see that appeal among the kids, in my dealings with them. However, I think Tai Chi would be too slow, or "boring" for them, they would need something explosive, fast, and yes--destructive (as that is what appeals to youngsters-Brute force). People that do have it in the schools, from what I read about, actually don't have frequent fights. As many that could be reached, the better. Every one is one less for the "dark side".

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tai-Chi would have been blessing for us, they made us take square dancing...Ahhhhggggg!!!!

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I think it would be great if it was put in, but, as part of gym, rather than in place of it. I also think That it would get a bunch of kids attention or willing to try it, I do see that appeal among the kids, in my dealings with them. However, I think Tai Chi would be too slow, or "boring" for them, they would need something explosive, fast, and yes--destructive (as that is what appeals to youngsters-Brute force). People that do have it in the schools, from what I read about, actually don't have frequent fights. As many that could be reached, the better. Every one is one less for the "dark side".
LOL, good point. But how do you get a wrist breaking, rib cracking, external martial art past the PTA?

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
Tai-Chi would have been blessing for us, they made us take square dancing...Ahhhhggggg!!!!
Square dancing.. Now if anything will make me want to be violent, that would be it.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You sell them the commercialized argument of the self control, confidence, etc.. Besides, some of them will have youngsters already doing it or they themselves doing it and would stick up for it. The actual students get sold the destructive parts ( to get the attention) and once in get "molded" the right way, with the good points thrown in here and there, but, enough to get their attention. You'd also need Good teachers that can perform great, as well as teach great.

JUST GET THEM IN!!

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's already started.

This is one reason why I have a lot of time for Chuck Norris.

Try petitioning your school principal to start this program in your school. I wish we had something like this in Australia.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it would be a great idea! It would break up the usual routine of activities that they have. As for the fighting...hopefully it would show people more self control, but keep in mind that if its part of the school curriculum, if they fought, they would fail the class. Another alternative to a suspension.

Mike

I

Isrephael

The Japanese have been doing Kendo and Judo in schools for years and years. My alma mater does western Fencing and Wrestling, and used to do Boxing. And, so, we have five martial art sports that are practiced every day in schools all over the world.

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Isrephael said:
The Japanese have been doing Kendo and Judo in schools for years and years. My alma mater does western Fencing and Wrestling, and used to do Boxing. And, so, we have five martial art sports that are practiced every day in schools all over the world.
Great point! I work for the NYC public school system in the Drug Prevention Program. Every summer we have a Peer Leadership Academy in which students are taught the qualities of a leader and are allowed to register for several workshops that they attend throughout the program.

One of the workshops offered is Martial Arts. My co-worker is a Jiujitsu instructor and he taught the kids a kata, while I taught them some basic self-defense techniques. At the end of the summer, the program put on a show for the families and the crowd went nuts watching the kids perform the kata to music.

It was easily the most popular workshop of the program and the most popular part of the show. In fact, my co-worker was asked to start an after-school program at his school and has several children involved now. (I just don't have the time to do it due to my other responsibilities.)

The obstacles are similar to other sports. You have to make sure you dot your "i's" and cross your "t's" so legally it doesn't come back to haunt you.

Vic www.combatartsusa.com

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
I was thinking recently how cool it would be if US high schools would make a martial art an option in the curriculum, like in place of Gym class. Perhaps something like Tai Chi. This doesn't seem like a realistic idea but it does raise some interesting questions. How do you think it could be made to work? And, what specific martial art do you think would be best suited for a high school curriculum? Do you think it would cause frequent deadly fights among students, or would it make relaxed, mentally strong and disciplined students?
Boxing use to be part of gym class way back when. In Japan, Kendo, judo, Karate are standard sport options for Modified/JV/Varsity level sports just like football, wrestling and such are here in the states.

I think it would be cool but it might be more realistic to try and incorporate 'Eastern Philosophical' ideas into the western coach mentallity. I really like a books called the "Tao of Sports" and "Thinking Body, Dancing Mind" for different ways to instruct players/athletes to view themselves, the team and the sport they are invovled in.

THere is too much stigma and misconception around MA currently for it to work in schools: It also creates some complications about instructor qualitification and such with State Licensing for teachers in Public schools.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is too much stigma and misconception around MA currently for it to work in schools: It also creates some complications about instructor qualitification and such with State Licensing for teachers in Public schools.__________________

How true.....

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
There is too much stigma and misconception around MA currently for it to work in schools: It also creates some complications about instructor qualitification and such with State Licensing for teachers in Public schools.__________________

How true.....
That is sad, and while the adults quibble, as usual, the kids will not benefit, as usual. Maybe we have to circumvent the "system" and go out a recruit kids into our dojos, as you see them in the neighborhoods, hanging around, doing nothing. Plus, getting to know them, if your attempt fails, will probably help you or loved ones from being preyed upon in the future.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
.............go out a recruit kids into our dojos, as you see them in the neighborhoods, hanging around, doing nothing. Plus, getting to know them, if your attempt fails, will probably help you or loved ones from being preyed upon in the future.
I have been doing this for over 30 years....
I am in two mentorship programs.........
I have watched my "kids" grow and mature.....
Only two, out of the hundreds, are incarcerated.......
The rest are good citizens.......
Many are in the military..........
Others call me every ThnaksGiving/Christmas...
Others, I often see in a Walmart or somewhere I least expect them.....

The cost.....I had not charged "these kids".......
The return....best feeling in the world.........

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I have been doing this for over 30 years....
I am in two mentorship programs.........
I have watched my "kids" grow and mature.....
Only two, out of the hundreds, are incarcerated.......
The rest are good citizens.......
Many are in the military..........
Others call me every ThnaksGiving/Christmas...
Others, I often see in a Walmart or somewhere I least expect them.....

The cost.....I had not charged "these kids".......
The return....best feeling in the world.........
God Bess You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have my own dojo, but, I try to do what I can as well. Keep It Up, and pass it on.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
My daughter, 1st dan, did co-ed kickboxing classes at the high school. Mostly just basic kicks and punches, pushups, etc. Alot of groaning at first, but she said they started getting into it toward the end of the quarter. So she was asked to do it again. But full-blown with sparring, would be a harder sell. They, admin, say it is too violent. Actually no violence from our students. We do demos for the elementary after school clubs and get sign-ups from that. Our master also does a freebie class for teens in trouble. They pass his 6 mo. course, then they get credit to be able to do something else, like go back to alternative school. Part of playing by the rules. Great job, 47MartialMan, keep it up! TW

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see it as a extra disciplinary method, provided the right instructor.
Heck, I was forced into martial arts because I had a behavior problem when I was 10.

FTR (for The Record), I am not "tooting my horn". I had not paid once cent to ANY of my instructors, in teens-adult years, including my TKD and KKW. So I wanted to return the grace.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Yeah, I can see it as a extra disciplinary method, provided the right instructor.
Heck, I was forced into martial arts because I had a behavior problem when I was 10.

FTR (for The Record), I am not "tooting my horn". I had not paid once cent to ANY of my instructors, in teens-adult years, including my TKD and KKW. So I wanted to return the grace.
That is what it is all about, well done! Some go through their entire life never to get it, seeing the look on their faces and feeling that priceless, unable to put into words feeling you get.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey, i am not knocking those that charge or pay for it...but I had always believed that it should be available to anyone, not a pocket book

Latest Discussions