Martial Arts Experience

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have trained in;

Judo - no rank

WTF TKD - yellow belt ( I actually trained for 4 years but never graded, because I was training with blackbelts, and didn't see the need to grade.)

Tracy Kenpo
Ed Parkers Kenpo - For about 6 years in total.

Ryukyu Kempo - About 3 years so far. I have found what I was looking for!

--Dave:karate: :samurai: :ninja::asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser
Sikaran
No I ws not taught that it was a kicking art only.
Kicking has a larger part than in many styles but I was instructed in the use of the hands as well. The most noteable thing is most likely the areas of attack.

I had understood that sipa and sikaran referred to kicking systems. I learned a bit about them from Ric Jornales. Could you post a bit more about Sikaran in the FMA forum?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry abut the spelling in the last post my cat wanted to type and press send befor I could correct the message.
Willpost of FMA tomorrow.
Check out www.Sikaran.com

My spelling s bad enough without my cats help
Shadow

OP
C

Chiduce

Basic Kung Fu, 24 yrs Combat Karate, 22yrs Clandestine Combatives, 17 yrs Combat Judo, 18 Months Matsumura Shorin-Ryu Karate-do, 18 Months Qi Gong 4 yrs Dragon Kenpo Karate 3yrs Kenpo Karate, 2yrs =24 yrs of learning the Martial Way Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
W

white dragon

I've been doing Taekwondo for just over a year (WTF) and have a green belt.

I've done a TINY amount of JKD too, but not enough to worth noting.

warder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Currently Im studying Taekwondo, and have been for a little over a year. I also just started training in BJJ around 2 months ago. Prior to this i started Shaolin Kung Fu for around 6 years, till my instructor ran off with a girl he met, and shut down on us practicaly over night. I took akido for less than 1 year. Throughout all this ive continued to study Chin-Na, wich i started at mu kung fu school, and is taught at my Tae Kwon do school. Thats it in a nutshell for me. In all, Ive been studying and training in martial arts for over 7 years.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by warder
Throughout all this ive continued to study Chin-Na, wich i started at mu kung fu school, and is taught at my Tae Kwon do school.

I thought Chin-Na was taught within some other art--do you mean to say that you study it on its own?

(It's probably best to start a new thread for this in the Chinese martial arts forum.)

warder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I didnt know where to post my response it appropietly, so ill just continue here. Chin-na is taught within alot of different schools, and with alot of martial arts. that is because it has some very practicle applications, and the techniques range from being very simple to fairly complicated. Both schools I trained at taught it as part of their cirriculum along with the specific discipline of the school. For self defense applications it is very practical. On my own i have continued to train on the techniques I learned from my first school, along with what im learning now at my TKD class.
my first techer would learn it from Dr Jwing-Ming Yang out of boston. Ive always learned that he is one of the foremost experts on chin-na. He conducts regular seminars at his school in boston. ive never attended as of yet, but im planning on going this summer. http://www.ymaa.com/schoseminars.html
that is the link to his schools seminar classes.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by warder
I didnt know where to post my response it appropietly, so ill just continue here. Chin-na is taught within alot of different schools, and with alot of martial arts. that is because it has some very practicle applications, and the techniques range from being very simple to fairly complicated. Both schools I trained at taught it as part of their cirriculum along with the specific discipline of the school. For self defense applications it is very practical. On my own i have continued to train on the techniques I learned from my first school, along with what im learning now at my TKD class.
my first techer would learn it from Dr Jwing-Ming Yang out of boston. Ive always learned that he is one of the foremost experts on chin-na. He conducts regular seminars at his school in boston. ive never attended as of yet, but im planning on going this summer. http://www.ymaa.com/schoseminars.html
that is the link to his schools seminar classes.

I did see that you mentioned beginning your chin-na training at some kung fu school.

Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang appears to be one of the authorities of chin-na in the U.S./North America, and has authored quite a few well-recieved books on the subject. If I were in your position, I would definitely check out one of his seminars.

Cthulhu

warder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I really hope i have the time to. It is alot of fun to learn, and very effective when used properly.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Different styles of Aikido: Kubiyashi & Nishio (This one I''m into now) about 5 - 6 years, split in 2.
Jujitsu : Nearly 20 years, also split between Norway and Denmark.
Karate: split between shorinryu and Kyokushinkai(sp?) about 5 years(2½ years each).
Modern Arnis: 6 Years, and hoping to take it up a bit again.

There's alot of stuff I've just tried, at different camps and dojo's when I'm out travelling.

But like most, the more I learn the more I find out how deep some styles are, and how difficult some things REALLY are. But thats another thread.

/Yari

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
sorry iam late on this topic here it goes.

1983-present Ed Parker's Kenpo(4th black)

larry hartsell's jkd version since 1995 authorized instructor under paul irish(full instructor)

Remy Presas Arnis since about 95 or 96 under Datu Hartman

and currently training systema under Vladimir Vasiliev

influences
Tim Hartman Arnis
Paul Irish jkd
Most top Kenpo people like trejo,huk,etc.. but i have not gotten to meet larry tatum yet but i hope to his tapes have definitley influeneced me.
Dr. Gyi Bando
Brandon Sigethy (friend of my who taught me to grapple bjj machado way) and if i forgot anybody sorry i'm tired right now.
later
jay

OP
G

GouRonin

That's because she's one tough lady!

To have to deal with you growing up she probably had to be. I bet she's now a candidate for sainthood.

:rolleyes:

OP
D

disciple

Sorry that I am late in this...I just joined this forum

I had about a year of white crane gong fu, and a year of traditional Yang style Taijiquan. My taiji master, though, came from Taiwan so I guess she taught me the Taiwanese version of it (108). :confused: Because I am now in CA, and currently learning again traditional Yang style (88), also Chen style, and Shaolin Chang Quan from my master who is from China.

OP
D

disciple

Sorry arnisador, but I dont know what should I talk about the style so I am not going to start a new thread. :shrug:
I think the style is not as famous in the US as it is in East Asia. I learned this style a couple of years ago in Indonesia. And I think this is not the original Fukien White Crane Gong Fu as it has been mixed up with silat, although most of the forms are still original (I think) with chinese name.
Here is the url: http://www.silat-white-crane.de/index.htm

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Brand new student to American Kenpo. Right at 4 months old in the martial arts.

I must say I enjoy it immensely. I have always felt better about being part of a team when competing. I am now finding I much more enjoy individual competitions. There is not anyone else to blame if one does not compete at the top level. It falls back onto the individual.

:asian:

JD_Nelson

Latest Discussions