Martial Arts and CPR/AED/First Aid

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as liability, Ohio has a good samaritan law, IE: if you`re not a liscanced doctor or nurse and you stop to help because there`s no one else to do so you can`t be sued for screwing up. Better to try to help and break a rib doing CPR than to do nothing and watch someone die.

In Ohio, perhaps. In other states, the good samaritan law applies only to first responders, not lay people.

Statistics show that CPR performed by lay people is usually ineffective.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it a skill that people should have? Yep. But, it should be up to the individual that wants to learn it. Since getting CPR/AED certified is a very short process, why not offer it as an optional service for/through your dojo or sponsor a class to be set up through an agency?

Just like with carrying a gun, you need to know how to use the tool and also more importantly have the mindset to use the tool. Some people just may not be able to handle doing cpr on someone.

OP
I

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good point Chinto, of course that's coming from an EMT's point, not necessarily a sumaritan. I too are a current EMT.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was a requirement to have First Aid/CPR training before grading for Black Belt because most of them who want to get to Black Belt want to be instructors, judge at tournaments or maybe promote/host tournaments and host seminars. However, I never obtained First Aid/CPR certificate and I teach classes. I don't consider it a requirement, but a recommendation. I felt it would be good to have one since there can be various health problems and limitations in students.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an old saying "If you can take a life, you can save a life."

Should all Martial Art students, instructors, and personnel be required to take a CPR/AED/First Aid class? Even beginning students, for the sold purpose of having cross training in potential lifesaving techniques?

It is a good idea for everyone to take these courses. In line with the thread, I would consider it essential if not required for an instructor to have taken these courses due to the nature of training. And it wouldn't be a stretch to have it offered occassionally in the Dojo/Dojang for students as well. Though they aren't cheap, any school would be well served having an AED.

From a self-defense/legal standpoint, it would go a long way in a court of law to be able to demonstrate how 'well-rounded' you are. In otherwords, a shark attorney 'may' try to paint you as a Rambo wanna-be or Ninja death assassin because you train in the arts (assuming a self defense altercation has landed you in court, either criminal or civil tort). It would be nice to counter any training with the life-saving courses you've invested your time in as well. Not saying that an attorney would go this route, or that it would be successful. But I've seen some mighty strange things in court. As an example, I've been in over 200 uses-of-force on duty including four deadly force situations BUT I also have documented twelve situations in which I've saved a life. On top of this I'm a CPR and First Responder instructor. My 'record' shows a balance in training so-to-speak. I've been on a witness stand more than once so wanted to toss this out for consideration.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good point Chinto, of course that's coming from an EMT's point, not necessarily a sumaritan. I too are a current EMT.

ahh that is the problem, I am not currently an EMT. so hence the legal hole! If I was currently one and treated to the standered of care i would be ok.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think it should be a requirement for students, but it's a darn good idea for advanced students if it's easily available to your dojo. For instructors, especially if the instructor is the sole person in charge on any given night, I think it's important.

As far as liability goes, screw it, do the right thing and get a lawyer. The day I worry about liability when I'm trying to help a person in need is the day I hang it up.

Latest Discussions