First Aid/CPR

are your instructors certified in First Aid/CPR?

• Yes, they have professional level certification.

• Yes, they have community level certification.

• Yes, but I don't know what kind of certification.

• No, they're not certified, but I think they should be.

• No, they're not certified, but I don't think it matters.

• Um... I think they're certified.

• Um... I think they're probably not certified.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your school are you (if you are the instructor) or your teachers required to be certified in First Aid and CPR?

If so, do they have just the community level certification (three hour class or so) or the professional level (two days long)?

If they're not certified, do you think they should be?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of the last time I was at my school, nobody was certified. Do I think that everybody should be? Yes. You never know when someone might get injured in the class, and if you have the knowledge to attend to the injury, you might prevent further damage. Anything that you can do prior to the arrival of professionals might give that person that much more of a chance, depending on whats wrong with them.

Mike

A

A.R.K.

I am a CPR/BLS Instructor for our agency so one carried over to the other. DAC is also active duty so he has an agency certification and Disco is retired so he has had the same. So thankfully we're covered in this important area.

I think it would be a very good idea for every school to have the instructors certified in CPR and BLS. And although very expensive currently, the portable defib units are also an extremely important item to have or to have access too. They can really make the difference between life and death and I would encourage everyone to become familar with them. Many stores and malls are now carrying them as well as larger public gatherings and they are simple to operate.

Remember, even when CPR is done perfectly, only 25% of the needed oxygen is being pumped to the brain and body. It is a help to be sure, but the defib can really make a difference.

Good post.

:asian:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not believe my instructor is CPR certified. He is former Infantry, however, so I know he KNOWS CPR. I also believe his wife has certification, and a couple students including myself are.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I am certified in First Aid, CPR, and PDT (Prevention of Disease Transmission), I am also a former EMT, and was trained in BLS and ALS in the Coast Guard. Stick Dummy is a certified instructor of most of the classes the Red Cross offers. He also has real world experience. Tess is a former nurse. I like to think we have the bases covered. We're also 1 mile from the Fire Depratment/Ambulance Squad.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been certified in CPR and Advanced First Aid for decades. I let this slip within the past couple of years and need to remedy it. This is a good reminder.

I have an instructor who is a full time ER nurse, then a couple of Brown Belts. I will try to get this set up within the next couple of months. (Between Camps, Seminars, and such.) Any volunteers to teach????

-MB

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our head Instructor is both CPR/BLS certified on the "professional" level, He also teaches Tai Chi at one of the local hospitals so that helps him keep it current.
Our student instructors are not certified, but I'm here almost every hour the school is open and I'm a former Paramedic, so all my certs are still active. I think it is extremely important that at least one person in the building at all business hours be certified and have the required materials to perform first aid.

7sm

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
I have been certified in CPR and Advanced First Aid for decades. I let this slip within the past couple of years and need to remedy it. This is a good reminder.

I have an instructor who is a full time ER nurse, then a couple of Brown Belts. I will try to get this set up within the next couple of months. (Between Camps, Seminars, and such.) Any volunteers to teach????

-MB

Many times, you can get a red cross volunteer to do a community certification for a group of people for free...

You may even want to use it as a recruiting tool... post fliers and advertise in the newspapers and church bulletins "Free CPR class at (name of school)!" and get the community involved. It'll get people into your school who may not ordinarily walk in, and afterwards, you can have cookies and soda and hand out coupons for free lessons to try to get them to train.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
In your school are you (if you are the instructor) or your teachers required to be certified in First Aid and CPR?

If so, do they have just the community level certification (three hour class or so) or the professional level (two days long)?

If they're not certified, do you think they should be?

For our Senior Level II First Aid Certificate, we have to do 5 x 3Hr classes. What a drag!

--Dave

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fortunately three out of four of our lead instructors are LEO's and are required to be certified in both adult and infant cpr also have first responder training wich is about half of what you need for a EMT certification.
:asian:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am ... I now require certification of my instrucors and BB candidates. Thanks for reminding me to bring it up in class tonight!
Chad