Going to class once a week

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Can you be a good martial artist if you go to class once a week?

Sometimes with busy schedules people only have time to train once a week. Or sometimes the best
school is in the next town and they can only get their once a week.

I think it depends on the student and the class. If the student makes an effort to practice on their own and if the class
well taught so the student gets a lot out of it.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are Dedicated, Practise in your Own Time, have the Sheer Dumb Luck to be Naturally Inclined to the Art, and the Instructor provides plenty of otherwise Useless Information;

Then Yes.

Not *AS* Good as a Regular Student, but still Good.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One class a week can work -- but you must practice faithfully and carefully MUCH more than that. The advantage of multiple classes is that you are made to practice, and you have more opportunity to be corrected.

I inherited a one class a week schedule -- and I've kept it. With one class, people tend to make being there happen. With more than one, you start to get the excuses and people miss classes.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does Can you be a good martial artist if you go to class once a week? mean the same thing as Can you be good at martial arts if you go to class once a week?

I see one as being more of an attitude, maybe a state of mind, while the other refers to technical skill and ability.

Personally I've never seen anyone who only came to class once a week be any good at all technique wise, probably because they're so busy (or lazy) that they can only get to class once a week and don't actually do any practice at home on their own either. In theory if someone had a great memory and retained what they learned in class and practiced at home several times a week then maybe they could do well, but it doesn't seem to actually happen.

I know of a few high ranking Aikido instructors who won't consider testing students for higher kyu or dan ranks unless they're spending at least 3 days a week on the mats. From what they say less than that and people just don't progress as they should for those ranks. There was a good (and very long) discussion on it on an aikido forum. Google "Is two days a week enough" and it should come up.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our Institute operates 6 days a week. We do have individuals who come once a week, however while they are dedicated and practice on their own time, you can always pick out the ones who come to practice 2 or 3 or 6 days a week, apart from those who come once a week.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of "it depends" in such a question.

I think it would depend on how much the person practices on their own.

I also think it would depend on the level of training. I think that advanced students are in a better position to be able to learn with sporadic formal training than new students.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
i started training again roughly 10 months ago after a 15+ year break and am now back to 1st kyu where i was (was awarded 4th as a starter) now training for black. in short i've had to relearn everything very quickly and i've only ever gone to 1 class a week (however i will be starting to go go 2 or 3 times now) .

at gradings im always complimented on my technique and i have graded quicker than most do so i dont think going once a week would automatically make you 'not as good' as someone who went more often, just depends how easily you can absorb the skills you're taught and apply them consistently correctly. obviously the more training you have the more benefit you'll have, but i dont think the 'gap' is as big as some think it is, as said though it will depend on the person

i do try to practice at home but i dont have a lot of room so its limited. its more just getting the movements right and when im in class i can then do the whole technique. as long as i already know what movements i need to make my classes normally consist of just fine-tuning them

i was however told i was a 'natural' when i trained as a child so maybe im one of those annoying people that is 'naturally inclined' towards it :)

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1 class a week may work for some - for example: the very athletically gifted & those with lots of GOD given talent, skills, ability and/or luck! - but that would be the exception, NOT the rule. It also depends on your perception of what a "good martial artist" is.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As I mentioned on the other thread, if one can't make it more than once a week there are alternatives. I only have one weekly class available, so I supplement with ballroom dancing and yoga. I often see my training partners on the dance floor as well. It's a winning combination, and about as social an activity as you can get short of swapping car keys.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is all about muscle memory. Work hard under a competent instructor, put the repetitions in and with the right attitude, success, will happen.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Flea: Ballroom dancing is very fun and entertaining - Great social event? Yes! But it won't help much in the self defense department, nor will it make you a better martial artist... neither will yoga or swapping car keys, although they both sound like fun, as well.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm starting out at once to twice per week. Hopefully it's not a complete waste of my time and instructors time.

I work with the options available to me. My husband is still in bed when I go swimming and jogging, I don't need childcare to do that. The rest of my time can be more complicated. Practicing at home isn't too hard to find time for.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flea: Ballroom dancing is very fun and entertaining - Great social event? Yes! But it won't help much in the self defense department, nor will it make you a better martial artist... neither will yoga or swapping car keys, although they both sound like fun, as well.

Ah, but that's where you're wrong. Going cheek to cheek is a lot like going toe to toe. There's the close quarters, obviously, something any fighter has to get comfortable with. Thanks to the improvisational nature of most dances, you're also going to fine-tune your awareness of your partner's movements so that you can respond intuitively in real time. Dancing in a close embrace heightens the intuitive aspect even further because you don't even have a visual on what your partner is doing. It forces you to move by feel.

Most ballroom get-togethers rotate each dance throughout the course of the evening - you'll do a foxtrot, a salsa, a nightclub, a waltz, a tango, etc one after the other. No rule says you have to do them all, but who wants to be a wallflower? A big martial benefit of this of course is that it forces you to be flexible in your thinking. If you can wrap your mind around ten different types of footwork every hour you'll be less likely to catch yourself repeating unhelpful movements in a crisis situation. Imagine a parallel situation in martial arts - what if people in tournaments were expected to show their competence in several arts over the course of a day? I suspect we'd have a lot more mutual respect among all the arts, and a lot more renaissance fighters.

As with any MA class, the highly social nature of dancing encourages people to dance with several different partners, usually a different person for each song. As with MA, dancers get used to working with a huge variety of different body types and movement styles. That skill is critical to success for practicing any martial art. And if you're wearing high heels, you have the added training benefit of having every step you take being on uneven ground.

And while it's not supposed to happen, I've actually had the opportunity to cross the line into MA right there on the dance floor. At one of my favorite dances I've noticed the female population dwindling. When I asked around, it seems that there have been a couple of new guys with sticky fingers (oh, was that your ***? Sorry, my hand must have slipped.) I haven't had the pleasure myself yet, but I'm thinking about getting a little clumsy myself (oh, was that your instep? Darn these stiletto heels!) I haven't actually done it, but I'm not ruling it out either if I find myself in the arms of a total douchebag.

Dancing is one hell of a workout too. Martial artists need stamina and strength, whether it comes from weights, jogging, swimming, or the rumba. Movement is movement is movement. It's all in the intention.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I disagree -- strongly.

Ballroom dancing is an excellent way to really learn how to move your body and control it. It teaches posture and body alignment, as well a sensitivity to someone else's movements (whether leading or following). Several of the most skilled martial artists I've known have studied dance, as well.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree -- strongly.

Ballroom dancing is an excellent way to really learn how to move your body and control it. It teaches posture and body alignment, as well a sensitivity to someone else's movements (whether leading or following). Several of the most skilled martial artists I've known have studied dance, as well.

Im inclined to Disagree, Partially.
Since there are Many Highly Skilled Martial Artists who do Not.

However, I will also Disagree with it not Helping at all.
It does.
Just perhaps more Subjectively to the Individual.
Twill Work for some, and not for Others.

softstylist

White Belt
Reaction score
I suppose there are 2 ways of looking at it....

1 day a week (under a good instructor) is better than nothing at all.

If a person can train for an for a extended period a of time 1 day a week is that not better than some whom come for a few months 6 days a week then quit.

I have personally seen the 2nd in action (both ways) and while I agree more training is better I have seen people who achieved quite a good standard over many years of 1 day week. These people usually have sporadic or difficult jobs that involve travel or some other thing that prevents them from doing more.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. My instructor always said, if you can dance you can fight. The point he was making and the point you are making are one in the same.
I would add rhythm, a sense of timing, and light on your feet to name a few more. Add some self defense to this, and you will, "float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee". :)

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ah, but that's where you're wrong. Going cheek to cheek is a lot like going toe to toe. There's the close quarters, obviously, something any fighter has to get comfortable with. Thanks to the improvisational nature of most dances, you're also going to fine-tune your awareness of your partner's movements so that you can respond intuitively in real time. Dancing in a close embrace heightens the intuitive aspect even further because you don't even have a visual on what your partner is doing. It forces you to move by feel.

Most ballroom get-togethers rotate each dance throughout the course of the evening - you'll do a foxtrot, a salsa, a nightclub, a waltz, a tango, etc one after the other. No rule says you have to do them all, but who wants to be a wallflower? A big martial benefit of this of course is that it forces you to be flexible in your thinking. If you can wrap your mind around ten different types of footwork every hour you'll be less likely to catch yourself repeating unhelpful movements in a crisis situation. Imagine a parallel situation in martial arts - what if people in tournaments were expected to show their competence in several arts over the course of a day? I suspect we'd have a lot more mutual respect among all the arts, and a lot more renaissance fighters.

As with any MA class, the highly social nature of dancing encourages people to dance with several different partners, usually a different person for each song. As with MA, dancers get used to working with a huge variety of different body types and movement styles. That skill is critical to success for practicing any martial art. And if you're wearing high heels, you have the added training benefit of having every step you take being on uneven ground.

And while it's not supposed to happen, I've actually had the opportunity to cross the line into MA right there on the dance floor. At one of my favorite dances I've noticed the female population dwindling. When I asked around, it seems that there have been a couple of new guys with sticky fingers (oh, was that your ***? Sorry, my hand must have slipped.) I haven't had the pleasure myself yet, but I'm thinking about getting a little clumsy myself (oh, was that your instep? Darn these stiletto heels!) I haven't actually done it, but I'm not ruling it out either if I find myself in the arms of a total douchebag.

Dancing is one hell of a workout too. Martial artists need stamina and strength, whether it comes from weights, jogging, swimming, or the rumba. Movement is movement is movement. It's all in the intention.
I agree with all your points... but dancing doesn't teach you how to punch, kick, take down, choke, armbar, etc. - all things you need to learn, in order to become a real martial artist - although the stiletto heels you wear, can be used as a weapon. :uhyeah:

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I disagree -- strongly. Several of the most skilled martial artists I've known have studied dance, as well.
Can you please name 3 of those "most skilled martial artists" that have also studied dance, as well?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you please name 3 of those "most skilled martial artists" that have also studied dance, as well?
Can I? Yes. Will I? No; note, please, that I included the qualifier "that I have known." I rather doubt you'd know them. Not every skilled martial artist is famous. Though I do recall that Bruce Lee was reported to have won several cha-cha contests.

You seem locked on "you must do martial arts to improve martial arts." And this is true; you can't learn to punch or kick or throw or be thrown or what have you about martial arts without doing martial arts. But lots of things that are not explicitly martial arts can improve your martial arts. Obvious ones: strength training and cardio training. You do, I trust, agree that strength training and conditioning can improve your martial arts? So can other things. Ballroom dancing (or other forms of dance) has been discussed. It's not the only way to learn those things -- but, y'know, I can think of worse ways to learn than holding a pretty girl!

You also mentioned yoga, and I definitely want to address how yoga can help martial arts. Some types of yoga can help undo the damage and harm done to the body in training. Other types will improve your control and awareness of your body, and it's pretty clear that better flexibility -- especially when coupled with strength as found in many forms of yoga -- will have martial benefits. In fact, from what I've read, one art (kalaripyattu) doesn't even start martial training until the student has done a certain amount of yoga.

Latest Discussions