CPR/First Aid Trained.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who here is CPR/First Aid trained? Do you make it a requirement in your dojo/dojang that you and your other instructors are well versed in these life saving techniques?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am CPR/First Aid trained, as is my assistant instructor. It is highly recommended, although not required, by my association - but it is so highly recommended that, when we hold our biennial camp, the training is offered there, at cost.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sensei sets up the training classes at the the school and encourages all instructors to attend. It is worth it for life outside the dojo, too.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On examinations in the more advanced and then black belt levels, students must demonstrate knowledge of first-aid procedures. For first-grade black belt, they must be CPR certified.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both First Responder and CPR certified (First Responder is one step above the regular First Aid). I also took a semester of Advanced First Aid and Emergency Care in college. One large organization I belonged to in the 1980's (The ATA) required both, IIRC, for ALL certified instructors. Good question, Lisa.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Twenty something odd years ago I received a ton of high quality (but unofficial) first aid/cpr training that would've brought me up (had it been official) to EMT status. Mainly because I worked closely with trainers and trainees in the Am. Red Cross and other sources.
Then a few years ago I received my First Responder/CPR certification due to my *ahem* underground activities. :wink2:
While I probably need to "officially" renew my certs at the present there's no immediate need for it as I'm semi-retired from the Search and Rescue groups I was affiliated with.
As one paramed friend once told me "all that card in your wallet does is cover your *** in-case something goes wrong and find out who you are". In a crunch you can always "disappear" when the real EMS arrives (if at the scene of an accident). At least they got the help they needed immediately.

But of course in this law-suit happy days of ours even the official capacity doesn't help as much as it should in the court-room and a hungry lawyer nipping at your testimony.
Personally I think it's stupid to try and sue someone who's gotten the training but wasn't able to save your friend's/sig-other's life. If a paramedic/EMT/LEO/Fire-fighter was doing their job and wasn't able to save them... they shouldn't be sued just because they performed the work on them in the attempt.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I along with most of our officers are First Aid/CPR and AED certified...Most of the MA instructors that I know have at least the First Aid and CPR certs...

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, we set up CPR and first aid classes for instructors.
It is required now for our primary instructors.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm infant/ child/adult certifed for CPF as well as certified for AED (automatic external defibulator) for child/ adult.

Our school has an AED and we have at least 4 folks in the medical profession, 2 or 3 are firefighters/ EMTS and about another dozen are CPR certified.

The school offers a CPR course for 35 bucks every year.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
stickarts said:
oh yeah, good point! I forgot to mention we included AED training in our last class.

If you've never seen an AED in use remember to stay at LEAST 3 feet away from the victim when/ if you push the button when you get the message "shock advised". Its amazing how much a victim will twitch and flail when 2,000,000 joules are run through them - and you DON'T want to come in contact with them while they're juiced up and you could wind up in the ICU for a couple of days.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
fireman00 said:
If you've never seen an AED in use remember to stay at LEAST 3 feet away from the victim when/ if you push the button when you get the message "shock advised". Its amazing how much a victim will twitch and flail when 2,000,000 joules are run through them - and you DON'T want to come in contact with them while they're juiced up and you could wind up in the ICU for a couple of days.

The other thing to remember is when the AED is analyzing the patient it is also important not to touch them during this phase. The AED can mistakenly pick up your heart rate and this will lead to an improper reading on the part of the AED.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just finished a Wilderness First Responder (woofer) course, and I would HIGHLY recommend it to those folks who find themselves out in the boonies once in a while. Before the WFR course I was also had CPR, first aid, and AED training.

Our school doesn't require it of their instructors.

Lamont

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Our school doesn't require it of their instructors.

Lamont

Do you think they should? Do your instructors think they should? Ever tried recommending it to them?
Just wondering.
Sounds like to me that it's a good idea for all MA instructors and anyone approaching the rank of instructor or even instructor's assistant should be learning BFA and CPR.
Accidents happen.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
The other thing to remember is when the AED is analyzing the patient it is also important not to touch them during this phase. The AED can mistakenly pick up your heart rate and this will lead to an improper reading on the part of the AED.

Thanks all.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Who here is CPR/First Aid trained?
I was, but the cert has since expired. Was going to be an Red Cross instructor before life happened. :rolleyes:
Lisa said:
Do you make it a requirement in your dojo/dojang that you and your other instructors are well versed in these life saving techniques?
I think that would be an excellent idea. There's no reason anyone should not be trained in at least rudimentary first aid, and in this instance it's even more important.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
fireman00 said:

Good info....

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:

good point and very true - also, sweat or water from the victim or rescuers (its amazing the kind of work out you get when doing CPR) can conduct electricity, as can metal so watch out for what's around/ under you and the victim.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I are...I mean I be. I mean, yes, I am both.:) It's part of my job. I just renewed my CPR last month.

Latest Discussions