Martial art goals

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I've been thinking the last few days about what I want to do before I get to old to really do more. The main thing I would like to achieve is a 3rd dan in kenpo. Rank has never really bothered me and it still doesn't its not something I'm counting down the days for. But if the opportunity presents itself it is a rank I'd like to get to.

Second thing I'd like to do is try out Judo. I trained a bit of bjj when I was pursuing mma and while I remember a few bits and could probably still use those moves I don't really list it as one of my styles. But judo has always appealed to me more than jiu jitsu anyway due to the fact it focuses more on standing up and getting the takedown. I have a friend at my kenpo club who has just started judo so maybe one day I'll give it a go and see what I think.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I feel like I can't do anymore

So many times, I felt like I couldn't it do any more. Every time, I was proven wrong.

How old is too old? I'll let you know when I'm too old. I'll be 41 next month, so I'm no where near too old, judging by some of the geezers around here :) Then again, I can't count how many times I've thought to myself "I'm getting too old for this s**t." That's almost always been in the heat of the moment followed by a voice in my head saying "stop being such a f'in p***y" and pushing through it.

morlock

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Getting to 40 here with 2 young kids. Some days are harder ;)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
177 years old. I don't know a single martial artist who is still doing any significant training past the age of 176.
I remember this one guy, I think he was 178 the last time I saw him, and still training hard. But that was at least 183 years ago so my memory might not be too sharp on that yet...

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking the last few days about what I want to do before I get to old to really do more. The main thing I would like to achieve is a 3rd dan in kenpo. Rank has never really bothered me and it still doesn't its not something I'm counting down the days for. But if the opportunity presents itself it is a rank I'd like to get to.

Second thing I'd like to do is try out Judo. I trained a bit of bjj when I was pursuing mma and while I remember a few bits and could probably still use those moves I don't really list it as one of my styles. But judo has always appealed to me more than jiu jitsu anyway due to the fact it focuses more on standing up and getting the takedown. I have a friend at my kenpo club who has just started judo so maybe one day I'll give it a go and see what I think.
I think that's great! Putting that goal out there, the achieving the 3rd dan, is something that I think everyone really ought to do. Set a goal, make it the "Target" and do what's necessary to strive to reach it. The individual's target might not be yours, i.e. 3rd dan, it might just be to reach black belt... it might be to get crazy high rank and create an organization. The goal, and the pursuit of same, are "the thing."

Judo is crazy good fun. Great workout, applicable to real world scrapes in the very limited possibility that you'd need it, comradeship and colleague-generation relationship forming... I've very rarely been involved in as tightly-knit and caring bunch of people as a judo school. I think it's because of all the hugging, and that is not a joke, though ti seems like it should be.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many times, I felt like I couldn't it do any more. Every time, I was proven wrong.

How old is too old? I'll let you know when I'm too old. I'll be 41 next month, so I'm no where near too old, judging by some of the geezers around here :) Then again, I can't count how many times I've thought to myself "I'm getting too old for this s**t." That's almost always been in the heat of the moment followed by a voice in my head saying "stop being such a f'in p***y" and pushing through it.
Once you get to the lofty status of considering yourself a "Geezer," you should give aikido a try. Well, I'll recommend what I do which is the Tomiki stuff. Bring your previous training with you, we love that stuff.

The more I consider what I do... now... compared to what beginners are taught, the more I think that the concept of aikido as a "finishing" art is a good one. I admit, the idea never even occurred to me, and for that, I feel stupid.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once you get to the lofty status of considering yourself a "Geezer," you should give aikido a try. Well, I'll recommend what I do which is the Tomiki stuff. Bring your previous training with you, we love that stuff.

The more I consider what I do... now... compared to what beginners are taught, the more I think that the concept of aikido as a "finishing" art is a good one. I admit, the idea never even occurred to me, and for that, I feel stupid.

A while back, I taught an intro to karate class as a PE elective at a college I worked at. I loved teaching that class. There was a Tomiki Aikido guy who was looking to teach an elective class, so my boss at the time asked me to let him teach one night during my class as a tryout for him. He did pretty well, so we gave him his own class the following semester.

I worked with him quite a bit for a semester or two. He showed me some stuff that really helped me better understand karate kata. I taught him 2 or 3 karate kata - Saiha, Tensho, and another one which escapes my memory. His circular movement, push/pull and overall flow really helped me look at those two kata in a different light.

It all started with a very simple wrist grab defense principle he showed me - circling to the side, shoulder to shoulder - that made the light bulb go on for me in the opening movement in Saiha. It was "do that again, this fits my favorite kata perfectly." I showed him the opening sequence, and he loved it, so I showed him the rest of the kata.

He was a good guy. Too bad we both moved on from that school. The only Aikido school near me that I know of is anything but combative, unfortunately.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My goal is that I want to be a good representation of Jow Ga Kung Fu. I want to be able to use it and show that it can be used effectively for self-defense. I don't want to be like some of the practitioners out there who talk big then go out and get their butts kicked simply because they do not understand their martial arts nor do they understand their limitations.

My theory on martial arts is that martial arts in general cannot be fully understood until the student tries to use the techniques in free sparring. So far it looks as if I'm achieving my goal. I've noticed some changes lately from other Jow Ga schools so I hope my videos helped to inspire the schools to do more sparring. It will be nice to be known for being able to use Jow Ga Kung Fu beyond just doing forms.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My goal is to

- "develop at least one single skill" that I can do better than others.
- "create at least one single strategy" that has not yet been created before.

This way I will feel that my life is not completely wasted. I don't want to be just another "copy machine".

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A while back, I taught an intro to karate class as a PE elective at a college I worked at. I loved teaching that class. There was a Tomiki Aikido guy who was looking to teach an elective class, so my boss at the time asked me to let him teach one night during my class as a tryout for him. He did pretty well, so we gave him his own class the following semester.

I worked with him quite a bit for a semester or two. He showed me some stuff that really helped me better understand karate kata. I taught him 2 or 3 karate kata - Saiha, Tensho, and another one which escapes my memory. His circular movement, push/pull and overall flow really helped me look at those two kata in a different light.

It all started with a very simple wrist grab defense principle he showed me - circling to the side, shoulder to shoulder - that made the light bulb go on for me in the opening movement in Saiha. It was "do that again, this fits my favorite kata perfectly." I showed him the opening sequence, and he loved it, so I showed him the rest of the kata.

He was a good guy. Too bad we both moved on from that school. The only Aikido school near me that I know of is anything but combative, unfortunately.
Life happens. Maybe he's off somewhere talking about the good guy he met while teaching at that place,and showing folks the karate kata you showed to him and which he now has installed in his personal system. That's a neat thought, eh!

Here's where I come from on learning "new" stuff....

While learning actively on the mat, in training or listening to instructors, empty your cup. Clear your mind of things from the past and be in the moment, trying to get what you can from the person in front of you who is offering to help you learn a new and/or different thing. It is different, so may not jive with what you've been taught int he past. That is OK.

When considering passively, allow the mind's incredible power to consider how one technique(s) or style(s) might work with another. The subconscious mind is one heck of a problem-solver. Give it the job of blending Tai Chi and Sambo... WC and Savate... Kendo and Western Sabre... Greco-Roman and BJJ.... whatever. Sleep and dreaming... subconscious processing and analytics. It's surprising.

Then, when the idea pops up, get back on the mat, tell a trusted person what you're thinking about, and play with it, expirementation at its best.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm all ready old, I haven't really got any goals, beyond the obvious to progress through the belts, but they effectively are of no value, it the progression of my ability that they represent, which has value. I don't wear a gi so don't bother actually owning a belt. Il get one if/when a get a black belt, not a gi you understand just the belt.

MA is really a focus for my fitness routeen , than a thing in its own right. Learning new movement patterns is a challenge at my age. The kata in particular is a major issue as its a sequence dance and learning a dance with a 100 or more separate moves is a tall order. I cant do dances with half a dozen moves. That in its self will probably put a stop to my objective of getting a black belt as apparently there are quite a few katas I'm obliged to know.

I'm also struggling with hip flexability, which leaves me with a killer low round house a front kick that will break your knee but no higher and no other kicks at all that are worthy of the name. I'm working hard on my hips, but its an uphill job

I take what ever I'm weak at and add it to my work out routeen and try to get it to a reasonable standard. Then when I find I can do the most push ups or burpees or what ever in the class, pick another area to concentrate on.

I new very fit guy has just joined( personal trainer) and we got into a pull up competition on a beam in the dojo, I could do 12 he could do 18 so I'm back on the pull up bar to get my total up to 20

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's great! Putting that goal out there, the achieving the 3rd dan, is something that I think everyone really ought to do. Set a goal, make it the "Target" and do what's necessary to strive to reach it. The individual's target might not be yours, i.e. 3rd dan, it might just be to reach black belt... it might be to get crazy high rank and create an organization. The goal, and the pursuit of same, are "the thing."

Judo is crazy good fun. Great workout, applicable to real world scrapes in the very limited possibility that you'd need it, comradeship and colleague-generation relationship forming... I've very rarely been involved in as tightly-knit and caring bunch of people as a judo school. I think it's because of all the hugging, and that is not a joke, though ti seems like it should be.
Yeah, I miss Judo. My time in the art was too brief (instructor moved) and too long ago. If I had the time and disposable income, I'd probably pick up something new-ish to train in - probably BJJ or Judo.

And I agree, having a goal can add some spice to the journey. I think I'm done with ranks (partly because I'm not in an organization, so nobody to get them from), but I'd love to train at least one really good instructor before I'm done.

Reactions: JP3

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but I'd love to train at least one really good instructor before I'm done.
This is probably one of the biggest desires for people who teach. Regardless of the subject they are teaching.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be just another "copy machine".
What if you come up with a specific blending of two different concepts, and to your mind, no one has done that before? The essence of invention, the pairing of ideas previously unpaired. Would that be sufficient for you to gain this feeling of accomplishment?

Latest Discussions