"MA-related things you just don't understand and would like to admit it to someone" thread!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is so much I don’t understand. Probably never will.

And I agree with so much already stated in this thread. I have a poor understanding of leg locks, they are a mystery to me, other than really simple ones. But I never work on them anymore anyway. And that’s My bad.

Cornermen….having been both a cornerman and a fighter with cornermen, I can tell you unless you’re a real rookie, you aren’t about to listen to cornermen screaming instructions while you’re fighting. It’s tough to hear in front of a crowd anyway, especially a large vocal crowd, it’s not like the UFC on TV where there’s mikes near them. And you really can’t multitask and try to hear what they say when someones trying to beat you up. Besides, cornermen tend to yell at the same time….different things.

I don’t understand the immense popularity of Tae-Kwon-Do. I mean no disrespect by that what-so-ever, I just don’t understand it’s popularity. Is it because there are so many TKD schools?

I’ll never understand the I-Ching. And I used to try, a lot. Complete loss to me.

I’ll never understand the buying-in to the whole “simple touch” pain techniques/knockouts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do anybody know why someone does a Judo throw, he moves back his leg before he moves his leg forward?

So far as I know, it's a bad habit, probably developed in repetitive drills, working on the set-up (getting structure broken). I've actually seen a video (I think on here) of an instructor reminding one of the demonstrators over and over NOT to do that.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Chinese Kenpo and American Kenpo and Kenpo Karate and EPAK (Ed Parker’s American Kenpo) are all derivatives of what Ed Parker was doing at various times in his training and teaching.

Ed Parker was a student of William Chow, who was a student and/or collaborator to some degree of James Mitose (there is a lot of argument about that). Parker brought it to the Mainland and continued to develop it in various directions, studied some Chinese methods which influenced his Kenpo, etc. so the various names were taken by his students of those eras, even though he himself continued to change it.

Kajukenbo comes from other students of William Chow, who mixed it with other methods and derived that system.

Kara-ho Kenpo is another method originated by another student of Chow. There is a West Coast (California) Shaolin Kenpo that was developed by yet another Chow student, and some East Coast (New England) Kenpo variants as well, they all trace back to Chow in some way. So a lot of Kenpo variations based on who learned from who, and during what period of time, but tracing back to William Chow and James Mitose, and depending on the downstream lineage and how it was later developed.
Okinawan/Ryukyu kempo and Shorinji Kempo are unrelated to the Mitose/Chow Kenpo variants found in the US.
Ah I see! Quite a mishmash of a history huh... Very helpful, thank you!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
First a clarification, In China Wushu is what we call Kung Fu the terms are now interchangeable in China, but they did not use to be. It was Wushu, you needed Kung Fu (hard work) to be good at Wushu (Martial arts). Basically Kung Fu was a translation error that is now representative of Chinese martial arts. Wushu is not a style, there are multiple styles of Wushu, Wing Chun being one of them......which brings me to....

Ip Man is the guy, that the lions share of most of the Wing Chun schools you see today, come from. Also the hero of multiple fictional movies loosely based on reality that came form China, generally staring Donnie Yen as Ip Man

Ip Man

Yip_Man.jpg

Ah cheers, yeah I was aware of that distinction, just wasn't sure what particular style of Wushu Ip Man developed.

Ah I see, thanks Xue! The man/myth was always a mystery to me :)

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don’t understand combat as entertainment, either as a spectator or a participant.
I don't see it as entertainment. It does present to me other things. Realization that conflict is a reality.

There are those who are willing to physically force their own personal will on others with no regard or consideration for what is just and righteous. It is a reminder that we must be vigilant, on guard and able to resist.

It also provides me an objective appreciation of skillfully executed techniques and the powers that we possess. In sport, I watch football not having a favored team. I just enjoy the display of super ability and effort. The same in actual combat. And, there, a reminder that wisdom and compassion are needed to insure they are used at the proper time and for the proper reasons. Of course, "proper" is a sometimes cloudy, subjective, term and defining it is a personal challenge. There is also risk in combat (and many of our actions) that must be assumed and accepted.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don’t understand combat as entertainment, either as a spectator or a participant.
Interesting comment. Having been a spectator and a participant of sport combat I think of the hundreds if not thousands of hours that go into the preparation for the event which typically does not last very long. The free flow nature of combat and the myriad factors that can affect an outcome made it entertaining for me. Whether you are watching 2 people at the top of their game or 2 people that are experiencing sport combat for the first time, there is much to appreciate. First and foremost is the courage to get up and put yourself at risk for what could ultimately end in a very short night for you. There is also much to learn from competing against someone who is also looking to do their best to get the better of you. In some cases, you can implement your plan and in others.......well it is interesting to see how you will deal with it when your opponent is successfully preventing you from doing just that.

Fortunately we live in a time where combat doesn't always mean life or death. Sport combat can also be a reality check of where you really are in terms of your training and your peers.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don’t understand the immense popularity of Tae-Kwon-Do. I mean no disrespect by that what-so-ever, I just don’t understand it’s popularity. Is it because there are so many TKD schools?

Marketability and kids

I’ll never understand the I-Ching. And I used to try, a lot. Complete loss to me.

Aw that's easy, first, learn Chinese, study a lot of Chinese philosophy.... then hangout with a lot of Chinese. After that....get into Chinese metaphors, see...so far simple......then after all that, and studying the I Ching.... come to the conclusion that folks like Confucius and the Buddha REALLY over complicate everything...and now you are then ready....forget it all throw the book away and just go with the flow.... see.. simple.. :)

I’ll never understand the buying-in to the whole “simple touch” pain techniques/knockouts.

Cause it ain't simple, you should see how much a real Qinna guy trains and what he trains

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
1) I don't understand why some folk teacher 7,000,000 different applications for one move
2) I don't get why they teach things like cane SD that you simply cannot do, if you actually nee a cane to walk
3) I don't understand how it is that there are so many Krav Maga schools that don't really teach Krav Maga
Which brings me to
4) I don't understand what a school teaches that claims it teaches Kung Fu...meaning the style...Kung Fu

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting comment. Having been a spectator and a participant of sport combat I think of the hundreds if not thousands of hours that go into the preparation for the event which typically does not last very long. The free flow nature of combat and the myriad factors that can affect an outcome made it entertaining for me. Whether you are watching 2 people at the top of their game or 2 people that are experiencing sport combat for the first time, there is much to appreciate. First and foremost is the courage to get up and put yourself at risk for what could ultimately end in a very short night for you. There is also much to learn from competing against someone who is also looking to do their best to get the better of you. In some cases, you can implement your plan and in others.......well it is interesting to see how you will deal with it when your opponent is successfully preventing you from doing just that.

Fortunately we live in a time where combat doesn't always mean life or death. Sport combat can also be a reality check of where you really are in terms of your training and your peers.

Apparently it never really did. The gladiator combat of Rome wasn't as deadly as the movies made them out to be.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
1) I don't understand why some folk teacher 7,000,000 different applications for one move
2) I don't get why they teach things like cane SD that you simply cannot do, if you actually nee a cane to walk
3) I don't understand how it is that there are so many Krav Maga schools that don't really teach Krav Maga
Which brings me to
4) I don't understand what a school teaches that claims it teaches Kung Fu...meaning the style...Kung Fu
I remember watching a guy do a cane kata. The fellow walked onto the floor acting as if he needs the cane to ambulate. Then he did this kata with all kinds of jumping spin kicks and low sweeps.

That was a head-scratcher, for sure.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparently it never really did. The gladiator combat of Rome wasn't as deadly as the movies made them out to be.
Well maybe it wasn't typically a case for gladiators in Ancient Rome but I think the Christians that were thrown to the lions might have felt differently.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most (if not all) moves can be applied in multiple ways. Although at some point the student should be picking up on those ways themselves, rather than being explicitly told.

Needing a cane does not necessarily mean you can't use it as a weapon. Needing a cane covers a lot of territory.

Carrying your escrima sticks might be a bit of an attention grabber. Carrying a cane, not so much. And you can carry a cane in places that will not allow other weapons (i.e. on a plane).

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do anybody know why someone does a Judo throw, he moves back his leg before he moves his leg forward?

Its a bad habit with a rationalization.

To do a proper hip throw, especially in demo / static form, the thrower should have his hips below the other guys hips. This way the person being thrown can just fall over the hips. The thrower should be able to load the guy over his hips and stop, fully supporting the other guy one his hips.

You will notice in the video that the one throwing is taller and never bends his knees to lower his hips. His hips are actually higher than the hips of the guy he is throwing during the throw. This means, he has to lift the guy he is throwing. Since he never gets under the guy, he can't really support him with his legs. By swinging the leg like that, his is adding momentum and energy to get the guy over. This is a lot more energy than would be required to bend his knees and get under the guy he is throwing. Using a taller guy in the demo would help.

The rationalization comes from competition. In competition you want to throw hard and fast. If you miss your off balancing, you will need to over power the other guy, or try something else. When doing drills to build up the speed and power, you learn that swinging your leg like that will generate more power. It will also generate more speed if you only time it from when the leg is moving forward. In application, if you swing your leg back like that, to prepare for more power, you give the other guy lots of notice of your intent and plenty of time to counter it.

Latest Discussions