Looking for a good print or poster of the tenets

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good poster or print of the Tenets of TKD. It will be going up on one of my walls, so it needs to be professional looking.

I've looked around but have not found a copy I like.

Any ideas where to look?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you try a Google search???

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Century and Macho carrys one also Tekno has there own version, Later I will send a pic. of the one had I made for you to see.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is acompany called zkorean.com that has them on t-shirts in Korean. It may be worth a shot. You might also try Sangmoosa.com. Let me know what you find. It does like a neat item.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I edited the title of your thread so it didn't look like you were looking for information about renters... :p

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the edit...I can't type after Friday night sparring class.

I did try Google, just have not found much. Though I did find one, I'll attach it. The only problem is very low quality I would need to figure out how to clean it up.

Attachments

• $tenets.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 749

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like that one, but if you are just printing it off an image on the computer how about getting someone who can do graphics to design something for you?

They could take the korean lettering off this one and move things around to suit you. Also printers can take the file and put it into their press to make something good.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a professional artist on call (when I need her) but at $200 (and that's a favor for a friend, example my logo) per job I try and avoid anything but original art. I may have her do something, but I'm looking for prints first to save money.

I found a poster on Ebay Canada, but the bidding was over. I emailed the seller of the poster to see if it is still available.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They could take the korean lettering off this one and move things around to suit you.

Just so you know, the printing on the poster you attached, Fluffy, is Chinese and not Korean Hangul. If that is ok with you, then this one would work, I guess.

You said you looked around, but could not find a copy you liked. What was it about the copies you did find that you didn't like? What exactly are you looking for that satisfy your taste?

I've seen many different versions before. I could look around and find one for you. Personally, I would create my own version on my computer, save it on disk, and take it to a copy company, or photo lab to have it printed in poster size and laminated.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
(Edit)

Do the characters on the poster reflect the English translation?

Reading from the upper left down, the first two characters mean "self control" but I didn't see Chinese representations of other words, such as Character. My knowledge of the language is poor however.
(forgive slight thread hijack)

Last Fearner, your post made me curious. Is Hanja used at all in present-day Korea?

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
(Edit)

Do the characters on the poster reflect the English translation?

Reading from the upper left down, the first two characters mean "self control" but I didn't see Chinese representations of other words, such as Character. My knowledge of the language is poor however.
(forgive slight thread hijack)

Last Fearner, your post made me curious. Is Hanja used at all in present-day Korea?

Some of our other MT members are more familiar with the Chinese script, and how to read it. You might also ask some of them that are in Korea now about the current use of Hanja. It is my understanding that Chinese characters are used regualarly in the newspapers in Korea. It is mostly for the upper-class, and more educated Koreans. The Korean hangul was created so that even the un-educated Korean could learn to read, but the more educated Koreans still learn and use both. Less educated Koreans often read the paper, and skip over the Chinese Charaters that they don't know how to read.

In Taekwondo documents, both are often used. The Chinese characters are mostly to be impressive, and show a sign of higher education. A lot of Koreans use signature stamps on documents that have their name in Chinese Characters. Often times, the Tenets and other such posters for display are written in Hanja, because many Koreans find it more impressive and official looking.

Personally, I prefer to use all Korean Hangul for all of my paperwork, certificates, documents, and posters, but then, I'm an American, and I'm impressed with knowing the Korean Hangul.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of our other MT members are more familiar with the Chinese script, and how to read it. You might also ask some of them that are in Korea now about the current use of Hanja. It is my understanding that Chinese characters are used regualarly in the newspapers in Korea. It is mostly for the upper-class, and more educated Koreans. The Korean hangul was created so that even the un-educated Korean could learn to read, but the more educated Koreans still learn and use both. Less educated Koreans often read the paper, and skip over the Chinese Charaters that they don't know how to read.

In Taekwondo documents, both are often used. The Chinese characters are mostly to be impressive, and show a sign of higher education. A lot of Koreans use signature stamps on documents that have their name in Chinese Characters. Often times, the Tenets and other such posters for display are written in Hanja, because many Koreans find it more impressive and official looking.

Personally, I prefer to use all Korean Hangul for all of my paperwork, certificates, documents, and posters, but then, I'm an American, and I'm impressed with knowing the Korean Hangul.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Very interesting. Thank you so much! :asian:

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fluffmeister, if you do get a graphic, you can always send it through like Costco.com (they'll print posters for cheap, like $10ish? maybe 20), or I think also Walmart does that.

I do my own artwork and have them print them regularly, for a single print it's a great cost.

It does crack me up on the Korean's always using Hanja for documents though heh. I never realized when I was learning Korean that I'd need to learn Chinese as well. So far I know like 4 characters ;p. (Mah Jong anyone? heh).

I noticed, _most_ of my Taekwondo shirts from any kind of national event, are in Chinese not Korean, in fact I think all of them are. Although, my local ones (even from a Korean born Senior Master) are in Hangul, so that was nice to be able to actually sound them out and translate hehe.

So, Chinese is next :). Of course, I'm still a 3 year old when it comes to reading Korean, might be a while heh.

Latest Discussions