What Do The Tenets of Taekwondo Have to Do With Hate?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only do we have a sense of humor but some of us actually get Monty Python, Benny Hill and Dave Allen at Large humor. :)

Benny Hill sadly is the lowest sort lol.

I'd recommend Blackadder as well especially the ones set in the First World War, if you haven't seen the ending it's quite a shock.

If you are going to have tenets up on your walls, a sense of humour must come up pretty high on the list. If you can laugh at yourself you will never be too full of pride, if you can laugh at fate too you're much more likely to go through life as a pleasant person to know and train with.
In my job a sense of humour is a must and is recognised as such by our employers, it will come up time and time again throughout training and is even mentioned on the job interview.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'd recommend Blackadder as well especially the ones set in the First World War, if you haven't seen the ending it's quite a shock.

:eek: Blackadder
icon14.gif

If you are going to have tenets up on your walls, a sense of humour must come up pretty high on the list. If you can laugh at yourself you will never be too full of pride, if you can laugh at fate too you're much more likely to go through life as a pleasant person to know and train with.

Truth is truth, To the end of reckoning.

and

There's the humour of it.

Sorry, I appear to be stuck in Shakespeare :D

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes, I think sense of humor is an important part of not taking yourself or your life too seriously. I'd say life experience is the best teacher of this lesson, yet there are those who don't learn to use perspective to manage their emotions. They don't learn. Practice is a great teacher only if you learn from it. Role models and coaches often make all the difference.

Along with sense of humor, an open mind would be high on my list.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Benny Hill sadly is the lowest sort lol.

Do not insult my demi-god Benny Hill, he will rise from the grave and smite you. ha.haha...I actually enjoy Blackadder, The Young Ones and Mr. Bean as well. :)

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not think that tenants have any thing to do with hate. I do however think that their existence is important. In a larger type class setting you may have people of all races, religions, and socio economic back grounds in one place at one time, with their main purpose > learning how to fight. I do think that most parents do try to teach their children how to behave and have manners and to be respectful, but the success rate differers from parent to parent. If tenants are on the walls then it is a subtle reminder of how to behave in that particular environment. Can they be a bit cheesy yes, are they still important yes, are they a religious no.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was at the Tuff-N-UFF Amateur MMA competition in Las Vegas. I saw an example of "Hate" that disturbed me. One of the fighter had the "SS" lightning bolts Tattooed on his chest, "SKINHEAD" Tattooed on his Stomach and "WHITEPOWER" Tattooed on his back. Thank God he lost!!! If I was running that competition I would have pulled him from the card! This type of Hate should not be tolerated!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the Tuff-N-UFF Amateur MMA competition in Las Vegas. I saw an example of "Hate" that disturbed me. One of the fighter had the "SS" lightning bolts Tattooed on his chest, "SKINHEAD" Tattooed on his Stomach and "WHITEPOWER" Tattooed on his back. Thank God he lost!!! If I was running that competition I would have pulled him from the card! This type of Hate should not be tolerated!

We had a guy with similiar tattoes want to fight on one of our shows, he was told no and to go away in short sharp jerky movements.

'Tuff-N-Nuff'? what sort of name for a fight night is that? It's hardly going to take forward the acceptance of MMA as a serious sport. It's a naff as hell.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't like the name either. It is a good show and a well attended event. Wanderlei Silva was @ this one and Dana White was at the one in October. The name has become somewhat of a brand for them don't see it changing. I like you would like to see MMA move toward more professionalism and get away from the tough guy brawler image.

What is "NAFF"?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naff is 'uncool, tacky or unfashionable' there is another meaning where you can tell someone to naff off which is a mild way of saying FO so you aren't swearing. To us the 'Tuff n Nuff' sounds like 'toys r us' or 'spuds r us', cheap sounding as well as soft, believe it or not. To us it's a very funny name, it's something you'd call a kids cartoon character :)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Naff is 'uncool, tacky or unfashionable' there is another meaning where you can tell someone to naff off which is a mild way of saying FO so you aren't swearing. To us the 'Tuff n Nuff' sounds like 'toys r us' or 'spuds r us', cheap sounding as well as soft, believe it or not. To us it's a very funny name, it's something you'd call a kids cartoon character :)

The translation gets lost over the Atlantic. I would agree cheap but not soft. It is more like are you tough enough to fight in the ring not really soft. It is fascinating to see how are common language is perceived/used so differently. We dislike it for different reasons.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The translation gets lost over the Atlantic. I would agree cheap but not soft. It is more like are you tough enough to fight in the ring not really soft. It is fascinating to see how are common language is perceived/used so differently. We dislike it for different reasons.

Anything abbreviated with 'N' in it instead of 'and' is going to be laughed at here I'm afraid. To us it's very camp and the last thing fighters want to be seen as. I don't like the overly brutal names either though so am with you there.