Look... Can't we all just agree that PUNCHING POWER is just a matter of upper-body strength?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what, let me go take a three-year break from my real life and prove to everyone how right I am by focusing on lifting and boxing only. The world needs to be enlightened.

No strategy can turn one man into a killing machine. We need an army for that. And as long as you are not as stupid as Xerxes, you will come out victorious in a war if you have the superior weaponpower, firepower and manpower.

KOKarate, you need to be awakened from your dogmatic slumber and realize that martial arts are overrated. Violence is where it's at. Here's the difference between useless martial art and practical violence. Here's martial arts...

On the other hand, VIOLENCE.

Violence always wins.
Ah, yes, the old "cartoon defeats movie" line of logic.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not surprising he posted a cartoon to show what a woman is !

there's a certain element of not being able to separate fiction and reality going on here.

id bet a pound we have another rat, holding forth but never actually going to a class developing here
Rat at least seems to be doing some actual research.

D

Deleted member 39746

In light, red-green-blue. In pigment, cyan-magenta-yellow (and black, in practice).

Both CMYK and RBY are used for pigment/printing. Did a breif look, painting is RBY, printing is CMYK based. And i was personally taught RBY in art if i recall correctly. It weird, there is like 4 colour systems used, and thats why thw wiki pages for colours have like 4 colour mixtures listed for the diffrent systems both for digital and manual colours.

D

Deleted member 39746

id bet a pound we have another rat, holding forth but never actually going to a class developing here

I literally just finished writing the other one and posted it and caught that as the most recent posts. I literally did the forum version of looking away for five minuets.

Also @gpseymour i have had the black isnt a colour issue before. you have to seperate if you mean physics (as its lack of light) or in art/paint. Last i checked you can get and make black pigment to paint with, so it is a colour. but it is also the lack of light as in physics.

i had some argument with some in real life with it, and had to very clearly state physics and art are two seperate things and context determines what black is and isnt.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I literally just finished writing the other one and posted it and caught that as the most recent posts. I literally did the forum version of looking away for five minuets.

Also @gpseymour i have had the black isnt a colour issue before. you have to seperate if you mean physics (as its lack of light) or in art/paint. Last i checked you can get and make black pigment to paint with, so it is a colour. but it is also the lack of light as in physics.

i had some argument with some in real life with it, and had to very clearly state physics and art are two seperate things and context determines what black is and isnt.

Yes in physics, the absence of light is dark, black. In paint or pigment, black may be all colors. I know when I've tried to mix colors on the spot and go a little to far, it goes black....or close to it.

D

Deleted member 39746

Brian, are you familiar with the knee on belly position? If not, wrap your mind around this if you can.....The photo I shared with you of QT and my instructor...if either one of them had you in this position, and you weren’t familiar with that position, you could not force your way out of that position with either one of them no matter how much strength you have, no matter how crazy you went.

the issue i have with grappling as a example, yes there are inescapable postions espeically if you dont know what you are doing or the bio mechnics. But if you are so obscenely stronger and heavier than the person you are grappling and arent used to it they can just power through with very basic /no skills. Dont a lot of grappling coaches have stories of that one person who comes in who is a strength athelete or something they cant submit, unless they have a equal intrest/obsession with building strength? Then they usually beat them and can consistently beat them from that point. If you have people like that where you grapple then i would put you as you could do it in a practise, if not, unless you are the person i would put it as doubt.

Like there is a video of two people fighting in a gym over weights and one of them ends up in a top mount postion with legs either side of them, and the person on the bottom isnt getting out of it/winning from that position. I think they both did weight things and were comprable sizes/strengths.

Addendum: to be fair, extremes are always brought in, because you either get the crowd who shun you for being too strong or you get the body builder crowd who think they can muscle for everything and how boxing technique has little to do with your muscles when you can jab someone in the face 3 times without a counter attack. You need decent athelticism and technique is application of it. The small people can beat the obscenely big people are just as deluded as the "i can bench 200kilos so can beat everyone" crowd.

addendum 2: obviously grappling is more strenght reliant than striking.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes in physics, the absence of light is dark, black. In paint or pigment, black may be all colors. I know when I've tried to mix colors on the spot and go a little to far, it goes black....or close to it.
what it goes is very very dark red or blue (usually) and reflects light just about on the edge of our colour perception, so it does indeed look black, its reflecting light you can barely see and there a lot of daltonism about so one mans dark red is another mans black

i cant tell you how often ive heard two people arguing over what colour a car is and thats before you put it under sodium lights

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know what, let me go take a three-year break from my real life and prove to everyone how right I am by focusing on lifting and boxing only. The world needs to be enlightened.

This sounds great. I am in full support. I await your final report when you are finished.

Does this mean we won’t hear from you again for at least three years? Awesome!!

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This sounds great. I am in full support. I await your final report when you are finished.

Does this mean we won’t hear from you again for at least three years? Awesome!!

In other words, when he grows up and learns the value of listening. I never go by other's opinions, but I did take their opinions seriously, especially if they did what I was interested in...for much longer than me. Experience beats the heck out of postulating.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look... Can't we all just agree that PUNCHING POWER is just a matter of upper-body strength?

Think about it. Fighters like Buakaw and Tyson prioritize training their PRESSING STRENGTH more than the athletic squats and Olympic lifts. I read that Doug Hepburn, Canadian strength legend, had an uncle with such insane SHOULDER STRENGTH that he knocked out a bull with one PUNCH. I saw Gabriel Gonzaga prior to his fight against Cro Cop doing a specialized PRESSING exercise on the cable machine in a normal gym.

Come on folks, Kimbo Slice had stick legs, but because his upper body is so big and strong he became an internet sensation with his street boxing skills.

The only time the legs become TRULY valuable is when you are dealing with an exceptional boxer who really does know proper punching technique and is able to replicate that technique in a fight. Otherwise, everyone is relegated to just using his UPPER BODY strength.

As for Tyson being a great puncher who uses his legs... Dude, NO. I don't know what standards people are using but allow me to be blunt here. No human being is capable of acquiring truly strong legs through aerobics, which is literally what all elite strikers in sports end up doing. No. Without powerlifting, bodybuilding, or Olympic lifting, your legs are just noodles.

Really, I just wanna argue this. Lots of "boxing experts" think they're smart when they say "punching is all about the legs" when they themselves can't squat a twig.

Boxing is a matter of conditioning and skill, with their legs serving as gas tanks more than a factor in being heavy-handed.

What are your thoughts?

P. S. = Please save me your arguments about how strength does not equal to power. Trust me. Don't bring that up.
giphy.gif

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
In other words, when he grows up and learns the value of listening. I never go by other's opinions, but I did take their opinions seriously, especially if they did what I was interested in...for much longer than me. Experience beats the heck out of postulating.
What will happen is he will go in the gym thinking he’s all that because he can lift weight. They’ll do some pads and he’ll gas within a few minutes because he’s not used to thr cardio of boxing which is perfectly normal for any beginner. Then They will spar and he will get dominated by a lot smaller people including women because they are more skilled. Then he’ll realize how wrong he was and his ego will take a bruising. Then he’s got to make the choice of whether to take his ball and go home and never come back or if he’ll suck it up swallow his pride and commit to getting better. We’ll see...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What will happen is he will go in the gym thinking he’s all that because he can lift weight. They’ll do some pads and he’ll gas within a few minutes because he’s not used to thr cardio of boxing which is perfectly normal for any beginner. Then They will spar and he will get dominated by a lot smaller people including women because they are more skilled. Then he’ll realize how wrong he was and his ego will take a bruising. Then he’s got to make the choice of whether to take his ball and go home and never come back or if he’ll suck it up swallow his pride and commit to getting better. We’ll see...
You're still assuming that he's actually serious. I'm no longer convinced.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the issue i have with grappling as a example, yes there are inescapable postions espeically if you dont know what you are doing or the bio mechnics. But if you are so obscenely stronger and heavier than the person you are grappling and arent used to it they can just power through with very basic /no skills. Dont a lot of grappling coaches have stories of that one person who comes in who is a strength athelete or something they cant submit, unless they have a equal intrest/obsession with building strength? Then they usually beat them and can consistently beat them from that point. If you have people like that where you grapple then i would put you as you could do it in a practise, if not, unless you are the person i would put it as doubt.

Like there is a video of two people fighting in a gym over weights and one of them ends up in a top mount postion with legs either side of them, and the person on the bottom isnt getting out of it/winning from that position. I think they both did weight things and were comprable sizes/strengths.

Addendum: to be fair, extremes are always brought in, because you either get the crowd who shun you for being too strong or you get the body builder crowd who think they can muscle for everything and how boxing technique has little to do with your muscles when you can jab someone in the face 3 times without a counter attack. You need decent athelticism and technique is application of it. The small people can beat the obscenely big people are just as deluded as the "i can bench 200kilos so can beat everyone" crowd.

addendum 2: obviously grappling is more strenght reliant than striking.

In the photo I posted that this relates too, either man would hold down BeeBrian quite easily, for as long as they wanted, no matter how strong Brian is.

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe that punching power comes from turning your body at the right time which involves hips and legs and shoulders to create the best power on a target. Before I trained in karate, I was a bodybuilder for 18 years, benched 425 lbs, squatted 500 lbs had 20 inch arms, etc and that did not help my punching power. I had good power when I started training but didn't develop great power until 5 years into my training.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe that punching power comes from turning your body at the right time which involves hips and legs and shoulders to create the best power on a target. Before I trained in karate, I was a bodybuilder for 18 years, benched 425 lbs, squatted 500 lbs had 20 inch arms, etc and that did not help my punching power. I had good power when I started training but didn't develop great power until 5 years into my training.
but this is just the other way,
.as i said to brian, the most difficult part of punching is being fast enough to hit the other guy, which is then totally dependent on how fast the other guy is at ether punching you first ir getting out of the way,

untill they start landing, the rest is academic, when they do, your oubches need to be hard enough to prefrably knock him over at the very least back him up,

if they do that, then they are hard enough and that doesnt matter where that comes from, if he is over he is over, if i arm punch some one clean i do rather exspect them to fall over

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The ability (strength) is only the 50%. The other 50% is the technique (body unification).

1. Freeze the body, only punch with the arm.
2. Freeze the legs, only punch with the upper body and arm.
3. Use the whole body (legs, upper body, arm) to punch.

IMO 1 < 2 < 3.

If we consider the human body as 3 springs:

- arm,
- body,
- leg.

Without MA training, all 3 springs function separately. With MA training, all 3 springs can be compressed at the same time, and also released at the same time.

The OP thinks to be able to coordinate arm and upper body (2 springs) is good enough. He totally forget that he also has the 3rd spring - leg.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just realized I never actually answered this question. We can actually all agree (sans you) that punching power is not just a matter of upper-body strength.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Uh; No we can't. There is more to punching power than just upper-body strength.

I just wanna argue this.

What are your thoughts?

P. S. = Please save me your arguments about how strength does not equal to power. Trust me. Don't bring that up.
You want to argue this, ask for other's thoughts and then you say save your arguments that strength does not equal power. Huh!???

So you don't want to argue nor do you what other's thoughts...unless they agree with you?

Latest Discussions