Look... Can't we all just agree that PUNCHING POWER is just a matter of upper-body strength?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know black isnt a colour
In pigment, it is, in practice (because combined pigments don’t properly absorb enough light). In light, it isn’t. But you’re correct, since color in pigment is actually about reflected/absorbed light frequencies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The thought of challenging someone who is big, muscular, AND is a great boxer is terrifying. Not a good idea for me, even for some light sparring.

This might sound cowardly but I'll only challenge the smaller folks first, testing the waters and see where I'm at. Of course I won't challenge the small AND UNSKILLED fighters. That's just stupid. Rather, I'll challenge the ones I think I can overwhelm with sheer athleticism but nowhere near to their level with their skills and techniques.

That's what I'd love to try out.

Of course, my goals will change. But right now, for relatively short term, I wanna prove a point.

Brian, see this fella?

Willie.Jpeg

This is my buddy, Willie. One of his nicknames at work was QT. For quarter ton. Because he benched over five hundred pounds with ease. I forget what he squatted, I think it was small planets.

QT was born in the toughest section of the city, trained fighting arts since childhood, wrestled, boxed did Martial Arts, lifted since he was a teen. This is also QT...

WillieMoss.jpg

He's what we call a serious Motherfather.

Here's QT again, with one of my instructors...

WillieRickson.jpg

My instructor only lifted weights a couple of weeks before each time he competed. Not for strength, just to toughen the body for abuse in the ring. You might figure if they grappled, hands and arms on each other, QT would have his way, he's a good fighter and extremely strong. The reason he's laughing in the photo is he had just been submitted five times in two minutes. As QT put it "he treated me as if I was a new born, never once using an ounce of strength, just gently putting me where ever the hell he wanted. I tapped more than Sammy Davis Jr."

You might say that has nothing to do with striking. You'ld be right, it doesn't. But I strike much harder than QT ever thought of, it's not even close, honest. He'd tell you the same thing.

Punching doesn't equate to strength unless you know how to punch. And sometimes it takes more than a week to learn. :)

I think you'll have better success if you open your mind. Empty your cup as we say in the Arts.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brian, see this fella?

View attachment 23208

This is my buddy, Willie. One of his nicknames at work was QT. For quarter ton. Because he benched over five hundred pounds with ease. I forget what he squatted, I think it was small planets.

QT was born in the toughest section of the city, trained fighting arts since childhood, wrestled, boxed did Martial Arts, lifted since he was a teen. This is also QT...

View attachment 23209

He's what we call a serious Motherfather.

Here's QT again, with one of my instructors...

View attachment 23210

My instructor only lifted weights a couple of weeks before each time he competed. Not for strength, just to toughen the body for abuse in the ring. You might figure if they grappled, hands and arms on each other, QT would have his way, he's a good fighter and extremely strong. The reason he's laughing in the photo is he had just been submitted five times in two minutes. As QT put it "he treated me as if I was a new born, never once using an ounce of strength, just gently putting me where ever the hell he wanted. I tapped more than Sammy Davis Jr."

You might say that has nothing to do with striking. You'ld be right, it doesn't. But I strike much harder than QT ever thought of, it's not even close, honest. He'd tell you the same thing.

Punching doesn't equate to strength unless you know how to punch. And sometimes it takes more than a week to learn. :)

I think you'll have better success if you open your mind. Empty your cup as we say in the Arts.

Buka...

But QT wrestled. What the hell.

Dude, this makes no sense. Yes he's strong, but more to the point, he WRESTLED.

What the hell...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buka...

But QT wrestled. What the hell.

Dude, this makes no sense. Yes he's strong, but more to the point, he WRESTLED.

What the hell...

It doesn’t make sense because you lack experience with either party.

A lot of things in life don’t make sense when there’s no first hand knowledge or experience. I think that’s why learning is so much fun,

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
47D6EC22-2D84-46F7-87F6-5C1B8FDC9AE3.png

Brian, are you familiar with the knee on belly position? If not, wrap your mind around this if you can.....The photo I shared with you of QT and my instructor...if either one of them had you in this position, and you weren’t familiar with that position, you could not force your way out of that position with either one of them no matter how much strength you have, no matter how crazy you went.

Not with QT because he’s familiar with it and is as at least as strong as you, probably stronger. And not with the other guy just.....because.

And neither one of them would even have to have their hands on you.

Only because you’re not familiar with it.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
View attachment 23211
Brian, are you familiar with the knee on belly position? If not, wrap your mind around this if you can.....The photo I shared with you of QT and my instructor...if either one of them had you in this position, and you weren’t familiar with that position, you could not force your way out of that position with either one of them no matter how much strength you have, no matter how crazy you went.

Not with QT because he’s familiar with it and is as at least as strong as you, probably stronger. And not with the other guy just.....because.

And neither one of them would even have to have their hands on you.

Only because you’re not familiar with it.

Oh great. Are you now gonna tell me Dim Mak is real?

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look... Can't we all just agree that PUNCHING POWER is just a matter of upper-body strength?

Think about it. Fighters like Buakaw and Tyson prioritize training their PRESSING STRENGTH more than the athletic squats and Olympic lifts. I read that Doug Hepburn, Canadian strength legend, had an uncle with such insane SHOULDER STRENGTH that he knocked out a bull with one PUNCH. I saw Gabriel Gonzaga prior to his fight against Cro Cop doing a specialized PRESSING exercise on the cable machine in a normal gym.

Come on folks, Kimbo Slice had stick legs, but because his upper body is so big and strong he became an internet sensation with his street boxing skills.

The only time the legs become TRULY valuable is when you are dealing with an exceptional boxer who really does know proper punching technique and is able to replicate that technique in a fight. Otherwise, everyone is relegated to just using his UPPER BODY strength.

As for Tyson being a great puncher who uses his legs... Dude, NO. I don't know what standards people are using but allow me to be blunt here. No human being is capable of acquiring truly strong legs through aerobics, which is literally what all elite strikers in sports end up doing. No. Without powerlifting, bodybuilding, or Olympic lifting, your legs are just noodles.

Really, I just wanna argue this. Lots of "boxing experts" think they're smart when they say "punching is all about the legs" when they themselves can't squat a twig.

Boxing is a matter of conditioning and skill, with their legs serving as gas tanks more than a factor in being heavy-handed.

What are your thoughts?

P. S. = Please save me your arguments about how strength does not equal to power. Trust me. Don't bring that up.

You don't know much. That's my thought.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only way anybody learns anything, is through several years of study and even more effort.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that your upper body strength plays more into your power, but your core and leg strength play into your speed. I say this, because in terms of tone, I go legs > core > arms, and yet when I've tested arm punches, they're half of what a fully body punch would be. If leg and core strength were more important, then those punches would be much weaker.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
My point exactly. Mike Tyson lifted weights. Muscles are everything.
He also trained boxing every single day and in fact his career went downhill the moment he stopped relying on technique and started focusing on his power trying to ko everyone with one shot

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh great. Are you now gonna tell me Dim Mak is real?
look get your ego in check. No one In a boxing gym cares What you bench press or what you squat or any of that? No one will ask you about it because no one cares. You will go in there and you will get beaten up because you don’t have a clue how to fight and you’ll be sparring people who can fight and your muscles will do little to save you. You must’ve missed the video I posted of Eddie hall getting tuned up by a lightweight

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
look get your ego in check. No one In a boxing gym cares What you bench press or what you squat or any of that? No one will ask you about it because no one cares. You will go in there and you will get beaten up because you don’t have a clue how to fight and you’ll be sparring people who can fight and your muscles will do little to save you. You must’ve missed the video I posted of Eddie hall getting tuned up by a lightweight

You know what, let me go take a three-year break from my real life and prove to everyone how right I am by focusing on lifting and boxing only. The world needs to be enlightened.

No strategy can turn one man into a killing machine. We need an army for that. And as long as you are not as stupid as Xerxes, you will come out victorious in a war if you have the superior weaponpower, firepower and manpower.

KOKarate, you need to be awakened from your dogmatic slumber and realize that martial arts are overrated. Violence is where it's at. Here's the difference between useless martial art and practical violence. Here's martial arts...

On the other hand, VIOLENCE.

Violence always wins.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I do. The only value these coaches have is their knowledge of specific skills to be trained and empirical knowledge of proven but outdated strength + conditioning methods. Except the latter is not a compliment, which leaves the former. Meaning THE ONLY knowledge that these boxing coaches have of value is teaching technique and certain MOTOR SKILLS.

I'm not even an exercise scientist but I can train a better boxer than them. NOT in the skills and technique department, mind you, but FITNESS and STRENGTH.

I'll combine the best of both worlds and show people that there is a better way to train boxers than making them do useless jump ropes.

Oh man... I can't even begin to explain how very, very incorrect this is.... Boxing coaches do NOT just teach technique. And what a very strange conclusion to assume that every single coach has outdated strength + conditioning methods, very far from true...

I highly recommend you keep an open kind and actually listen to the incredibly experienced folk on this forum. They do know a thing or two...

You can do as you please of course, but I know of many cases of people believing they have all the answers and have had the best training, go into a gym to challenge their guys, and get seriously, seriously hurt. Certainly don't want you to get seriously hurt, hence why I respectfully advise you listen. Otherwise, you may learn the very hard and unnecessary way..

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
You know what, let me go take a three-year break from my real life and prove to everyone how right I am by focusing on lifting and boxing only. The world needs to be enlightened.

No strategy can turn one man into a killing machine. We need an army for that. And as long as you are not as stupid as Xerxes, you will come out victorious in a war if you have the superior weaponpower, firepower and manpower.

KOKarate, you need to be awakened from your dogmatic slumber and realize that martial arts are overrated. Violence is where it's at. Here's the difference between useless martial art and practical violence. Here's martial arts...

On the other hand, VIOLENCE.

Violence always wins.
What are you even talking about?.....no one said a thing about “killing machines” you want to enlighten us.... maybe you should actually get in the gym and train instead of talking nonsense online. Also did you seriously just post a cartoon to show what violence is...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are you even talking about?.....no one said a thing about “killing machines” you want to enlighten us.... maybe you should actually get in the gym and train instead of talking nonsense online. Also did you seriously just post a cartoon to show what violence is...
its not surprising he posted a cartoon to show what a woman is !

there's a certain element of not being able to separate fiction and reality going on here.

id bet a pound we have another rat, holding forth but never actually going to a class developing here

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will learn what you can teach me about certain skills and techniques.

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless. Bruce Lee said that as you probably already know. What most boxing coaches "know" (including you, very likely) about strength and conditioning is complete garbage. However, I will use you to advance my development as a boxer by grabbing what you will give me in terms of certain drills and technique development tactics.

I'm excited to enter a boxing gym, to be honest.
You sound completely delusional at this point.