Long-Range Kicks

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what are the non-jump, long range kicks that the pracitioners on this board know of in relation to TKD or other kicking arts?

A unique kick I have seen is a stepping front leg side kick, where one dips, and then uses the momentum of the lowering, and step to execute a chambered side-kick with a slide on the back leg. I've seen it clear 12 feet with a 6 foot person. I can only get 10 with it, but I haven't practiced it for very long.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about covering horizontal distance, not jumping 10 feet in the air.

The problem with that sort of long-range skipping kick is that any competent opponent will almost always move out of the way well before the kick lands - there's just too much time to see it coming.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
If Were talking the sensible kind of long range;

Normal Side Kick only with a lunge.
Normal Front Kick only with a lunge.

If Your Opponent is some ridiculous distance away;

Sliding Side Kick.
Sliding Front Kick.

Personally, I just use the fine art of walking to get closer.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it depends on the distance you are from your opponent at the onset of the kick. And whether he moves straight back or not. If a guy moves ten feet back from me, I'm just gonna write instead of kick.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Out of curiosity, what are the non-jump, long range kicks that the pracitioners on this board know of in relation to TKD or other kicking arts?

A unique kick I have seen is a stepping front leg side kick, where one dips, and then uses the momentum of the lowering, and step to execute a chambered side-kick with a slide on the back leg. I've seen it clear 12 feet with a 6 foot person. I can only get 10 with it, but I haven't practiced it for very long.

Really nothing that I can think of. I would never attack a skilled opponent with a step in or skip in side kick. I might use it on someone with no skill, but then again maybe not because I would use the skills I practiced to defeat a skilled practitioner.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really nothing that I can think of. I would never attack a skilled opponent with a step in or skip in side kick. I might use it on someone with no skill, but then again maybe not because I would use the skills I practiced to defeat a skilled practitioner.
That pretty much covers my question..... why would you bother? But then I don't practise TKD. :asian:

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its a matter of footwork, not so much the kick. Otherwise it's anything other than a knee (or shin, or instep. Usually toe perhaps?) while you're stretching your supporting leg as far as is advisable.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm thinking... he's that far away, he doesn't want to engage.

From blowing my right knee out at 20 doing distance kicking drills when my partner flinched & moved my target airshield, I can tell you now if you're out of my kicking range without me moving, engaging is not your first level of concern.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe a flying side kick describes that type of kick.

It's not a kick I practice. I stay grounded for two reasons.

1) I hit harder when I'm rooted.
2) I don't fly very well. I plummet OK, but that's not really a good self-defense technique.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

1) I hit harder when I'm rooted.
2) I don't fly very well. I plummet OK, but that's not really a good self-defense technique.
Flying Plummet Strike.
How HAVENT You just mastered that?
Its were You bare Your muscles, run at someone whos at long range, yelling at them.
Then You jump high and long...
And Plummet on top of them, crushing them under a blend of weight and awesomeness.
Its one of the best SD methods around for not-lightweights! Lightweights just jump on Your face and stuff.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

1) I hit harder when I'm rooted. :rolleyes:
Mmm. When I'm rooted I don't do anything well! :uhyeah:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

This thread has been moved to Forum:
The Great Debate due to excessive forum disruption surrounding the OP. We have not vetted this thread for content. If members other than the OP wish it restored please contact the Administrators.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
back leg roundhouse and back kick.
This one I always liked. High roundhouse to draw their hands up, with a mid-range back kick.
Even if their hands don't go up and they decide to punch, that back kick WILL hurt ya............

Latest Discussions