Living "Off The Grid"?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our neighbors keep chickens (got rid of the rooster, thank gawd), and I know of urban bee keepers as well. Lots of options if you keep your profile small, even in a crowded urban environment.

My wife keeps talking about getting the neighbors together to tear down the fences that separate our back yards, and turning the space into a functional urban farm with crops, animals, bees, fruit trees, etc. The average yard in our neck of the woods is about 40 feet by 25 feet, so on our own there isn't much room to do stuff. But if we get 6 or 8 neighbors to combine our space, we could grow and share quite a bit. I doubt the neighbors will go for it, but if society ever starts to collapse it might be worth pushing the idea. Problem is, we barely know any of our neighbors at all. Nice idea, tho.

you don't have to tear gown the fences, just put in plenty of gates! ;)

(John Seyemore, The self sustained Life and how to live it, it's been on my night stand for a long time now....he also has a gardening book out. Good ideas on how to make small properties work hard to feed the family)
http://www.amazon.com/John-Seymour/e/B001ILFL04

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is an interesting 'take' on non-corporate power generation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-13132592

the bummer bit is the part about earning on the investment in 25 years. That's what holds me back. If it takes me 25 years to recoup the cost of outfitting my home with the proper equipment to get me off the grid, it becomes a bit burdensome. If it was down to 10 years, I'd be looking pretty strongly at it. Five years and it's a no-brainer.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, sharing produce is a nice way to make friends...just don't do it with Zuchini, or by the end of the summer NO neighbor will talk to you, fearing to be 'blessed' with more produce...

Latest Discussions