Lifting Weights for Martial Arts

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lifting Weights for Martial Arts

By Bee T. Brian

Bruce Lee, the legendary Chinese Hollywood Badass Man, once said, "You must lift weights in order to KO someone, grasshoppah!"

So obviously, there is value in strength training, because Bruce Lee said it. But even common sense and conventional wisdom speak volumes of the pure awesomeness and effectiveness of getting bigger and stronger. In fact, virtually all professional fighters of the 21st century do some form of strength training.

Like for example, Brock Lesnar.

And some MMA dude doing a one-arm overhead press with a full grown woman.

Ever since bodybuilding became a popular sport, the media put a large emphasis on training routines that looked something like this...

*Mondays through Fridays = Chest and Biceps

*Saturdays = Playing rugby with friends for "the legs"

*Sundays = Wrist curls

And it makes you wonder if these writers are trolling, because who the hell needs bigger chest and biceps if they are the least important muscles in all of sports? My theory is that an evil football warlord decided to wage war against people with lots of potential by lovely up their minds. He thought, "If everyone in the United States stopped being lazy and started doing squats, everyone would have the athletic ability of an NFL quarterback, making football lose its mystique. BRB gonna write an article about how to increase your penis length through concentration curlz."

But for every evil football warlord is a heroic weightlifting messiah...

During the 1970s, former weightlifter and powerlifter Bill Starr decided to endeavor in the world of strength coaching. And because of his extensive lifting background, he actually knew what athletes really needed: More strength. He created the Ultimate Anti-Curl Routine by putting Power Cleans and Squats in a training program. And although I haven't read nor do I own his book, I am sure it was really awesome, because his training program spawned Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and Madcow's 5x5.

The philosophy of Bill Starr was very simple. "Less is more, and more of less is more." By "Less", he meant "Less exercises that are potentially useless to an athlete" but "More of the remaining exercises within reasonable limit." And in those words came the birth of the American version of Bulgarian training, which was "Squat 3 times a week."

For years after the rise of his book, The Strongest Shall Survive, many coaches in many sports who believed in logic and reason, followed his training concepts. This influence carried over to the bodybuilding world, helping many men and women pack on serious size and strength.

In the world of Martial Arts however... oh lord...

Sample training program from Mega Martial Arts magazine:

*Inject lactic acid into your bloodstream...

WTF!

Thankfully, we got people like Martin Rooney, who said something very very smart.

"Stronger grapplers need to exert less effort in their moves, making them last longer than weaker fighters."

According to Rooney, real effective training programs for martial artists, or any athlete for that matter, involves actually getting someone stronger. And this includes having legitimate gains with typical "gym lifts," such as the Squat, the Bench Press, and the Deadlift.

So without further ado, here is the Ultimate Karate Training Program for the Muay Thai Fighter:

*Read Bill Starr's book, 3 sets of 10 days.

*Read Mark Rippetoe's book, 3 sets of 10 months.

*Learn about Nutrition, 5 sets of education.

*Apply what you learned in a weight room, Infinite sets of a Lifetime.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Today before training. I am going to jog on a gymnastic crash mat while throwing a 20 kg plate around. Run up and down a room doing squats and lunges with a kick boxing bag on my shoulders and abs with a medicine ball.

Bros don't let bros miss leg day.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think some martial artists confuse "trying to use strength" in their MA technique (muscling through) with some sort of disadvantage in being strong/training for strength.

Sure. Someone with good technique may be able to defeat a stronger opponent. But that doesn't prove that strength training is detrimental.

There's a HUGE difference between good application of good technique with average (non-strength training) strength and application of good technique WITH strength improvements acquired through strength specific training.

And the "bulk will slow me down" thing is pure myth....

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Technique-specific strength is crucial to good performance in the MA's besides general functional strength. I don't use dumbbells and I barely use barbells, but I do use kettlebells (2x 20kg, 2x 24kg, 2x 28kg) and sandbags (1x 57kg). Bodyweight training on top of all that.

I like Martin Rooney. He gives sound advice on conditioning specific to combat sports. As a hobby or therapy I suppose I'd let a lack of strength training slide. But for those serious with self-defense or competition, strength is essential. Technique is nice, but it only gets you so far. Speed and power are just as important when faced with an active, resisting, moving and dynamic target.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheer men can lift too. :)

upload_2015-4-7_9-33-30.jpeg

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think some martial artists confuse "trying to use strength" in their MA technique (muscling through) with some sort of disadvantage in being strong/training for strength.

Sure. Someone with good technique may be able to defeat a stronger opponent. But that doesn't prove that strength training is detrimental.

There's a HUGE difference between good application of good technique with average (non-strength training) strength and application of good technique WITH strength improvements acquired through strength specific training.

And the "bulk will slow me down" thing is pure myth....

I knew a guy once that kind of boggled my mind. He was a pudgy power lifter, about 5 "8. Probably 200 pounds. I would guess that 30 or 40 or it was fat. But....dude, I couldn't lay a finger on him. His footwork was too fast. He couldn't keep it up for long, but, for those first 5 minutes or so...wow. He was big into football.

I don't think bulk slows you down much either. Although, I do think weightlifting can slow down some movements, it isn't really due to bulk. It's more like....your calibrated for a different kind of task. Only for your arms though. It doesn't seem to matter as much with other parts of your body.
Maybe this is just me? After recovering from weight lifting (shoulders, deltoids, traps), it's harder for me to do horizontal movements, or anything that doesn't involve stabbing someone with a punch from boxing stance, with my usual quickness. It takes me some time to recalibrate. Does that make sense?
But the strength that comes from weight lifting itself, doesn't really slow anything down. Most people don't even come close to the level of bulk that is even suspect of slowing one down anyway.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do agree that strength training - functional training - is important. This is different than bodybuilding or even power lifting. I used the 5x5 strong lifts system and over the last two years modified some of the movements to work with my age and body issues. Example I recently introduced Bulgarian split squats (as part of some substitutes for barbell squats which kill my back) and find some benefit in both leg, core and balance skills in my practice of martial arts.

I will say that Bruce had many great ideas (I practice his concepts) which included lifting - but those "good mornings" he did - give me back issues just looking at them - and he did eventually blow out his own back. Absorb what is useful for you and disregard the rest.

OP
B

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I knew a guy once that kind of boggled my mind. He was a pudgy power lifter, about 5 "8. Probably 200 pounds. I would guess that 30 or 40 or it was fat. But....dude, I couldn't lay a finger on him. His footwork was too fast. He couldn't keep it up for long, but, for those first 5 minutes or so...wow. He was big into football.

I don't think bulk slows you down much either. Although, I do think weightlifting can slow down some movements, it isn't really due to bulk. It's more like....your calibrated for a different kind of task. Only for your arms though. It doesn't seem to matter as much with other parts of your body.
Maybe this is just me? After recovering from weight lifting (shoulders, deltoids, traps), it's harder for me to do horizontal movements, or anything that doesn't involve stabbing someone with a punch from boxing stance, with my usual quickness. It takes me some time to recalibrate. Does that make sense?
But the strength that comes from weight lifting itself, doesn't really slow anything down. Most people don't even come close to the level of bulk that is even suspect of slowing one down anyway.

Great insights. Thanks.

I think how a weight training program will fit in with a combat training program will depend on the ability of the "planner", be he the coach or the athlete himself/herself.

It doesn't take an extensive education to do this. You just need to know the few but correct things.

MantisTLK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

This happened to me, I told myself it was a mental thing and started shadow boxing post workout. I was tired from the lifts so I was slower than usual. I've done this for awhile and it has improved my overall quickness as well as stamina.

--

A weightlifting program is beneficial to any athlete; this includes martial artists. I would also like to point out that weightlifting is not just for strength or size. It can be beneficial in other areas such as injury prevention, conditioning, weight loss, cardiovascular strength and endurance, speed, agility, quickness, power or explosiveness, and last/most of all confidence.

A well organized weight lifting plan suited to you is going to increase your potential as a martial artist. BeeBrian is on target.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No matter what weight training that you do, you should still treat "body unification" more important than "muscle group isolation". For example, some people work on the weight pulley by moving his arms only and freeze his body. IMO, it's better to use the whole body to pull that weight instead (just like you apply a counter against a "single leg").

weight_pulley.jpg

Chang_downward_pull.jpg

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This happened to me, I told myself it was a mental thing and started shadow boxing post workout. I was tired from the lifts so I was slower than usual. I've done this for awhile and it has improved my overall quickness as well as stamina.

--

A weightlifting program is beneficial to any athlete; this includes martial artists. I would also like to point out that weightlifting is not just for strength or size. It can be beneficial in other areas such as injury prevention, conditioning, weight loss, cardiovascular strength and endurance, speed, agility, quickness, power or explosiveness, and last/most of all confidence.

A well organized weight lifting plan suited to you is going to increase your potential as a martial artist. BeeBrian is on target.
I'm going to start shadow boxing post workout too. That's a great idea. :)

I would argue that confidence is the greatest benefit that healthiness and martial arts can give us. People that aren't into martial arts don't this part. It's....liberating. Confidence is such a massive boost to your whole life. Even normal things like talking to people are made easier knowing you have a plan of action if something where to go wrong. Confidence can be granted even to people for who it seemed impossible to find in the past. MA doesn't work well without confidence either. Knowing how to defend yourself does you little good if you don't think you could apply it in real life.

:D Nice post.

MantisTLK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No matter what weight training that you do, you should still treat "body unification" more important than "muscle group isolation". For example, some people work on the weight pulley by moving his arms only and freeze his body. IMO, it's better to use the whole body to pull that weight instead (just like you apply a counter against a "single leg"

I disagree with this concept very strongly.

Unless the weightlifter in question is expierenced, (strong enough to squat, bench, and deadlift their own bodyweight) I would advise against trying to "create" a movement with added resistance, be it pulley, dumbbell, etc. Simply stated, it is not safe. The movements become complex (using multiple joints) very quickly, and with every joint added into a movement the risk increases.

Counter arguement - We want to isolate muscle groups in order to exhaust the muscle and force it to adapt to the stress we put on it, this is why we get stronger when lifting weights. I will put my muscles under greater stress by forcing them to work individually rather than as a unit. (sum is greater than the parts right?)
I love your term body unification, and it's place belongs on the mat. Gain strength in the gym, and technique in the dojo. To execute a single leg take down I would crouch in a lunge keeping my back straight, push off my front foot and launch my shoulder into them (doesn't matter inside or outside respectively) and move my other leg past them, coming out of the lunge while scooping the hamstring of their front leg with my arms.
Thats a lot of movement! In order for it to be effective I will need to drill the hell out of it right?

I want my single leg not only to be solid technically, but I want the strength to back it up on someone two or three times my size. If this were my goal, my "single leg take down day" would look something like this:

Power Cleans - An olympic lift, please youtube if you don't know it. Awesome for power and explosiveness, it's a complicated lift and takes a lotta juice so it goes first.

Back Squats - A basic lift, increasing the strength of my legs so when I launch, I launch hard.

Lunges - not only do I want to exhaust my hams glutes and quads with the third lower body movement in a row, but I can adapt these in a fashion similiar to my single leg takedown!

Pull ups - Any time you pull something into you, you're activating your lats, rhomboids, and traps. Pull ups not only activate all three muscle groups, they wreck em. These go fourth because your traps are going to need a solid break after those cleans.

Single arm bent over rows - About as close as I can think off of the top of my head as to the motion after landing the shoulder and pulling with my arms. Single arm because I do not want one arm to compensate for the other.

so five exercises, should be able to get it done in around an hour or so, maybe longer if it's heavy and you need longer rest periods inbetween sets. Basically all I did was break a single leg takedown into seperate pieces and strengthen the muscles individually in order to
1. Cause greater stress on the muscle and therefore greater adaptation, making the muscles stronger
2. Keep myself safe in the gym.

Hope this helps!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I disagree with this concept very strongly.

Unless the weightlifter in question is expierenced, (strong enough to squat, bench, and deadlift their own bodyweight) I would advise against trying to "create" a movement with added resistance, be it pulley, dumbbell, etc. Simply stated, it is not safe. The movements become complex (using multiple joints) very quickly, and with every joint added into a movement the risk increases.
The "pulley training" was "created" in CMA for over 1,000 years ago. It has been tested through the Chinese history the same way as the Chinese medicine has.

weight_pulley.jpg

The 1st one below is the "downward pull" training that I'm talking about. Please notice the stance used in this training. It can be used to counter a "single leg" attack by dragging your opponent down.

pulley_2.jpg

weight_pulley1.jpg

weight_pulley2.jpg

pulley_3.jpg

pulley2.jpg

I assume you may also consider the following "stone lock" and "double heads" training are not safe either.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want my single leg not only to be solid technically, but I want the strength to back it up on someone two or three times my size. If this were my goal, my "single leg take down day" would look something like this:

I would "enhance" my "single leg" this way.

Last edited:

MantisTLK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For your first post, yes you are correct in assuming I believe all of those movements are dangerous. I'm not saying they are not effective, and I'm not saying that they aren't efficient. I'm simply saying that the risk of injury performing the movement greatly outweighs the benefit. In regards to the second post's second video, I am okay with it. It is a slow and controlled movement, there is a beginning and an end, making it dynamic but not ballistic, and he has a beautiful view. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm simply saying that the risk of injury performing the movement greatly outweighs the benefit.
It depends on the amount of weight that you use on the pulley. If you try to use

- too much weight, and
- too fast speed,

you may damage your "elbow joint".

- At home, I only use 30 lb of weight because I pull it in fast speed with long rope.
- At gym, even with the short rope and slow speed, I'll never use more than 55 lb

MantisTLK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You're right. It does depend on the weight and the speed of the movement, if you've been doing these and have had success/results physically or technically and injury free then there is no reason for you to stop. At the risk of sounding argumentative I would say you are the exception. These exercises should not be the "go-to" for increased strength or stamina for your average martial artist. I'm also less concerned about the ligaments in the elbow in these exercises than I am for the rotator cuff. It's a lot of momentum and a lot of weight over head for a very small group of muscles.
I'm going to go try your exercises before I say anything else about them though, they're most certainly a different way of doing things, and variety is always good for training.

Latest Discussions