Lets get real about the USAT..

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No one qualified for the olympics and there is only one chance left. No one medaled at the WTF world Poomsae championship. When are we going to realize that the USAT is not doing what they are supposed to: Produce champions. I feel let down by the coaches and staff. Jean has never produced any champions other than his siblings and why is a fighting champion (olympic gold) in charge of our poomsae team????

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why is Jimmy Kim in charge of poomsae? Let me count the ways. JImmy Kim is a great guy and interested in poomsae. Under the current regime he will NEVER EVER get a decent appointment to coach any of the international sparring events. I have been personally informed by David Askinas and the High Performance Director that it is their and the head coaches opinion that Master Kim is a lousy coach and they won't appoint him. This is one reason Kevin Padilla went to the Olympics as alternate coach instead of Jimmy. I fought that one and lost. He was given poomsae as a consolation prize because he is so highly considered and to get him off their .....

The only hope here is that the reaming of the USAT BOD by the USOC last friday and the supposed reorganizational warning was more than a shot across the bow. USOC has ordered Askinas to have elections and a new BOD (according to sources) by Aug 30th. I am told the new BOD is supposed to hire a new CEO too. I am hoping that one is true. How this all falls will be more apparent in the coming days. If the election rules are the same crap that lead to the administrative grievances that now in 6 months have not been heard, then there is no hope. On the other hand, if somehow they suspended the bylaws or did more than is readily apparent, then it will get really interesting. There are several of the rumors about what happened I am really hoping are true.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure about Poomsae. It is more of a subjective competition, and not much for a coach to coach when competing. However for sparring I keep saying, let the fighters choose who they want to coach them. The fighters know who they are comfortable with. There is more to coaching than just seeing techniques. The mindset of a fighter is just a coachable and knowing how to handle that mindset can be a tricky thing. For example, just telling a fighter to relax may not be enough. Knowing how to get that fighter to relax or loosen up is a different story. And every person will be different. A coach can spend years building that bond to understand his or her fighter. We do a disservice to our competitors by only have the set of coaches we have.

Poomsaeguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why is Jimmy Kim in charge of poomsae? Let me count the ways. JImmy Kim is a great guy and interested in poomsae. Under the current regime he will NEVER EVER get a decent appointment to coach any of the international sparring events. I have been personally informed by David Askinas and the High Performance Director that it is their and the head coaches opinion that Master Kim is a lousy coach and they won't appoint him. This is one reason Kevin Padilla went to the Olympics as alternate coach instead of Jimmy. I fought that one and lost. He was given poomsae as a consolation prize because he is so highly considered and to get him off their .....

The only hope here is that the reaming of the USAT BOD by the USOC last friday and the supposed reorganizational warning was more than a shot across the bow. USOC has ordered Askinas to have elections and a new BOD (according to sources) by Aug 30th. I am told the new BOD is supposed to hire a new CEO too. I am hoping that one is true. How this all falls will be more apparent in the coming days. If the election rules are the same crap that lead to the administrative grievances that now in 6 months have not been heard, then there is no hope. On the other hand, if somehow they suspended the bylaws or did more than is readily apparent, then it will get really interesting. There are several of the rumors about what happened I am really hoping are true.

Very disrespectful of Master Kim

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very disrespectful of Master Kim
Yes they have been. Master Kim is a great guy, a hard working instructor and obviously he has accomplished a lot. At the last Olympics he was the only instructor to put a student on the Olympic Team besides Jean Lopez and yet he could not be appointed to go along and instead they appoint Herb Perez's buddy, a board member who votes on their salaries and bonuses to ride along, get a title and hold paddles. Oh and he was supposed to scout. However, witnesses say that when he went to scout Padilla did not film Charlotte's possible opponents, only those of the Lopez.

So yes that is very disrespectful to Master Kim, and indicative of the kind of leadership there is in this organization. I just hope the rumors that the CEO is leaving by the of the year are true.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is NOT why Master Kim is our coach; We asked for him PERIOD. He is a wonderful poomsae coach and the US Team did well this year although we did not get a medal.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is NOT why Master Kim is our coach; We asked for him PERIOD. He is a wonderful poomsae coach and the US Team did well this year although we did not get a medal.

I love Master Kim and have always thought of him as a complete instructor. Anybody would be lucky to have his input into poomsae and sparring. MSUTKD is right our poomsae team did very well just look at the scores, I know Taekwondododo and alot of them did there very best and we should applaud them for there efforts.

It is starting to kill me that we take an org that is to blame and start blamming these athletes that have done nothing but do there very best and that is what the arts is about doing our best at that given moment.

Let me just say this here I complete support whoever is on a team from the USA, simply because they where the very best that day. My son has tried for two year to make team and has not been able to, but he just keeps training and improving and learning so he can be the very best one day...

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that master kim is an excellent coach despite how my op sounded. I was not bagging on him and never would, he is awesome. I was just wondering why the usat did not select a poomsae guru and instead appoint a sparring guru as head coach for poomsae?Master southwick I sincerely apologize if you took any offense to my post. It was not intended. I was being honest and know that there are better poomsae coaches out there. Maybe they are not as motivational as dr. Kim, idk.As to the fighting coaches, get rid of them. Experiment with new staff for the National Teams unless someone makes it at the other Qualifier.

Poomsaeguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, I meant that YOU were very disrepectful! I sometimes like your posts, but I think sometimes you go too far. My I ask, do you train in Taekwondo?

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I apologized already for how my op Sounded and will not do so again. Again, I was not disrespecting Dr. Kim, I never would. I was trying to point out that there are better poomsae coaches out there who should get the chance to show what they can do. If you think I go to far then that is your opinion. I call it as I see it and will admit that I am brutally honest at times. Some people don't like what I have to say. I don't like what others have to say. And for the record I am a 5th dan kkw. If you have a personal issue with me then block my posts, I don't care.

Poomsaeguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I apologized already for how my op Sounded and will not do so again. Again, I was not disrespecting Dr. Kim, I never would. I was trying to point out that there are better poomsae coaches out there who should get the chance to show what they can do. If you think I go to far then that is your opinion. I call it as I see it and will admit that I am brutally honest at times. Some people don't like what I have to say. I don't like what others have to say. And for the record I am a 5th dan kkw. If you have a personal issue with me then block my posts, I don't care.

I was not talking to or about you. I was referring to Rsweet. But thank you for all the wonderful insight on yourself. LOL!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was not talking to or about you. I was referring to Rsweet. But thank you for all the wonderful insight on yourself. LOL!
It is always good to quote the post in referrence so there is no misdirected verbage.:uhyeah:

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, I meant that YOU were very disrepectful! I sometimes like your posts, but I think sometimes you go too far. My I ask, do you train in Taekwondo?

Well I am sorry you don't like my posts and as has been mentioned, you can always block those you do not like. Considering how hard I have fought to get Master Kim his rightful position when screwed over by the USAT, I disagree with you. However, that is the great thing about this country - the right to disagree. And yes I do and have since 1973. Do you train in taekwondo?

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The Lopez clan does not do Poomse?

One of the teens at our school went to a couple of trial classes at their school, and they didn't even teach poomse. We don't cover patterns each class either, so that could have been chance, but I got the impression that fighting is the focus.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ron, do you think if Charlotte had wanted Jimmy Kim at the Olympics and ask for him they USAT would have granted that wish?

I am not saying in any way that Jimmy Kim is not qualified, but I also think Ronda does have a point as to why the USAT agreed with your choice as Coach. I personally believe that the Poomse team would have perhaps taken a medal or two if the USAT would have paid for the competitors way, but it seems that Davie would rather spend $12,000 removing members. How many Poomse competitors do you think $12,000 would have sent?

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Could you please explain why you think Ronda was so disrespectful? I know Ronda has a very high respect for Jimmy Kim and in fact has fought many times when it came to Kevin Padilla being selected to go to the Olympics as an Assistant Coach rather than Jimmy Kim who actually had a student at the Olympics!

Poomsaeguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I am sorry you don't like my posts and as has been mentioned, you can always block those you do not like. Considering how hard I have fought to get Master Kim his rightful position when screwed over by the USAT, I disagree with you However, that is the great thing about this country - the right to disagree. And yes I do and have since 1973. Do you train in taekwondo?
I have been told a lot of things of people, using good taste I choose not to post them. I can tell that you have a passion for something, I just not so sure what it is! I read you blog. I get it. You feel you have been wronged, and you may have been. I just know that if I were Master Kim and I were to read your post here that it would be upsetting. I have met the man once at a team training session last year, He seemed very knowledgeable of poomsae. As for me training, well.......:ultracool

Latest Discussions