USOC meeting with the USAT

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Things seem very quite after the board meeting last Friday that many members missed due to the USOC calling the USAT into a meeting. What we know so far is that the USOC has ordered the USAT to hold elections this month. What we also are hearing and it seems to be on good word, that they also have asked David Askinas to resign. What we don't know is how he responded or if he will, I don't see him leaving without a struggle.

It is clear however that his contract will not be renewed and if the buzz is correct that leaves him leaving either in October or January depending on who you want to believe. What we also do not know is other than the seats that have not been filled for months and those that expired in 2010 if any others will be open for election. ( Marty Mankamyer) I am guessing that Eric and Jason Han's positions are safe as they are protected by the athletes vote. The new board will then have the task of hiring a new CEO.

What we have also been told is that there will be some staff that will also be replaced, wish I could say more or know more but not enough information at this point. This should be interesting!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would just like for it to be "interesting" in a good way. I'm tired of the kind of 'interesting' that is like the old curse: "May you live in interesting times." We get enough of that with the national government...don't need it from an NGB.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope for new sparring coaches and a better athlete development camps. More opportunities for new blood!!!

OP
H

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
We can only hope that those in the sport that want to make a real change will step up and will be offered an opportunity to truly serve the athletes. I actually am positive we might be in the right direction only because I think this is the last chance to make any kind of real change.

OP
H

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
And the reason I believe the are also cleaning house with staff.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good riddens, this ORG has been spiralling down hill from day 1 and has only been focused on glorifying the Lopezs and paying Herb. The good ole boy network has proven not to produce and has not been held accountable.

I am more than ready for a COMPLETE change in this so-called NGB that has lost the respect of the world of Taekwondo.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe some money can now trickle down to the athletes. I think that our athletes that make team should have their air fare, lodging and tournament fees all taken care of by USAT. Especially when going to compete overseas (international). Why are these representatives forced to foot their own bill. Why work so hard to make team only to get no backing at all. You make team you get taken care of.

OP
H

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe some money can now trickle down to the athletes. I think that our athletes that make team should have their air fare, lodging and tournament fees all taken care of by USAT. Especially when going to compete overseas (international). Why are these representatives forced to foot their own bill. Why work so hard to make team only to get no backing at all. You make team you get taken care of.

The reason they are forced to foot their own bill is the USAT can't afford to pay the athletes and Kevin Padilla, Herb, and the many others that tag along for a free trip! It has not been about the athletes in a long time, its all about seeing the world on the USAT memberships dime in the exclusive USAT Club!