Leg Pain

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am new to Tae Kwon Do and have been taking it for just a little over a month. I have never taken any type of martial arts before and I'm in my early 40's. I enjoy doing Tae Kwon Do and look forward to my classes I go three times a week. As stated in an earlier post, Tae Kwon Do is a family affair for us meaning the whole family is taken it.

My question is reference leg pain, mainly to my right leg. In my hip/groin area, where your legs connect to the torso, I have pain. I've been told it is my tendons and that their sore because they are areas I have not used in the past. After warming up and stretching, my legs will feel fine. However, if at times I'm kicking, all of a sudden I feel a sharp pain and the rest of my work out shows my weak kicks. I usally go home and ice my legs, but at times they are so sore that I have to lift my own leg with my hands to put my pants on. After a day or two of rest, I'm able to get my legs to function and get ready for class. My left leg seems as though it is getting use to the training, but my right leg has not seem to heal yet as I still have a constant pain to it. even though it seems the pain is subsiding a little. Does anyone know roughly how long it can take to get use to the workouts. I don't mind soreness of my muscles and look forward to it as I know things are working out. I just don't want pain so I can continue doing Tae Kwon Do. Any advice would be appreciated

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have 2 custom fit titanium leg braces for my war injuries during my time in service. 2 things i would recommend strongly are: 1. get as hip and hamstring flexible as you can. 2. warm up throughly, before and go slow in the kicking drills. Because of my knees during kicking I always use front leg.

On the one and 3 step sparring techniques I go turtle slow. It is all about flexibility and good chamber. Period. If you need further help my friend PM me. I have used TKD as physical therapy so I could continue belting up in hapkido and teaching Yudo at my school.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race. It isn't how fast you throw a kick it is how well you chamber the kick that matters.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
sounds like a sciatic nerve thing...have a doctor look at it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See a doctor. It could be nothing... but it could be something, and if it is, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible, before it gets any worse.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes to the above. See a doctor. Soreness is normal, and even welcome, because it's tangible evidence that you're working an area that is out of condition. A lot of weight-trainees complain if they have an intense workout and don't feel delayed-onset soreness within a few days. But pain, real pain, sharp shooting pain of the sort you're describing, is usually a bad sign. Check it out, soon.

OP
C

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advise, I have set up a doctor's appt to have it checked out.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I won't echo the advice you've been given, because it is great advice, but Congrats on taking up TKD with the whole family. :D I joined with all 4 of my children, and it has been great!

jim

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with my collegues. See a doctor & get a proffesional opinion.

Keep us updated!